Insurance predicament

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 18:09
ThreadID: 107335 Views:2908 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys. Just rang Allianz my insurance company to sort out a bank induced problem with my direct debit. When I gave details my postcode was incorrect as I now have a postal address while traveling. It came out that because I didn't have a fixed garaged address for the car they didn't want to know me so I am now driving around in a 40 k uninsured car which is scary. Can anyone help me with a company that will insure without a fixed address. Allianz are just another all take but no give company. Give them a miss! Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: yarda - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 18:52

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 18:52
They've done you a favour, seeing as you failed to disclose a change of status that affects your policy. If you had tried to make a claim down the track they would have refused to pay out.
In their risk assessment matrix, changing to a nomad lifestyle exposes your vehicle to much greater significant risk.

An insurance broker may be the easiest way to get a suitable policy.
AnswerID: 530755

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 21:27

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 21:27
I wonder if the nomadic lifestyle in fact reduces the chance of risk.

I say because when we spent a year on the road we camped every night with the vehicle 2 metres away from us in the tent.

At home it's 20 metres away, and separated from us by walls etc.

FollowupID: 813728

Reply By: Axle - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 19:20

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 19:20
G/Day Kirk, You need a fixed address to give to any insurance company!

Sister, Brother, or any Relo?....Whilst travelling around.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 530757

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 21:41

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 21:41
As I have posted before..regardless of what you or I think..or the realities of life.

All the government authorities and all the large business believe you must be either some sort of criminal or vagrant if you can not produce a permanent fixed address.

Regardless of the reality, if you want to have anything like a reasonable relationship with the government or large business, you must contrive, within the law to have a permanent residential address...and return there from time to time.


"I live at #######, but I have been traveling for some time"

AnswerID: 530764

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 10:52

Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 10:52
Better to say

"I live at #######, but I have been away for two weeks and may be away for another two later on.
FollowupID: 813759

Reply By: patsproule - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 21:55

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 21:55
I discovered slightly by accident last week that the risk to insure my Pajero with AAMI at our address is significantly more than to insure it at my next-door neighbour's house. $110 more in the premium. When I argued that one I was told that our address had more claims against it than the neighbours. Hardly fair given we just bought the house and we have never had a motor vehicle claim ourselves.

AnswerID: 530766

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 at 21:37

Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 at 21:37
AAMI has recently been taken over by another company. Also discovered this by accident. It could be coincidence but premiums seem to have shot up as a result - based on 3 cases I know of, might be different for others. A friend was spun some tale about why his imsurance had risen significantly but his agreed value had (naturally) reduced - also significantly. He's dumped them and we are about to for both house and car. Always pays to shop around and read the PDS.
FollowupID: 813878

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 21:58

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 21:58
Try TCIS insurance brokers. They are 4x4 and caravan specialists so may well cater for your situation. I have been very happy with them to date for the Tuck Truck - no claims as yet and hopefully will never have to.

TCIS Insurance Brokers

Good luck and enjoy the travels

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 530767

Reply By: WayneD - Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 06:20

Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 06:20
registration could be an issue too! When I moved out of NSW to Singapore I left my vehicle with my daughter in Darwin,thoughts of heading over to NT and doing some 4WDing. When I wanted to register it they would not allow me to because I was not resident in NT even though the car would be in NT and NRMA in NSW would not insure it because it was NT rego. Had to change the car to my daughters name but could still insure in my name with TIO. Have had a claim since (thanks Son I-L) which was paid no problems. The vehicle is now in Qld but still insured with TIO who are aware of the move. Could be something to do with being in armed forces, not sure as I am still overseas.
AnswerID: 530774

Reply By: Member - Kirk L - Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:15

Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:15
Thanks everyone. Some positive and some not so positive. The law is a pain. I bought a camper in Melbourne once and couldn't register it because I didn't live there???? Anyway will digest all that and make some enquiries after Easter. They caught me out on the phone and I was too slow to make up a story. You got to wonder if it's even worth I surfing these days. I could have bought two cars with what I've payed over the years. Cheers.
AnswerID: 530795

Reply By: Mick T3 - Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 at 13:25

Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 at 13:25
Despite having had just a single hundred-dollar insurance claim in 46 years of driving, I've had the same problem with insurance. For years I have been leaving RAA with temporary addresses, sometimes ones I haven't been to for two years. When I confessed to them last that I was usually living on the road, they said they didn't want to insure me for comprehensive, but would continue with third party property.

I inferred from my conversation with them that I could put down a friend's address, and if it turned out I didn't live there, and had a crash interstate, they would still pay out, or at least most of it.

I'm switching to AAMI and will just give them caravan park/post box addresses in major towns and change this every few months or so.

It's all very messy.

I've had a single hundred-dollar insurance claim in 46 years of driving.

AnswerID: 530856

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 at 16:06

Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 at 16:06
Cheers mick. Messy isn't the word. We are supposed to all be living in the same country. It's about time we had some consistencies in laws and licensing etc. like someone said above isn't your car safer being with you while travelling. I think I do less miles than driving to work every day in peak traffic with what I would say less risk. I stop at towns and some days don't drive anywhere. I'm trying to get away from politics but they keep chasing me. Please no one hit me till Tuesday when I can get it sorted. Lol
FollowupID: 813849

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 15:28

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 15:28
Well TCIS didn't want to know me either. I have had a minor DD offence within the last 5 years. They gave me the name of Just Cars insurance and I went with them as they were happy to take me on. Yes charged high excess due to that but why does it have to be so hard. TCIS could have done that and got the business. I have never had an accident or claim but they don't take that into account!
FollowupID: 814137

Sponsored Links