Diesel oil

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:43
ThreadID: 10719 Views:1927 Replies:21 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Changed the oil in the Cruiser and don't ask me how but about 5 litres ended up on the concrete driveway. Has anyone any idea how I can pick up the oil and remove the stain. I live in Sydney so hoseing it off is not a option , because of water restrictions. I was away on the weekend (4wding) so my wife tried coke and tooth brush, working but she has not cleaned much. Any ideas.

WayneAlways Out'N About
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:46

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:46
Degreaser and hose.. Stuff the restrictions, will only take you 5 mins..

But its probably stained the concrete by now...
AnswerID: 47648

Follow Up By: Jack666 - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:07

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:07
Truckster....."Degreaser and hose.. Stuff the restrictions, will only take you 5 mins.. " i am shocked ..do you not need to check the legality in your state first ?;)
FollowupID: 309674

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:00

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:00
Wayne,
I know it looks bad but my main concern would be that whatever you use to remove it is going to end up in your lovely Harbour. So degreaser and hose would be down the list.Bob
AnswerID: 47657

Follow Up By: Dodge - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 23:18

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 23:18
Bob, Im with you if everybody had the same thought and said stuff it the harbour would be full of degreaser. Fortunately there is a substance that can help Wayne. Its called Eneretch....Product has been around for couple of years.Same stuff they use in commercial oil spills.In my town I buy it from our local Shell distributor-Not a Shell product but just marketed through them.Also try if you have a Spill response company.Works a treat on fresh oil spills,its a powder -after mopping up majority of oil, cover residue with powder and brush back and forth until oil is all soaked up.Microorganisms hold the oil in suspension then you can pick it up,bag it and bin it. Not sure on old spills may have to use degreaser to lift stain and then use Enretech.

Hope its not to late for this info,think Enretech has a web site ???
FollowupID: 311156

Reply By: Ian B - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:15

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:15
Hiya Wayne,

Glad you made it home safely this arvo.

For mopping up oil, give kitty litter or dolomite a go.
As far as the stain, what you need are is a week or two of decently hot days. When I was in Alice, it only took a week or so for the stain to evaporate along with the oil remnants.

If the aesthetics are really important, then Karcher make some detergents suitable for removing oil along with their high pressure washers (which use very little water..).

Ian B
AnswerID: 47664

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:31

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:31
Thanks Ian, I heard you talking to Vic this afternoon. Belinda did buy some kitty litter and tried it on a small area with some coke ( I think it was Diet Coke ) . I will have a look in the morning and might try straight coke.

WayneAlways Out'N About
FollowupID: 309648

Reply By: desray - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:15

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:15
you could try kitty litter , used in most garages
AnswerID: 47665

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:21

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:21
Have heard of a product called "liquid magnet" that is designed to remove oil stains, never tried it so i dont know if it works.

BTW- i agree with Truckster, its just a once off so go for it.

Bob, yes if we all did this on a daily basis there would be reason for concern but im sure in this case its not worth worrying about.
AnswerID: 47666

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 17:14

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 17:14
Liquid Magnet will half do the job and is a good start.Live the life you love -
Love the life you live !!!
FollowupID: 309706

Reply By: Bundyman - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:34

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:34
Wayne,

Kitty litter or dolomite will get rid of the the bulk of the oil. To get rid of the oil stain sprinkle cement powder over the stain and leave for a few days sweeping it up and adding fresh stuff until the cement powder stays dry. The just place cement powder in the bin - no water needed.

Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 47669

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:54

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:54
Good idea. I will get Belinda to pick up a bag of cement tomorrow on her way home from work, I am sure she can manage it on the train. Just joking.

Wayne

Always Out'N About
FollowupID: 309650

Reply By: John - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:37

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:37
Kev's reply "Liquid Magnet" is correct from Bunning's work quite well.
The longer you leave it the harder to get out
AnswerID: 47670

Reply By: Member - Donald_L - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:57

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:57
May I help,
Avoid at all costs washing into the drain, the EPA will hang you & you won't impress anyone..
Use some kitty litter to contain the oil if necessary, wipe excess oil with paper towel & put in bin, and sprinkle dry dishwashing machine powder onto the oil stain. (caustic soda & a very strong alkaline) make sure you use gloves & eye protection.
Use a small amount of Hot water & a good stiff hand held scrubbing brush to massage the powder into the affected area. If it is new oil you will have reasonable success. If it is old oil the carbon in the oil will penetrate the pores of the concrete and a slight stain will always be there. This is regardless of any degreaser etc.
Mop up residue with an old towel, rinse with water & wipe dry.
Note: The scrubbed area will appear cleaner than the rest if it is new oil.
Keep the oil & chemicals out of our rivers please.
Good Luck
DonaldGet out there and use it.
Life is too short not to.
All the best...
Donald
AnswerID: 47671

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 14:54

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 14:54
This comment from Donald_L is typical of the good advice we can get on this forum whilst that said by others who say stuff the authorities and that of other peoples opinions and feelings is typical of their own selfishness and short sightedness. How unfortunate to have to live next to someone with such narrow minded ideals, just self, self, self.

