Maximum number of gas bottles?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:59
ThreadID: 107266 Views:5517 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We have 2 x 4kg gas bottles that we use for camping (fridge and stove) that are inside holders welded to the side of the trailer behind the wheel arch (by the manufacturer).
Friends of ours (who are fairly new to camping) have asked if we could take their 2 x 9kg gas bottles because they only have a van, they are a bit concerned with transporting them in their van and have asked if we could put them in our trailer.
I have tried searching for any regulations about how many bottles or how much gas you can safely transport but most seem to refer to a passenger vehicle. Does the same apply to a trailer? Would a trailer attached to a car be considered part of the passenger vehicle (like for insurance). If anyone knows of any restrictions in Victoria that would be very helpful.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 13:15

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 13:15
I would say NO!

Try and work out a long term solution instead of a short term fix...... I'm sure there will be a time when they are going to travel by them selves, or are they always going to travel with you or someone else.

Rule 101 of camping and 4 wheel driving - be self sufficient and don't rely on others.

Sure you have to learn sometime but teach them the right way to start with and it will last a life time.

By the way, how many months are going away for....... 18kg of gas will last in excess of 2+ months use if used for cooking 3 meals a day and running a gas fridge.

If you have to ask for some else to carry your gear... you are carrying too much.

Don't ask question like this on a forum as you may get misleading information, ask your insurance company, dept of transport and regulatory bodies in your state.... and get it by an email or in writing.
AnswerID: 530527

Follow Up By: YoungCampingFamily - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 13:26

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 13:26
I get that it is not ideal. The only time they go camping is at Easter with others and they have very limited means, so would be happy to help them out if it is safe to do so. I doubt they could even afford to buy new smaller gas bottles. My question related to regulations not opinion. I have tried searching but have come up with nothing so thought someone else may know of a regulation as to the maximum number of bottles that can be carried.
FollowupID: 813473

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:55

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:55
So you tried speaking to your insurance company, dept of transport and regulatory bodies in your state.... sorry can't help you and is I could it would be incorrect and misleading.
FollowupID: 813479

Reply By: Emerging I.T. - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 13:45

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 13:45
I am not aware of any specific regulation but I don't see an issue if you want to take them for your friends. I would not think the volume of gas in as issue. Most of friends take at least 2 x 9KG bottles so you are only adding 8KG extra. Indoors storage of gas bottles is another issue.
AnswerID: 530528

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 13:59

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 13:59
Dangerous Goods legislation allows one to carry 1,000 kg/Litres of "packaged goods" before the vehicle requires placarding/signage. Don't worry about carrying the extra cylinders, just make sure that they are secure in your trailer.

I'd suggest they carry their own cylinders, but as you are helping them, that's up to you. At a later date, perhaps you might be able to assist them to make up a pair of cylinder mounts, so they can be a little more self sufficient.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 530531

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 14:03

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 14:03
Bob is correct. The main thing is securing the cylinders correctly and open to the air.

Qld lpg transportation link
FollowupID: 813476

Reply By: YoungCampingFamily - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 14:12

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 14:12
Thanks for the replies. I have said no because from what I could find there is a maximum of 2 gas bottles for a passenger vehicle (even though they would all be on the trailer) - just to be on the safe side.
I don't think you can have gas bottles mounted to the outside of a vehicle can you? Their van is like a delivery van - all one internal space - and from what I can gather they aren't technically allowed to carry gas bottles in their van but I also get that they are responsible for their own gear so what they do is not my problem. For the last 4 years (prior to our trailer) we have taken our 2 and 4kg gas bottles in the back of our Territory which again is not ideal but it was that or not take them at all. I think this is the first year they have brought their own gas bottles - the previous couple of years I think they borrowed some other campers stove to heat up their dinner and used others' shower (gas hot water) so at least they are making an effort to be more self sufficient.
Would still be interested to see any restrictions if they do exist but apart from the "placarded loads" of huge volumes it doesn't say much else.
AnswerID: 530532

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 14:27

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 14:27
I imagine Qld and Vic legislation would be similar. In Qld you can't carry them in any location that is not vented to the atmosphere, so in the event of a leak the gas can escape. When you say "inside" your trailer I would expect this would not be the case.

