Toyota 100 series IFS Torsion Bar Mounts

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:21
ThreadID: 107182 Views:6942 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
This is the result of the Torsion Bar Bracket breaking. It is a lot more common than Toyota would like you to believe. If you drive this model vehicle fully laden a lot of kilometres on corrugated roads then this is waiting to happen too you. This is not my vehicle, when this has happened to me I did some temp repairs and limped out. I would be interested to know how many others this has happened too.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:29

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:29
Yep when I had my 100 series TD lifted the guy suggested I have these plates bolted in place to protect the area, he said they were prone to cracking and that these plates would solve the problem, I can't remember if they actual stopped the problem or held it together if it cracked, I sold the car 15 months ago and never found out if the problem arose or not.

Phil
AnswerID: 530243

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:35

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:35
Sounds like a good idea. What plates?

Phil
FollowupID: 813154

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:46

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:46
These these are different to the ones I had put on but they look like they do a similar job.

The ones I had put on went around the bottom of the lower control arm.

Phil
FollowupID: 813156

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:52

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:52
These are the ones I got.

Phil
FollowupID: 813158

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:12

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:12
I think your talking about strengthening plates at the engine end of the torsion bar which is a well known mod. I am talking about the bracket that puts the tension in the bar and is at the back end of the torsion bar. Sorry I did not make myself clear enough.
When this breaks you have have no longer any spring so the wheel drops to the bump stop. You can still move it but the drive shaft is at to much of an angle for the uni's to last long.

Here are some photos of part in question. Plenty more photos if you want them.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813161

Follow Up By: Peter T9 - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 14:35

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 14:35
This prompted me to ring ARB today about the plates for the control arms. They are $24.50 for the pair plus 1.5hrs fitting (I realise this thread relates to a different cracking issue).

I own a 2001 model TD which seems to be ok so far however this issue does worry me.

Not sure if things have changed however I thought failures related to a certain period of production with a faulty robot welder?
FollowupID: 813229

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 21:17

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 21:17
If you look at the middle photo above it is quite clear where the break is and notice how thin the metal is at the break. Compare the metal that has broken with the thickness of a torsion bar and you do not have to be Einstein to see that there is very little metal supporting a thick torsion bar and you cannot be surprised that it fails IMHO

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813332

Reply By: blue one - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:46

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:46
That is one reason I am heading down the 79 series track.

AnswerID: 530247

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (WA) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:46

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:46
Both the lower control arms cracking at the torsion bar mount and to a lesser extent, the torsion bar adjuster at the rear failing are know issues with the 100 series IFS. In both cases there are aftermarket solutions available to reinforce the problem areas.

In my vehicle I have had the lower control arms internally welded and additional bracing plates welded on. My torsion bar adjusters have to been strengthen by welding additional plates either side.

The cracking lower control arms are most prevalent in pre 2003 turbo diesels and the adjusters are usually only an issue when extra heavy duty torsion bars have been fitted.
AnswerID: 530255

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 21:52

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 21:52
In 2004 we were on a Madigan line trip and the only IFS 100series broke the RHS A-arm where the torsion bar attaches - managed to limp it out very gently on its bump stops.
Another acquaintance had the same happen on the Canning before that, came out on the back of a truck.
Another friend a few years back broke an aftermarket torsion bar on the Canning - limped 80km to well 33 then spent a week there waiting for a spare to arrive.

Toyota did a simple recall to inspect the lower arms on some models. I think there was insufficient weld on the arms, but many people at the time had the arms strengthened with a kit made by ARB. Most 4wd shops have a "solution" to this problem. But we don't seem to hear much about it now.
AnswerID: 530271

Reply By: Member - John F (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 20:28

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 20:28
Hi Chris we crossed the Simpson last June in my 2004 100 series IFS and had no problems. The ARB bracket was fitted to my cruiser in 2005 when I took it to Russell Guest 4x4 for a suspension upgrade. They suggested I put the ARB brackets as there's was the first 100 series to crack the Torsion Bar. My 100 series has now travelled 270,000 klms and quiet a bit of that is towing a caravan through corrugation. At some stage I plan to upgrade to a 200 series but while the 100 series is mechanically sound I am not going to rush. I am a big believer that if you drive according to conditions you will have no problem.

best regards
John
AnswerID: 530424

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 21:10

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 21:10
John, I think the ARB bracket you are talking about is at the engine end of the torsion bar. The part I am talking about is at the back end of the torsion bar, see the photo's above. It is not the torsion bar itself that breaks it is the adjuster on the end of it. This problem has happen to many people and seems to be getting more prevalent as these vehicles are getting older. I am well and truly retired and never in any rush to get anywhere and have the same belief in driving to the conditions as yourself. The point of this post is to forewarn people with an Toyota 100 series IFS that this is an issue and that depending on what you do that it could be a good idea to strengthen the torsion bar adjuster as per the photo above. When this part finally breaks it is metal fatigue caused by by constant thumping over a long period of time. Two out of the three times that this has happened to me I was on a flat track at a slow speed. If you are never that far from the black top you may not worry about until something happens which maybe never. However if you go very remote I suggest you would be foolish not to consider what you will do should this happen to you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813331

Sponsored Links