Basically, soap is made from fat or oil mixed with caustic soda. Caustic soda has to be handled with care and is cheap to buy at the supermarket. When sprinkled on the oil and mixed with a little water to make a slurry it will turn to soap. Do not use a synthetic bristle brush or the bristles will curl up with the heat that is generated. If it splashes on your skin it's a bit burney so be careful. Using an acid, as in coke, is not the correct chemical. When you first get a spill old newspapers laid on the oil will absorb the bulk of it also.

Wasing powder is a diluted form of caustic. After manual clean up any residue left will only be in the form of soap and could be brushed on to the lawn when it rains. Use either, this or Donalds method, depending on circumstances and competence. Caustic is also usefull for cleaning up accumulated oil and grease on the old garage floor.

Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 309694

Follow Up By: jeff-wa - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 15:51

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 15:51
Donald, just wondering if "Draino" is just caustic soda with a pretty label, I ask this because I have a tub of it at home in a granulated form and would have never thought of cleaning up oil stains with it but would be keen to try. I could use very little water and contain the contaminates and dispose of them properly. I must admit I have from time to time washed oil off with dish washing detergent and boiling water, always felt quilty about it too!
FollowupID: 309695

Reply By: ogray - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:15

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:15
For those who answered wash it down the drain it is only a one off etc, I say to you that you have no consideration for anyone but yourself. You are selfish, you are a blight on the environment. You are most likely the first person to complain about rubbish thrown out of cars, on the streets and in the waterways etc. But anything you do is only small and won't make a difference.

And I think you stink.
AnswerID: 47685

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:52

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:52
ogray,

Yes I do complain when I see rubbish thrown from a car.
No I will not be washing it down the drain.

There have been a lot of good ideas put up on the forum and I will be using a pick up and despose of methiod. The cement and kitty litter seems the way to go.

Wayne Always Out'N About
FollowupID: 309671

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 18:59

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 18:59
Ogray.
Talking about complaining, it sounds like you would be the type that does a fair bit of this.
FollowupID: 309716

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:16

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:16
kev hit it on the head.

LMAO CARE FACTOR 0

You OGray, you have NEVER dropped rubbish ONCE in your life? You have never dropped something that has gone down the drain?? You have NEVER spilt fuel of any form filling a mower, car, bike, container etc in your life??

LMAO Hypocrite...
FollowupID: 309735

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:49

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:49
Giday Wayne,
I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said about removing stain.
As a precaution I use an old piece of carpet underneath, just in case. It will soak up an amazing amount of oil, if it spills. Let it dry then put it back in the shed or wherever.

Good luck with the stain.
Joe

AnswerID: 47693

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:58

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:58
Joe ,

Good idea, unfortunately the oil spill accured after the oil had been changed and I was packing up. Bit hard to cover the whole drive way with carpet.

WayneAlways Out'N About
FollowupID: 309673

Reply By: Jack666 - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:04

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:04
Truckster....."Degreaser and hose.. Stuff the restrictions, will only take you 5 mins.. " i am shocked ..do you not need to check the legality in your state first ?;)

AnswerID: 47694

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:12

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:12
Wayne,
Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago when I lived in Yass (NSW). I cleaned it up with degreaser pressure packs (about 3 I think) and the Karcher high pressure sprayer. The house where I lived had no kerb and guttering, just gravel, so the environmental aspect was not such a big issue (now I'll duck while any greenies chuck a load of muck at me). I got to it quite quick (within an hour.....as I had to go and buy the degreaser etc). As usual, I had my old blue plastic ground sheet down too, but the oil spilled over the edge of it.
Now, when I change my oil, I put down the ground sheet plus lots of old rags (my old PJ's and a dooner cover etc) so that any spills will be soaked up before they get a chance to get to the ground/concrete etc).
Good luck....
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 47696

Reply By: crfan - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:17

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:17
Once you have it as clean as you can get it with the kitty litter and cement powder
the remaining stain will come off if you use a carby clean pressure pack.
AnswerID: 47697

Reply By: Goran - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 16:15

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 16:15
How many litres (maybe tones) of oil get into your harbour straight of the various vesels every day? Do you see anyone doing anything about it?
It is nice to see so many people worrying about our enviroment, but you are kidding yourself if you think that couple of litres of oil will make a differenece.
Instead of condemning Truckster write to politicians and make sure your voice gets heard. Aim big.
AnswerID: 47732

