EO Topo

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 12:26
ThreadID: 107145 Views:1545 Replies:1 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I have loaded EO Topo on my laptop and 7"Samsung tablet, both running Oziexplorer.
I like the clean look of the maps, but have not had the chance to try them apart from around town.
I do find a problem with the name search on the tablet. I don't have any problems on the laptop with a lot of information to choose from and it brings up the location on the map when selected, but on the tablet I cannot find any of the smaller places ie. Halls Gap, Finke, Gawler and other small towns.
I would also like to see more places named. A few I can think of are: Billiluna, Drysdale River, Home Valley etc. Although some of the wells on the Canning Stock Route are numbered, it would be good to see them all named.
I hope to plan a decent outback trip in the near future to try the maps properly.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 14:50

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 14:50
Hi Jan

Recently got it to and having a few surprises but I also haven't really got into yet so also need to know more before I look for solution.

However I have been somewhat staggered by the omissions , which include things like the Madigan line and various camps.

You can not name search for even such things as Big Red or the Geographic centre of the Simpson.

It seems like there are different layers , for example BIG RED is actually show on what must be a track/waypoint overlay but this is not available via loading the name search instead a reference called Big Red Hill which appears embedded into the base map is shown on search but this is not the Big Red sandhill most of us would look for.

Perhaps your post will bring out someone who knows more , while there is a seperate Eo Toppo tap on this site it does not seem orientated to solving issues.

P.S. For anyone else using it under OziExplorer you need to upgrade your OziExplorer to latest V 3.95.95t else it won't recognize the newish OZF4 type map files.

The best value overall mapping guide I have seen is Great Dessert Tracks atlas , a Hema product which is a must have in hardcopy first.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530111

Follow Up By: JanP - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 21:44

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 21:44
Hi Robin.

Yes, I agree.

Comparing it to the Hema maps, a lot of work needs to be done.
You seem to have done a lot more research than I have, but doing a search for Big Red, it does come up on the 1M Australia and the 200K QLD maps.

I did upgrade both laptop and tablet to the latest versions of Ozieplorer.

Hopefully the maps will be updated in due course, as it appears to be a work in progress.

FollowupID: 813001

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 21:50

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 21:50
Hey people,

Sorry but disagree about Hema.

Do we travel to look at tracks, or do we do it to visit places?

Hema's got a lot of tracks, EO Toppo (or Natmaps) has lots of features.

Personally I target the features I want to see, worry about how I am to get there later.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 813003

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 11:41

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 11:41
I'm intrigued Jan

Big Red is not even in the name place list on my E0 Toppo (which is the latest) although it is on the map (all maps).

Mine finds Big Red Bluff which is quite a different place.

Big Red does however come up when using the website directly, so perhaps the is some quick with Eo Toppo working with my windows 7 or some fault in the way I use it - just haven't had time to investigate further - would be helpful if you could verify yours finding Big Red on your laptop though.

Alan, your probably right that Toppo has more features but getting there has to come first for us and this type of product that, as above , doesn't have things as iconic as Madigan line us surprising - I guess I sort of assumed it would have the places and tracks available on the actual ExploreOz website so you could use it while not internet connected out in the bush.

From what I can tell it appears that the website treks by users are not on Toppo but that ones classed as Eo Treks probably are.

E.G. Stephen L'sMadigan line is in user trek on site but hasn't made it into Eo Treks whereas the geosurveys hill one has.

I would be nice if Eo could comment on my query as it should be information available to prospective purchasers.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813029

Follow Up By: JanP - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 14:40

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 14:40
Hi Robin.

When I do a name search on my laptop it comes up with two names.

Big Red – QLD -Point of interest.
Big Red Bluff – QLD - Mountain Peak Hill.

When I click on Big Red on the 200 K QLG map, it comes up with Big Red showing the Qaa line with two tracks marked.
It comes up on both the 2.5M Australia and 1M Australia showing Birdsville and surrounding area at different scales depending on the maps selected.
I am also running Windows 7.

