Electronic Anti Corrosion keep it or binit?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:13
ThreadID: 107140 Views:2236 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
My ute has the electric rust thing, my brother swears by em but i dunno
Do they work and how much drain are they on my batts ?
How do you know if they work any way? it constantly makes a clickin sound which could mean anything
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 20:01

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 20:01
Snake oil. But they don't use much power, so why bother ripping it out.
AnswerID: 530056

Follow Up By: RUMPLE AND FETISH - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 20:18

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 20:18
coz its right where i wanna put a solar regulator .There aint much room under the bonnet if its crap then its taking up sol / reg spot'
also i hate shjt that are snake oil.
FollowupID: 812891

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 21:08

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 21:08
Had one on my truck for 3 years now and no rust on the chassis where stone chips are and been in salt water and not washed off. So to answer your question, Yes they do work. Have small scratch in door and same thing no sign of rust. Has never worried the battery and my car has sat for over 3 months without starting and battery is fine.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530074

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 21:25

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 21:25
Ditto. 4 years and no rust or battery problems.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 812917

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 23:54

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 23:54
I've had my 4wd for 4 yrs...with no gizmo on it......and bugger me.....no rust either !!!!!
FollowupID: 812939

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:42

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:42
Yes Gronk, but does your neighbour have one garaged near yours with the gamma radiation from it benefiting your vehicle?
Or maybe your HiClone is even exceeding it's benefits? LOL

I have had an empty baked bean can full of screws on my workshop shelf next to the radio for 4+ years and no sign of rust. The radio is always tuned to Triple J so that must be it, eh?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 812952

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 22:09

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 22:09
Allan

If it's tuned to JJJ - it will be the modern music keeping them screws young.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 813004

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 23:54

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 23:54
If they're that good do they offer a lifetime warranty on all metal parts on the vehicle for the life of the vehicle. I noticed erps also sell an anti corrosion liquid sealer to paint on your car to help prevent and also SEAL IN EXISTING RUST. It would be better to remove all the rust and treat it correctly do you think they would pay out a claim for rust that was covered by a sealer what a joke. I use to fit them and most people who swore they worked had a new car but they would usually sell the car 2 to 5 yrs later which proves nothing. A long term test say 20 to 30 yrs or more would be more convincing instead of customers saying their car is rust free after 5 or 10 yrs which is a joke. I repainted my 20 yr old gq last year which was getting surface rust and it wasn't regularly washed or polished or kept in a garage. Throw it away they're just a gimmick which has so many people suckered into believing they work because they have them on their vehicle for a short time and newer vehicles don't develop visible signs of rust for a long time. Wish I had shares it any one of those companies but then again I wouldn't sleep at night knowing that I am getting wealthy taking money of gullible people.
AnswerID: 530084

Reply By: Iza B - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 05:29

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 05:29
My ten-year old Courier goes on the beach lots and has no rust anywhere. I am not going to fork out for EPS now. Take it off and on sell it to someone else, if your moral values are up to it.

Iza
AnswerID: 530086

Reply By: Malcolm 02 - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:30

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:30
I worked for a mining Company that tried them on their work vehicles and they made no difference, the work vehicles still had to be replaced after two years.

Mal
AnswerID: 530092

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 09:59

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 09:59
Ditto, we tried them underground is SA, no noticable benifit seen at all, did not roll out to the rest of the fleet.
FollowupID: 812958

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 09:22

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 09:22
In the past I have had a little to do with cathodic protection of pipelines using impressed electrical current, basically the same philosophy as claimed by these auto gizmos. For the life of me I can not find the similarity of operational effectiveness between the two applications. The marketed auto systems simply do not have adequate anode effectivity and even if they did, the required electrical current would be an embarrassment to the battery when parked for a few days.
Furthermore, painted surfaces electrically insulate the body steel such that the impressed electrical current is blocked and corrosion can proceed under the paint. Simply removing the paint from beneath the attached anode does not address that problem.

Back in the sixties, the Federal Trade Commission in USA prohibited the sale of the Rust Evader system and required the owners to pay compensation to purchasers. Since then the purveyors of similar systems have been very careful with their marketing claims and expressions of operation.

Not surprisingly, none of the companies providing Cathodic Protection systems to industry manufacture or market any systems or devices for automobiles.

Succinctly ......... "In your dreams". Take it off and put it on the shelf with your old HiClone.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 530095

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 10:44

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 10:44
When I fitted them we stuck them straight onto clean painted surfaces the instructions didn't say it needed to be a clean bare metal surface there was an alcohol wipe supplied for each pad. I often wondered how this magical 20 milliamp current could penetrate the paint send an electrical current substantial enough to the rest of the vehicle to offer any type of protection. And wow I just read they offer a whole 5 yr warranty that'll surely give the purchaser peace of mind. If you own one please take it back before the warranty is up for a full refund if you can get it out of them.
AnswerID: 530101

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 11:48

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 11:48
Probably better off buying a few litres of Lanox and spraying that everywhere including inside the doors. I did the inside of my doors and the run off down the sills was hard to remove using just water so it does stick and penetrates everywhere.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 812971

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 14:44

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 14:44
Definitely a better option than erp I've got a can of lanotec lanolin in the car but I sprayed inside my doors with tectyl and use it whenever I drill a hole in the car. Oh there's a thought if you have an erp's you wouldn't need to treat the bare metal if you drilled holes in you car "bonus" lol.
FollowupID: 812977

Sponsored Links