Road Closures between Yulara and West MacDonnell Ranges.

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 00:23
ThreadID: 107193 Views:1876 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I notice that many of the roads between Yulara and the West MacDonnell Ranges are currently closed due to flooding (Mereenie Loop, Luritja Rd, Larapinta Drive etc). We were planning a trip there during the school Holidays and I am wondering if anyone could make an educated guess about how long the roads are likely to remain closed. Are we talking a day or two, or are we talking weeks?
Our plan is to drive to Yulara from the South Australian Border via Mulga Park road on Monday the 14th of April. Drive from Yulara to Kings Canyon on Thursday the 17th. Drive from Kings Canyon to Palm Valley via the Mereenie Loop on Sunday the 20th. Drive from Palm Valley to Redbank Gorge, Glen Helen or Ormiston Gorge via Gosse Bluff on Tuesday the 22nd and then head back toAdelaide departing Anzac Day.
We will be flexible and stick to the bitumen if we need to, but I would really like to complete this trip after having to cancel it in 2010 after rolling the car on Mulga Park Rd.
Any local information anyone could provide would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 00:39

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 00:39
Hi Graham

Where is Hairy? He would know. My bet is the water will all be gone within a few days. If there has been any road damage to be revealed when the water clears, that would be the only difficulty. As the road into Palm Valley follows and crosses the river bed a couple of times, that may be a problem.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 530274

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 14:47

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 14:47
The road between Curtain Springs and Mulga Park was a bit damp in 1974....
In fact all the way to Port Augusta :)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 530322

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 15:44

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 15:44
ah yes - remember the days roads were for using and if you said 'road closed" you would have been looked at asif you were mad - how can a road be closed?
FollowupID: 813232

Sponsored Links