I hope this is of some help.
FollowupID: 813041

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 15:58

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 15:58
Hi Jan

Thanks to your help I have got Big Red and other points of interest to come up. (after you told me it was a poi I pulled apart the toppo file and found it was in the code)

The issue was one of referencing the correct names file which is called Exploroz Places

My computer was still referencing the names file from the earlier version of Ozi

Its easy to get confused - under the earlier Ozi the names directroy was called Name Search , under the new one from Eo Toppo it is called NameSearch and by being not quite the same both existed on the PC , that slight one space difference is enough to side track you but as long as everyone now knows to specifically load ExplorOz Places from the names file menu in Ozi then all will be ok.

Thanks again Jan
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813048

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 16:59

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 16:59
Folks,

The name search data is a direct export of places data and it is updated with each release. So if there is something missing please simply add the place in the places system and it will be in the next release.

As for the road data. We cannot use without full validation any user trek data directly. The ExplorOz Treks are already fully validated so hence they are easy to add to the maps. Whilst we use the user treks data to map updates - this is typically an operation in identification of the road line which is then validated via Satellite imagery. As also stated in the past we have not fully updated the map set, it is a massive task and is in progress. The next release which we are working on now is a major Vic High Country update plus a load of other things but mainly this area (coupled with a number of new maps at 100K and 50K which will be separate products). If you want something specific included please simply email us the details to updates@eotopo.com and it will be queued into the update schedule.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813055

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 17:24

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 17:24
David,

I cannot get name search to work with Ozi for Android and EOtopo. I found the way to change the name search path, but cannot find the relevant path and file for EOtopo.

Can you help?

Cheers

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813057

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:02

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:02
Frank,

Did you copy the files from the supplied media or are you using the supplied media - the two files needed are in the NameSearch folder on the master media - all you need to do is point the Ozi name search function at the ExplorOz Places.names files and it should work.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813061

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:30

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:30
David,

I was using copied files, not the supplied media.

Have just copied the two files to the "Name Search" (with the space) folder in Ozi and it works a treat.

Thanks

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813062

Follow Up By: JanP - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 19:31

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 19:31
Hi Frank.

It appears David has answered your question
I opened the files on EO Topo SD card, highlighted copied and pasted the map files and the name files onto the SD card of my tablet.
I do not know if that is the correct way to do it, but it worked for me.

I have both Hema and EO Topo maps on the tablet, so when I open the Load Map file, it comes up with all the Hema maps as well as an OZF file containing all the EO Topo maps.

As I said in my first posting, I do have problems with smaller towns during a name search.
The tablet does not give a choice of the complete list like the laptop. It usually shows the airport.
I did searches of major towns and cities with positive results except for Perth.
Maybe they are trying to keep it a secret!!!

FollowupID: 813067

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 19:47

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 19:47
Thanks JanP,

Now that I have it sorted, every place you mentioned in your opening post comes up in my place name search.

Even Perth comes up :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813068

Follow Up By: JanP - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 19:54

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 19:54
Hi Frank.

Is that on your tablet or on your computer?

Cheers.
Jan.
FollowupID: 813069

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 21:59

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 21:59
On my tablet, mate.

Even the old property in Western Vic where I was brought up as a child comes up :-) And all the surrounding seemingly insignificant little rural places too. Very chuffed about that.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813079

Follow Up By: JanP - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 22:03

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 22:03
Thanks for that.

I will have to check what I am doing wrong.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 813080

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 22:22

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 22:22
Hi Robin,

You are right, the EO treks are on EOtopo however the user treks are not.

Stephen's route to Geosurveys has gone through the "rigorous" process of being added to EOtopo because it has good descriptions, waypoints etc.

The basic user treks have not gone through the process as they do not fit the qualifications for an EO trek. I agree with this principle as "anyone" can submit a user trek for what ever route they like; I would not expect this unconfirmed data to be included on a publicly available mapset.

Perhaps someone who has done the "Madigan Line", and has the details about the history, waypoints and route data may like to submit this to EO? Then I'm sure in time it will then appear in the future updates of EOtopo.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813084

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:34

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:34
Alan,

You are spot on with your summation, we must ensure the quality of the material that goes onto the map set. As stated we would love to have this route published as a trek note and we are also wanting the Hanns Track also. So if anyone has the data we are happy and willing to work on getting these published both as EO Treks and placing them on the EOTopo map set.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813120

Sponsored Links