ThreadID: 107260 Views:1563 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Is Kingfisher Camp operating in 2014?
Considering going there in June.

Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rooster350 - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 14:37

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 14:37
It is a long way to go for not much to see, very basic camping, no power , lots of shade (a nightmare for solar panels) , good hot water supply (donkey fired) clean toilets , very grassy area , fishing not very good...but..we were there for a 5 days last year and despite the negatives we enjoyed it ($20 night)....and 5 days is toooo long 2-3 days would be better but we had to fill in time...cheers
AnswerID: 530534

Reply By: caseh - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 17:25

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 17:25
I don't know if operating in 2014 or not.

We stayed there for three days last year and I had a ball! I am a twitcher (birder) and never seen that many pardalots in all my birding life.
From Kingfisher you can take the dirt road to Lawn Hill or carry on via the station to the Savannah Way.
The journey is as good as the destination. Take your time and enjoy.

cheers, Case
AnswerID: 530546

Reply By: ctaplin - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 22:19

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 22:19
Hi Alan,

As far as I know they are still open for business in 2014. Perhaps give them a call on: (07) 4745 8212.

Kingfisher Camp is an outstation on Bowthorn Station and the previous owners, the McGinnis family started Kingfisher Camp as a side line to their prime business of cattle. Kerry McGinnis, the author of several books about the area was passionate about encouraging tourists to the area and originally she and her sister put on a daily morning tea session at the main Bowthorn homestead which visitors pass onroute between Adels Grove and Kingfisher Camp.

Unfortunately, the current owner doesn't share Kerry's passion for tourism and therefore don't promote the place as they probably should.

Here is their website: http://www.kingfisherresort.com.au/ but don't bother with the email link as it's not current or ever checked.

Hope this info helps?

Regards,
Chris

AnswerID: 530571

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 17:16

Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 17:16
Hi Alan,

We stayed at Kingfisher Camp (KFC) for 5 days or so last July and loved it. We walked quite a bit, went out to the huge swamp (name ?) which was beautiful, with brumbies knee-deep amongst the water lilies, and hired a tinny for half a day to investigate the lovely 5km long billabong. The birds were great too and the hot showers and flushing toilets were most welcome. Heaven.

Enjoy,
Min
AnswerID: 530810

Sponsored Links