Norseman to Hyden road

When coming back from SA yesterday decided to take the Norseman to Hyden road ,mostly gravel ,( aprox 220 ks ) fairly wide in most parts , met about 4 personal vehicles , one towing a van , and a couple of double trailers , unless my trip meter is reading wrong it stated a journey of 688 ks , thats Norseman to Australind . can anyone verify that ?? The reason i ask is i once i measured aprox 900 ks on the trip meter , that was from Australind via Lake Grace , Lake King ,Ravensthorpe , GrassPatch , Salmon Gums and finally Norseman .
Thanks in advance !!
Brian
Ps Forgot to mention road surface was pretty good
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 22:30

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 22:30
Hi Brian

Without knowing your exact route, what you are stating sounds reasonable.

Tracking Australind to Norseman via Lake King gives 932 kilometres.

Looking at a fairly direct route between Hyden and Australind I get 361 kilometres. I have written 300 kilometres on my map book for the Norseman-Hyden Road, so that adds up to 661 kilometres.

Is that in line with your routes?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 530272

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 22:41

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 22:41
Thats about right mother Hen , but cant believe i have cut that much off my normal Australind to Norseman way , not sure that i would reccomend towing a van through there but if so at a very slow speed
FollowupID: 813187

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 00:33

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 00:33
We have been through it a few times Brian and it has always been a well maintained road and suitable for towing a normal caravan on. An interesting drive to with well marked points of interest and some nice camping spots, particularly the Breakaways and at Lake Johnston.

Our preferred route is the Norseman-Lake King Road but the middle section of that through the Frank Hann National Park has always been poorly maintained and potholed.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 813191

Reply By: Member - LG__ (WA) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 00:09

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 00:09
Hi Brian
Just checked my numbers from our October trip out of curiosity.
There were a few minor side tracks looking at tourist attractions but nothing that added much to the total distances.

From Bunbury to Hyden via Wagin, Lake Grace, Lake King we traveled 635kms (approx.)

From Hyden to Norseman via The Breakaways we traveled 322kms
Although you have 220kms for this leg of your journey, I assumed it was a typo :)

We then traveled 370km from Norseman to Esperance via a side trip into Peak Charles NP (where we did a few days of 4WD trekking) and Salmon Gums

So to reverse the relevant part ...
Norseman to Bunbury via the Granite & Woodlands track, Lake King, Lake Grace, Wagin, Australind ... 950ish kms

If you travel Norseman to Australind via
W&G track, Hyden, Kulin, Narrogin, Williams, Darkin
Google Maps gives a distance of 686kms, so your trip meter would be correct :D

Did that help at all?

Regards
LG
AnswerID: 530366

Follow Up By: Brian - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 02:17

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 02:17
Could have made a typo LG with that 220 ks , but looks like my 688 is ok . Yes after Hyden travelled through Condinnin , Kulin , Wickepin , Narrogin , Williams , Collie , thanks for your comments
FollowupID: 813280

Sponsored Links