How has the shift into retirement affected your ExplorOzing ?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:14
ThreadID: 107125 Views:2410 Replies:12 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Well I'm really only semi retired but for us its been an opportunity to get the wheels dirty at least once a week instead of once a fortnight , but I have noted some friends seem to basically slide into doing nothing and wondering how others might have approached the issue.

As a longtime professional engineer life was constantly objective orientated.

Designing something then having to see it through and taking the blame if it stuffed up, and this always keeps you on your toes.

With exploring its been the same, set an objective in advance, go for it and analyze the result.

A recent objective was to come up with a new way to get to Simpson Geocentre in 24 hrs which I think we made with under 1/2 hour to spare (correct me if I'm wrong Howard).

There are also other types of objectives though like teaching the kids, and in the photo my white Patrol has its rear wheel right on the edge of an unseen 1m deep hole and my other patrol (driven by the kids) has come in to rescue dad, but has found itself in danger of slipping badly and the conclusion became quite a lessen in weight distribution and soft sand.

As one of the founding members of the "Coffee Club" I do appreciate that there is more to exploring than exploring but what is your view on the balance of retirement philosphies ?

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 11:57

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 11:57
Pondering on your photo...................
I'm surprised, as you are a longtime professional engineer, you have not suggested having lockers installed.
Tongue in cheek of course :)
AnswerID: 530000

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 14:33

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 14:33
Hi Crusier

Actually that was an interesting rescue and we had to think about it a bit, in the white car I knew instantly that it was going down and stopped very early but still the passenger side rear axle was on the sand with that rear wheel just over the edge.

No where to winch from really either , maybe we could have found a small bush over the hill to the right but it would have been a hard pull in the very soft sand, but we decided otherwise(Well also the kids were very anxious to rescue Dad even if he could have got out himself).

So over came the grey patrol with its huge 37's but it soon also began to sink and as you can see, slid towards the white car.

Eventually we positioned the grey car to pull the white car from the driver rear at a 45 degree angle to the track , mainly because it had little traction also, and could just give little tugs.
The white car was also very close to the edge at the front as well , so close that if pulled straight back its front may have gone over the edge.
So we actually turned the steering to full left lock. At first this would seem wrong as with left lock the rear of the car would have gone over the edge.

However by using left lock combined with the backwards/rightside tugs the car came back and its front moved to the right, so the combined forces pulled both ends away from the track edge at the same time.

It only had to move a meter and all would be ok.

I figured if we had kicked in the front locker then the resistance to the car rolling backwards caused by 2 locked wheels may not have brought the front of the car back to track centre.

Surprisingly the sand was so soft I couldn't even drive back up that hill from standing start after the rescue , but the car with 37's did just, on its second go, and only after backing up 1 extra car length.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 812846

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 18:54

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 18:54
At first the photo looks as though you're at the sand hill going up to Salt Creek form Tea Tree Crossing SA until I noticed the number plates.

That section of terrain in the photo is very similar with the trucks going off the sides. Have done a few recoveries in that same situation only resorting to snatching back down, the sides of trucks are not a pretty sight afterwards, a great lesson for novice drivers though.

Enjoy your retirement, stay fit and healthy for many 4x4 fun to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 812882

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:56

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:56
Photo's up near the border track Cruiser !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 812888

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 12:35

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 12:35
Robin, will let you know at the end of May next year. So far, the lead up is good, Cape York last year, Arnhem Land this July/August and then lots of little trips planned before end of May 2015. Looking forward to the extra time to plan and research further trips, have the time to spend extra days when ever you want too and also not have to rush back to work. Last year, I was the only one not retired and had 7 weeks off, the others had already been away for a month or two, ahhhhhhh, such is the life of the retiree.........

Look forward to having a tea with the coffee club soon. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530003

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 18:06

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 18:06
Good stuff John , never been to Arnhem land , hope you write it up after the trip , or at least remember a few good stories for the coffee club - don't forget mild exaggeration will be ok !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 812874

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 15:19

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 15:19
Slow day in 'Paradise' Mr Miller ????????
AnswerID: 530020

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 15:49

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 15:49
Gday
Sounds like it Ken.....

