Reverse light question

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:48
ThreadID: 10720 Views:2485 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2002 GU Patrol and a Camprite camper to which i fitted a couple of 55watt reverse lights, the problem is i traced the reverse light wire at the rear of the Patrol and tapped into it wiring it up to an anderson plug on the rear bumper, this all worked well and i had power at the plug when i put the Patrol in reverse but when i plugged the camper in it blew the fuse for the auto tranny. The fuse is only 7.5 amps and i was wondering if i put a bigger fuse in would this cause any problems with the auto or have i got a fault with my wiring. The only spot where there could be a fault would be at the reverse lights as they did not tell you which wire was + and which was - i was not game to try this as i only had the one spare fuse and without it the Patrol will not start. hope someone can help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: redcentre - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 00:03

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 00:03
Hi Martin,
if I'm working it out correctly then your 2 trailer reversing lights (total 110 watt ) draw nearly 10 amps.
You would be better off switching that current through a relay.
Relay activated by the cars reversing light(s) and supply directly from the battery and fused at the battery.
Make sure you use cable that is heavy enough to avoid voltage drop.

Cheers,
mike
AnswerID: 47672

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 14:05

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 14:05
Note, do NOT increase the existing fuse size that you blew. It is set at that level to protect the wiring and to prevent a fire, say in the event of a short. Use suitable size wiring to carry the current and install a separate inline fuse of suitable capacity. You can use either a relay switch from the reversing light or manual switch at the dash. Get either a multi meter or make up a test light to check the + & - wiring. Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 309691

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 00:08

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 00:08
You fitted two 55 watt lights to a fuse that was only ment for one 15 -20 watt light of course it will blow. A bigger fuse is not the answer. A relay wired from the reversing switch is one way of fixing the problem. On most vehicles the black wire is earth. Campers and caravans don't normally have reversing lights but you could wire them up like fog lamps and turn them on via a switch when required.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 47673

Reply By: Member - Donald_L - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 00:09

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 00:09
Martin,
We have a Gu Patrol & have succesfully wired up reversing lights & a "Beeper" & trailer Rev lights to the existing curcuit to the L/H rear Factory Rev light & they all work OK with the standard fuse.
Maybe it is in your best interests to have the total orientation of all your wiring checked out by an Auto_Electrician for your new Rev lights and trailer etc.
Your GU will love you more,
cheers
DonaldGet out there and use it.
Life is too short not to.
All the best...
Donald
AnswerID: 47674

Sponsored Links