Buying a 2011 Prado in the great west oz

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 21:22
ThreadID: 107231 Views:1798 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This is a bit of a follow on from a previous post comparing new mid-range 4x4's to a local 2008 prado i saw for sale (old post for those interested)

I've also asked the Prado boffins on Prado point but wanted to throw this one out wider.
Looking at buying a manual Prado's under $40k. 2010-2011 GX is fine by me. Seems that WA is the mecca followed closely by Qld. Presuming it's not a coincidence they are both mining states.

Should i be concerned? Naturally ex-mining fleet / lease vehicles are not going to have had the TLC a private owner would give. However ones i've been looking at do still have full service / log book histories. For the same price ($35-40k) in the west, i can get an equivalent vehicle to eastern seaboard with half the km's. I wonder if this is because they're really are double the number of vehicles on the market, the fact they are flogged out ex-mine cars, or both?!

All / any thoughts / advice appreciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 08:31

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 08:31
Hi lj_eco,

When I bought my 2008 Prado, I couldn't find the name of the original owner as it had been blanked out (strange), so I gave the VIN number to Toyota and they did a search for me.

It had been owned by BP but hadn't done many kms before being sold. No idea why.

Two more owners took it to 60k by 2013. It looked straight and had all services done and stamped.

Took a chance and bought it. So far its a tank with no surprises.

Got to research.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530449

Reply By: Member - ken m4 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 09:01

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 09:01
I think a proportion of these vehicles would be from private individual novated? leases.
The Prado and Pajero was a major choice for Individuals working in the mining communities before Fifo became the norm.
AnswerID: 530451

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 09:02

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 09:02
It never ceases to amaze me how much emphasis people put on Km.

Condition is what matters.

I also find it interesting how people beat on mining industry vehicles....just because its been owned by a mining company..it does not mean it has been beat to hell.

Condition is what matters.

There are plenty of private owners who don't know how to look after a vehicle.

Remember there are mine owned vehicles that have hardly ever left the bitumen, roll thru the gate every morning and hardly move from the car park till they are driven home.

Particularly if it is a diesel.....some regular long highway KM is better for the engine than being driven 30Km a day too and from the school and shops.

Condition IS what matters.

You realy have to have a realy good look over the vehicle and see how it drives.

Cheers
AnswerID: 530452

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 16:21

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 16:21
Condition ? Never ceases to amaze me how a good detailer can spruce up a heap of junk……….little tricks like swapping out pedal rubbers for one's not so worn……aftermarket pin striping that hides a myriad of sins…..spray black every where underneath [the real good will then drive a gravel and mud road to "age" the paint a little ,can't have it looking too new]…….. Never been 'off road' [ not on this cheap set of 'new' tires we just put on a week ago] ,,,,,, ahhh , lovely Condition ,, [hope the banana peel stuffed into the diff masks the whine until the warranty expires ……………….
FollowupID: 813386

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 21:16

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 21:16
Bantam.... I agree with you. Mining companies have very strict sets of OH&S laws. There is no way in hell that they would let their vehicles fall into a state of disrepair at anytime during it's service life.

As to the OP's reference to Qld vehicles being cheap. The assumption is that a QLD vehicle is a flood recovery. Rightly or wrongly, it's bloody tough trying to sell a car in QLD at the moment. Price it cheap enough and someone will buy it based on price point. With some inside knowledge and a thorough inspection, there's some good bargins to be had.

The west being so remote to the rest of Australia makes it hard to sell second hand vehicles especially since many cashed up miners are preferring to buy new. Ski boats are also cheap in the west because the Jones' like to have the newest and best one every couple of years.

Fab.
FollowupID: 813421

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 23:00

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 23:00
Detailers can do a wonderfull job....but its not hard to see past what they do.

ya just have to look past a good pollish job and the new car scent.

A detailer can do nothing about pannel fit, slop in bushes, firmness of the driver seat, wear on the steering wheel dints in the sump guard and lots of other tel tales....oh and don't forget the old favorate...condition of the glovebox hinges and catch.

If it is a vehicle under 80 000, most of the old used car tricks just are not required.

Hell banana peel in the dif......serioulsy has anybody found a banana peel in a diff or rolled up newspaper in the sills...since the 70's

If they are rough enough to put banana peels in a diff...they will spin the oddo too.

Seriously a car with under 50 000.....no dealer in their right mind will try and piss in your pocket over that.....they will get top dollar all day with little more than a detail.

condition is what counts and always has.

cheers
FollowupID: 813429

Sponsored Links