MDC Camper Trailer Warranty.

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 12:08
ThreadID: 107130 Views:4611 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I am writing to warn people about the warranty back up on these Trailers.

I have read the Warranty and the list of exclusions , Rust , tyres , lights etc , but I have a Broken Stabilizer Leg .

I'm told by MDC in Brisbane THIS IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE WARRANTY.

This is a structural part of the Trailer. Without this leg you cannot use the trailer.

This amounts to the same thing if the gear box fell out of your new car it would not be covered ?.

In previous threads I notice MDC are all over them with , we want to help, we want customer satisfaction etc.

Well , send me my Stabilizer Leg , or take up Comedy because you have to be joking.

A structural part of the Trailer is not Cover by Warranty , come on !!!!

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Krooznalong - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 12:55

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 12:55
I think a broken stabilizer leg and a gearbox falling out are not quite on the same scale of seriousness.

You can use a trailer without using stabilizer legs - I do it often. You can't use a vehicle without a gearbox.

Don't know whether a stabilizer leg would be structural part.

Go to the Office of Fair Trading - or threaten MDC with that.

AnswerID: 530005

Reply By: John and Regina M - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 12:55

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 12:55
So tell us why they have refused yr warranty claim? Have you contributed to its failure?
AnswerID: 530006

Follow Up By: Geoffr17 - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 14:15

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 14:15
Hi.I just went to put the leg up after camping and the spring loaded handle simply came all the way out . Both pins had simply broken.

No reason was given by MDC , I got a one line reply ' not covered under warranty , but can supply you with one for $ 60.00"

The point is if it is not covered then what is ?. The leg is NOT included in the list of items not covered , as most of the components are not , so you could conclude that the Hitch , Handbrake , Kitchen , Frame, Electrics , etc may also not be covered as they are not on list either.

To view the warranty if interested go to MDC Warranty on the internet.
Thank you for your replies.
FollowupID: 812842

Follow Up By: Member - KeithB - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 16:01

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 16:01
Under Australian consumer law goods have to be of merchantable quality and reasonably fit for the intended purpose. This is in addition to any warranties made by the manufacturer and you cannot contract out of it.
If the jack has failed during the warranty period during the normal course of reasonable use, I think you have a case for a new one to be supplied and installed by MDC.
Maybe write to the managing director and remind him of his obligations under Australian consumer law.
Keith
FollowupID: 812853

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 12:48

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 12:48
Warranties are separate from your automatic consumer guarantees. The consumer guarantees which apply regardless of any warranties suppliers sell or give to you, apply for a reasonable time depending on the nature of the goods or services. This means consumer guarantees may continue to apply after the time period for the warranty has expired.

If I were you, I would write to MDC asking why they feel it is not covered. I would also ask they that show you where it states that in their terms and conditions of warranty.

If they are unable to provide you with anything ask them to honor the warranty. If they refuse, contact the ACCC.

All suppliers, manufacturers and service providers that provide you with a warranty against defects must comply with that warranty. If they do not, you may bring an action against the person or business who provided the warranty, either under the ACL or for breach of contract.

More info here http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/warranties

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted without the need to take further action.
FollowupID: 812973

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 14:49

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 14:49
Lodge a claim with QCAT or at least tell MDC you will if you don't get satisfaction.

I'd say the only grounds they have would be misuse on your part.

Bottom line likely is that they won't help you til they realise that will be the shortest course.
AnswerID: 530164

Follow Up By: Geoffr17 - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 16:18

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 16:18
Thank you for your replies.
I wrote to them yesterday and asked for the legal reason why they have rejected the claim under their warranty or the consumer guarranty .

Including my previous e-mail saying I will get some advice , I hope they finally conclude that it's time to give me the part to avoid legal proceedings.

Just for the record I can assure you it was not abused or mistreated .

I hope it gets resolved . Part of me thinks that I might not get a reply even , they have a reputation even in this forum.

But I will continue with it.
FollowupID: 813051

Follow Up By: Geoffr17 - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 18:45

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 18:45
Sorry for the delay here.

After 3 weeks of e-mails back and forth MDC finally decided to send me a new leg . Somebody called MDC Insider firstly on another camping forum contacted me and said he would fix it.

I was also contacted by another MDC person who wanted all the details of the Trailer model , size of leg etc .

E-mailed back the Model , year , size of leg and that it is the front Stabilizer and received a message on the 17 th of April it was with the courier. Arrived yesterday after 3 weeks wait.

All is well one may think , I opened the package , it's the wrong leg .

On the Crusader the front leg is shorter than the back , I've been sent a back leg.

I have just written back to them pointing out its the wrong leg.

So at this stage it's still not resolved due to this mistake .

Hope I get a reply forthwith as it's been 6 weeks ( 3 weeks for the Courier ? ) and have the correct one sent.
FollowupID: 815171

Follow Up By: Market Dorect C - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 18:43

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 18:43
Hi Geoffr17,

I have contacted you prior in regards to the stabilizer leg.
I have been informed another leg is being organised.

With more than 20,000 MDC Camper trailers out in the Australian market we treat any warranty issues with the upmost importance.

I apologise for the delay.

You may pickup a stabilizer leg at any one of our warehouses in Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Sydney if you are in urgent need.

Thankyou for the opportunity to make this right for you.

Happy Camping ;)
MDC Insider
FollowupID: 815255

Sponsored Links