Colorado RG Ute 12 volt access

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 17:48
ThreadID: 107314 Views:3180 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Am installing a rear view camera to the caravan and just wondering if it is possible to access the 12 volt power direct from the positive terminal of the battery in the towing vehicle?
Have been warned not to tap into any existing wiring.
Would appreciate any comments from anyone that has attempted any electrical after market accessories.
Many thanks..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 18:05

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 18:05
I'm assuming from your description that the unit has an ECU controlled alternator, if this is the case and assuming the hall effect device is on the negative battery terminal then you would need to connect the camera to the positive battery terminal and the vehicle chassis earth point, ie don't connect to the battery negative terminal.

Is the camera going to plug into and existing stereo unit, if so why not then supply the camera from the radio power?

If not from the radio then I would look for a positive source of power from the rear of the car ie rear screen wiper, interior light etc.

If you need to feed from engine bay then see if there is an unused fuse in the fuse box and use that.

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530699

Follow Up By: Con_Qld - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 18:41

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 18:41
Thanks Leigh,
I have a stand alone monitor so may access the 12 volts direct from the battery as I don't have much experience in trying to tap into any existing wiring.
Cheers....
FollowupID: 813638

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 19:03

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 19:03
Keep in mind if the unit has a soft on off switch, ie not a mechanical switch it will always be drawing power if you connect it directly to the battery terminal, same for the camera.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813642

Reply By: evaredy - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 09:53

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 09:53
Does your camera have it's own monitor? If so then it should be the monitor that supplies the power to the camera.

I have a camera on my camper, that is always on when travelling, the monitor t the power source for the camera.

If you are not all that familiar with electrical work, I would pay an auto sparkie to install it properly for you. It may save you some headaches in the future.
AnswerID: 530736

Sponsored Links