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 812851

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 15:56

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 15:56
Gday
So far Robin my retirement has been a success. We , Kathy and I have two trips planned together, both with most of the family, and I have another planned for myself in September October (EO gathering)
. I do quite a bit of baby sitting with 5 grand kids , become a founding member of a coffee club, broken my right arm so no driving and done one trip into the bush, its all a go Robin.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530026

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 18:09

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 18:09
Gee I hope it wasn't your coffee arm you broke else you may be in serious trouble espically if those grand kids pull on it a bit Muz.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 812875

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 16:21

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 16:21
Explorozing & retirement.

Pre - Could manage one good trip a year at best more like 2_3 years.

Since rejoycement I do One big trip a year (CSR, GVD, Kimberleys, Tas etc) of up to about 2 months. Then 1 or 2 smaller trips a year the rest of the year take the grand kids to school, car, caravan & house maintenance etc.
As big Mal reportedly said "Life was not meant to be easy".

Mike.
AnswerID: 530033

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:47

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:47
"Rejoycement" I like that word Michael , but I'm not sure I like its application to a 2 month trip - To me that means a van of some type and while it will probably happen one day I'm holding out to aviod towing anything at all costs - but as you and Mal said "life wasn't mean to be spent towing".

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 812886

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 17:59

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 17:59
G'day Robin, Where were your Max Trax?
We are on long service leave until mid year when we become official old farts.
So far we have been to the Lower Glenelg River in Feb, Beyond Hotham in March, School Hol's will see us up to Maralinga and then later we head off to Central Qld for a few months to escape the winter cold.
Would like to get the EO gathering this year but have to see where we are around then.
Next year a trip over the ditch is in the planning stages.
And the planning continues.
AnswerID: 530039

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:54

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:54
"Where were your Max Trax? " , Gee I can't remember Des - must be time to fully retire.

I'm sure I had them somewhere , but I think thats the one and only aid I have never used in anger.

It sounds like you have got your thoughts in gear and planning ahead and I certainly find that planning is a great part of the adventure, and I at least, am still uncomfortable with just going anywhere without an objective.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 812887

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 21:16

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 21:16
Robin, When I left work, I made a very conscious decision to lave that part of my time behind me and only occasionally catch up with the guys on a social basis.
Too many people don't plan their life after work and all too many lose their health far too early.
Getting fitter and keeping fit is an important part of our lives now so we hope to keep on enjoying things for many years to come.
The objectives don't need to be too hard. Just getting out there and being a rubber neck is just as important.
FollowupID: 812912

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 07:03

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 07:03
Exactly my sentiments too Des, it doesn't take much to get a little fitter after retirement if you set a bit of time aside for it early in your new life. Too many just stop everything and the next thing their health is gone.

Cheers
Graham
FollowupID: 812944

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 18:50

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 18:50
Robin, did I ever tell you about the time I was a submarine captain..............
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530047

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:58

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:58
No John, but when you come to the coffee club I'll swap your stories for a few tit bits about the Collins class project !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 812889

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 20:11

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 20:11
tad of an exaggeration........... but was a submariner, look forward to the chat.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530059

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 20:46

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 20:46
How has retirement affected our travelling/explorozing?

Enhanced is a word that comes to mind. We are using a caravan somewhere in our longish trips, although towing is not the most enjoyable aspect of our "sojourns".

First trip was of about 3 weeks duration.
Second around 3 1/2 months.
Third only a week but without van.
Fourth 1 month.
The next due soon, length of trip ?????????? We will come home when we get sick of it.
Or grandma misses the grandies too much...lol.

So much exploring....so little time.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 530071

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 15:32

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 15:32
Good to see that it has increased Pop , somehow in seems to me that when released from work we don't all of a sudden have 40 hrs each week to get out, some of the time just seems to dissappear.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 812980

