Eagle Highway - Access

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 17:41
ThreadID: 107275 Views:1705 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Was starting to research a trip up the david carnegie road and then eagle highway and found this.

http://www.centraldesert.org.au/resources/120926_IPA_Plan2_for_Country_Birriliburu.pdf

On page 34 it says "Tourists would be excluded from accessing this area (mainly due to
privacy reasons) and from travelling along the track known as the
Eagle Highway. The exception would be if they are part of a Martu
tour or guided by the native title holders"

Does anyone know if this is the case for 2014 or has this not been finalised as yet?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 17:16

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 17:16
With no answers to your question so far Cruiser, try contacting Department of Aboriginal Affairs or put in an application outlining you proposed route and see what happens. If you do either of these, you may need to follow it up as the Department was not good on communicating when I was applying for transit permits.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 530625

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 20:42

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 20:42
Cruiser,

I'd suggest that is probably the case. You could try and contact Central Desert Native Title Services in Perth. They administer Birriliburu and quite a few other areas but are pretty specific about the non issue of permits. Doesn't hurt to seek advice from them in regards to travel on the Eagle. The particular areas they are trying to protect isMungilli at the southern end and Karringarri Claypan at the northern end of the Eagle.

Central Desert Native Title Services

Central Desert NTS - Permits

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 530650

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 21:16

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 21:16
Agree with you mostly Mick however Mungilli is excluded from the determination.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/cth/FCA/2008/944.html?query=^Birriliburu

Reserve 34604 (Mangkili Claypan Nature Reserve) for the purpose of "Conservation of Flora and Fauna" vested under section 33 of the Land Act 1933 (WA) in the Western Australian Wildlife Authority on 22 April 1977.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 813585

Sponsored Links