Odyssey Batteries

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:08
ThreadID: 10738 Views:4404 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

I been searching through the archives on the subject of Odyssey batteries and found most of the comments to be at best lacking in subjective comment. ... I knew a bloke who's uncles's neighbour etc etc.

Is there anyone who has used one of these jobs and can comment on their first hand experiences ... good or bad.

The specs look impressive, but I've never been one to believe all I read.

They come well recommended from from the local 4WD shop, who have generally been very open with me and offered sound advice in the past. To the extent that I place some value on their opinions.

But .... being the eternal pessimist .....

Your thoughts if you please.

CheersFidei defensor

Rosco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sean - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 00:34

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 00:34
Rosco

I have not had one but did a bit or research recently as i was considering one.

the first warning signs went out when I went to the place that used to have them and they not longer stock them. Reason was too many problems includng blown alternators. This puzzled me so I did a bit of research on the net. Best info I got was from www.advrider.com where guys have tried them in their BMW motorbikes, and the info is first hand.

Apparently the problems are well known by the manufacturer.

Alot of it is technical so I wont trry to repeat it - but its all there if you type 'Hawker Odyssey' into the search option.

Hope this is of some help

Sean
AnswerID: 47811

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:11

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:11
Sean

Thanks for the lead, only one prob. Went to the site but could only find more positive than negative postings. Perhaps I was in the wrong section. If you get a chance would you mind emailing me the link.

Thanks cobberFidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 309776

Follow Up By: sean - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 22:45

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 22:45
Rosco

Hope this is of some help

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7003&highlight=hawker

Regards

Sean
FollowupID: 309881

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 23:53

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 23:53
Sean

Thanks mate. Checked out the link and they're certainly "Not Happy Jan".

Have already made a decision to give it a miss .... now struggling to fit in a hugher mother than the original hugh mother. Ton of fun but I reckon it's a 12 pack job .... so what the hell.

CheersFidei defensor

Rosco
FollowupID: 309891

Follow Up By: peecee - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 08:39

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 08:39
Rosco

I have been loking at Odyssey batteries
My battery supplier told me to save money and buy a delcor m31 marine battery, 100 amp reserve $165 .he sells both and has lots of problems with Odyssey .

Regards peecee
FollowupID: 309906

Reply By: Peter - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 07:54

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 07:54
Rosco
I have two of of the largest Odysseys in the rear of my Defender wired in parallel. They operate 2 Engel fridges (40 lt and 32lt) through a Rotronics battery management system. The purchase price was approx. $ 450 each. They worked brilliantly for the first 2 years (the warranty period), but now at three years I cannot charge them above 12.4 volts. In other words they are on the way out. Odyssey claim a life of eight years.

This is a bitter experience and I wouldn't recommend that anyone touch them.

Peter
AnswerID: 47823

Reply By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 17:27

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 17:27
I had one in my Prado when I sold it. It was marvellous. I don't know if it was any better or worse than the Optima.

Cheers
Stephen J
AnswerID: 47902

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 14:51

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 14:51
I can reccomend optima batteries, we have tested them here, at Christie engineering where we make the outback battery chargers, they are quite expensive, but recharge very fast unlike cheaper deep cycles.
The other good type is the Delkor, as was mentioned in an earlier post, we have checked these out and like them better because of the cheaper cost.
We have heard a few comments that the odessy's have an internal shorting out problem (heard this from the Delkor-Alcoa battery distributor.)
AnswerID: 48044

Sponsored Links