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 20:33

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 20:33
Since pulling the pin iat christmas 2007 we have continued to do a major trip each year and as many weekends as possible,
good thing was the major trips became longer
back to cape york in 2008 8 weeks this time not 3 1/2 like before even though we had to come home early for grandkid no 1 's birth.
2009 Hay river without shmbo who will only take LSL every second year
2010 new year trip to NZ then 10 weeks to go to EO gathering at Wiluna via anne beadell then home via CSR ,Kimberly,darwin , alice .then a mad rush back from coober pedy as grandkid no 2 had arrived.
2011 madigan line - short trip without mother again , I did get to lead a 2 week flinders /simpson trip that ended up taking just over 5 weeks when we did cameron corner and a darling run to menindee before coming home.
2012- great LSL for mother again this year so the 100 days WA national park trip starting in Alice springs and somehow ending up including another simpson crossing , a trip to bryron bay just because we had been to steep point.
2013 pretty quite another grandkid( different daughter) early in the year so grandma has used up holidays and I get to do 3 simpson trips in 10 week s and then snuck in a high country trip first week of december
2014-back to north island NZ in newyear ,this weekend - yes another grandkid so i missed an annual gathering only 60 km from homefor another forum, and BTW mother will retire this year so no holidays this winter and anyway yet another grandkid due in september in Melbourne so I might even get to a coffee club gathering
cheers
Howard.
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530129

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 09:25

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 09:25
Well Howard you have the best byline "Resigned to Retirement" so keep up the good work , good to see "mother " will be freer as well soon. That seems to be an issue that I and some others have as well.
Still it doesn't stop us from playing at the farms , its raining down here , so I'm about to be off - wil chuck in a second set of chains though as I will be on my own.

Hope you can make it to a coffee club session.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813019

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 03:00

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 03:00
G'day Robin,

Good photo and story, keep up the good work (and you thought you were retired hahaha).

I have had nearly four years of retirement now but the bride soldiers on in the workforce so I am a kept man. This has not freed up additional travel time for her and consequently me but we have done one amazing trip along the gulf for three and half months.

I did take the Patrol on the beach for the first time with the lazy axle (ever wondered why axle is lazy?) and am pleased to report no problems. I kept my tyre pressure a little higher than normal and did not have to initiate additional measures. This was a deliberate attempt to test the rig while I had friends nearby.

Hopefully another year and she will leave work then we both will be retired. Two trips are in the pipeline, one to Tassie and one to the Kimberley. I have done my Tassie homework planning to take the van so visits to Port Melbourne and Devonport have been undertaken to see the loading and unloading.

Maybe catch you at the coffee club one day.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 530141

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 09:37

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 09:37
Thanks Beatit , a bit like you I often do things like not optimum tyre pressures or wrong gears as experiments which helps you no your limits.
Just an hour ago I made the car slide on wet bitumen and noted how the 1/2 worn tyres didn't have the grip I expected and ABS didn't help - so getting forwarned as our first real wet period in months is taking hold in victoria.

Like Howard above and you the other half doesn't yet have as much free time which I suspect will be both good and bad , we also have a dog which is getting old and needs maintenance , so I suspect it will be another year before we are free to roam more for longer.

I don't know how it is to be lazy like axle is yet , every trip I do still seems to have a time table to it .

I gather though that after 4 years deadlines mean less for you , so hoping one day you will be able to stretch yours to make the coffee club.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813020

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 19:57

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 19:57
Yes, the coffee club is on the bucket list (sounds a little sad as one would think the list should be limited to just grandiose items) as I look forward to catching up one day!

A bit of a slow response on my part so my apologies.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 814152

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:31

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:31
Hi Robin,
Provided all goes well I'll retire in July 2015 after 37 years with the NSW Govt. Our Patrol and Trak Shak have not been used in anger for nearly 12 months and that was just a weeks volunteer work with Blazeaid rebuilding fences after the big fire at Coonabarabran. We blew the travel budget on a trip to the UK prior to that so we have been saving $$ and continuing the reno's on our home.
I'm still trying to convince SWMBO (Kate) that we can take a couple of weeks late Sept early Oct this year and do the EO gathering at Trilby that Sir Kev has organised and then a short drive along the Dowling track. Kate is not retiring when I do so I will have plenty of time to finally finish the internal and external painting and finish a few minor projects.
When Kate does retire we'd like to sell the T/S and get something a bit more older folk friendly that does not care if it gets wet - no not a caravan- more likely one of the hybrids. With that and someone to house sit for us we've never been to WA so that's the plan.
There is just so much to see and so many people we have not met we will never see it all.
Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 530244

Sponsored Links