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 17:40

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 17:40
Couple litres of oil x 2million people is a lot of oil & I don't want it in our water ways or any where else!!!!!!!Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 309708

Follow Up By: Goran - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 18:09

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 18:09
No arguments here. It just that human kind never stops to amaze me.
Poor Truckster did not mean any harm but everyone juped on him pretty quick. Where are all this oppinions while we spreading depleted uranium on other countries. Everytime you start the motor vehicle you polute enviroment.You probably burn 2 litres of oil in 6 months driving anyway. What are you going to do Bob......walk?
FollowupID: 309711

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:19

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:19
Thanks Goran, but dont worry about it, most didnt have the brains to read it as it was only a STAIN, and cant wait to jump on a bloke to make em selves feel big! They didnt read that its not a 44gal drum of 30 year old sump oil mixed with Acid... Probably about 200mls of oil thats soaked in....

As I said earlier, care factor = 0!
FollowupID: 309736

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 18:07

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 18:07
Hi Wayne
I think people have lost sight of the fact you are talking about the stain only, you have obviously picked up the excess oil & its now in the bin ( on rags, kitty litter etc waiting to go in land fill and enter the underground water system anyway) most of the solutions above will all have the same effect, so I would not be concerned about using a little degreaser on the stain.

Be very carefull of using or playing with "Caustic soda" as it will burn your skin or worse your eyes.

What happens to all the oil of old cars that drips on the roads ?????

CheersPrado TD Auto
AnswerID: 47745

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 18:47

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 18:47
Geez, we all get uptight over trivial things now dont we.

In this instance the oil is mostly gone via the garbage disposal so it will probebly leach in to the water way from the landfill anyway. (hopefully not)

No one said anything about flushing oil down the drain, just a little degreaser to finish the job.

What happends when people degrease there engine bays at home ?
I think this would be worse.

Its probebly the first & maybe last time this guy has spilt oil on his driveway so it is realy been blown out of proportion.

Sounds like some people need to RELAX a little !!!

Kev.
AnswerID: 47749

Reply By: goingplatinumcomau - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 19:00

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 19:00
After they put the new Cement Highway in between Brisbane and the Gold Coast...........couple of years later there is a Distint black oil markes on the 4 lanes ..... All coming from sumps /gearboxes and diffs ........

Like the reclycle crap they go with ............................The Packageing industry in Australia is Worth $8 BILLION a year

That is why the deposite on plastic soft drink bottles and other containers Will Not get Past South Australia................. big business doe's not want it.

And while we are on the Issue ................... Plastic bags .......... once they charged for the in Ireland .........People spent Less Money in the Supermarket.

So the Vacume in Australia ecomeny Woolies and Coles .............will continue to suck out 1/2 a billion a week each

Yes thats correct roughly $25 billion a year each of course we could go into why they don't pay there accounts for 90 to 120 days ............and the money being in Fractional Reserve Trading (may be some other time)

It still doe's not stop the 18 year old upstarts at the Checkout overpacking my shopping bags .............. I suspect they think there saveing flipper ........ being a responsible person i object to this and use to get upset about it .

Any way while the Goverment uses the Formular

90 %

7%

3 %

Thats 90% brain dead or brain washed 7 % know whats going on and 3% have the Serious money.

Whats going to change ??

And that anwsers the question.
AnswerID: 47754

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 19:24

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 19:24
Thank you to everone.

This is a very sensitive subject and so it should be.

The oil has been soaked up and working on the stain. The bottom line, I will have to be more care full next time.

If any good has come out of this, in the future, if some one else has a similar experience to mine they will know what to do.Always Out'N About
AnswerID: 47756

Reply By: Member - Donald_L - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 22:13

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 22:13
Wayne,
Further to my first comment about the oil stain.
I have not commented on the forum for some time for a few months and I saw the oil stain problem & I felt I had something to offer.
I hope it will help as as I have noted again that the forum is becoming slanging match web site with un-necessary negative goobly gook between certain individuals who are loosing any credibility they ever had very fast.
And I hope the forum moderators are aware of this as it spoils any genuine benefits to those in need of shared wisdom.
cheers
DonaldGet out there and use it.
Life is too short not to.
All the best...
Donald
AnswerID: 47797

Follow Up By: paul2.8d - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:41

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:41
here here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paul2.8d
FollowupID: 309793

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 01:27

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 01:27
A SMALL AMOUNT OF PAINT THINNER ON THE OIL AND WIPE IT UP UP WITH A RAG I RUN A HYDRAULIC WORK SHOP AND IT WORKS FOR AS
REGARDS
RICHARD
AnswerID: 47818

Reply By: ogray - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 14:44

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 14:44
Boy oh boy that was fun.... I haven't had this much luck fishing for quite some time.
AnswerID: 47881

Sponsored Links