As a matter of interest, a few years ago we carried one in our soft floor CT and managed to crack open the valve so when we pulled up the trailer was full of gas. I still enjoyed a fag in those days so the consequences may well have been somewhat embarrassing to say the least, had I lit up.
AnswerID: 530533

Reply By: Muzman - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:14

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:14
Some background--i worked in the gas industry for 10 years in NSW, main thing is if carrying smaller cylinders in cars/vans/enclosed spaces...try and get some ventilation in there....ive seen 4kg cylinders in the back of a station wagon, vent/bleve and when door is opened--light goes on (source of ignition, and new fresh air) and KABOOM! end of car...

cars/wagons/vans as we all know in direct sunlight and hot days becomes an oven...if you can- get cylinders out of the vehicle and in the shade if parked for long period of time...

dont carry gas cylinders in MILK CRATES as the plastic does give off a static charge.
always test your cylinders valves with soapy water for leaks.

check and double check all fittings and connections (soapy water best)

make sure your gas cylinder is in it TEST DATE.

always check bottom of cylinder for rust/pitting and spiders..

http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/assets/petroleum-pdf/info_cylindertransport.pdf
AnswerID: 530535

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 20:30

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 20:30
When you say your friend's van, do you mean caravan or vehicle?

Also, why would anyone need to take two 9kg cylinders with them?
How long a camping trip are they going on?
2 x 4kg, or 1 x 9kg is plenty and in some cases overkill.
1 x 9kg bottle is still a big bugger.
1 x 4kg is more compact and will last a considerable time.

If they are new to camping they should consider the merits of a compressor fridge, or in the case of a 3 way fridge on board, the installation of a purpose designed gas bottle compartment in the side of the vehicle.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 530559

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 20:32

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 20:32
As a bare minimum, your friends should consider carrying a gas bottle on a roof rack, if no other option is available.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 813500

Reply By: lizard - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:42

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:42
Well , I took three mt 9 kg gas bottles to BCF to refill - they refused to fill the 3rd - saying we were only allowed to have 2 bottles in back of ute ..... drove around block & went back & got third one filled - told them I had dropped the other two off ????
Don't know the relevence of this
AnswerID: 530565

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 09:04

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 09:04
I would say that is a policy stipulation the Super Retail Group has taken upon themselves for safety and insurance.

Most self made policies don't go into detail like a Gov regulatory policy as it confuses their young staff members.

More reading here -

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=transportation+of+lpg+gas+cylinder+in+a+motor+vehicle+in+Australia&oq=transportation+of+lpg+gas+cylinder+in+a+motor+vehicle+in+Australia&aqs=chrome.0.69i59.1761j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8
FollowupID: 813519

Reply By: Pushy - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 09:12

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 09:12
Hi All,
In QLD you can only carry 2 gas cylinders up to a max of 30 kg in "any enclosed vehicle" and that is only between the filling point and directly to and from home. It therefore is open to interpretation as to what "enclosed" means and if a car and trailer is classed as one "vehicle"

I would NEVER carry gas cylinders for any distance "inside" any thing including a car, caravan, camper trailer, even a ute or box trailer with a cover or tarp over it.

LPG is heavier than air and therefore if a leak occurs the gas will flow downwards and fill any nook and cranny in whatever you use to carry the cylinder. It can lurk there for some time just waiting for a stray spark.
AnswerID: 530588

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 13:25

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 13:25
Also it does the same to your lungs...... sinking to the bottom and not allowing oxygen in..... leading to DEATH.
FollowupID: 813539

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 15:11

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 15:11
If you are standing vertically and the air/gas interface is at nose/mouth level there's a huge amount of gas involvced and any spark will cause a big explosion and you'll be dead anyway.

There is a reason that the gas producers include an odouriser in the product.
If you can smell it, move away after opening all possible vents/windows/doors............a long way away if the smell is intense.

No one would be able to get sufficiently high concentrations of gas in their lungs, you would have to move away in order to breath.

Disco.
FollowupID: 813554

Sponsored Links