Victorian high country conditions

Submitted: Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 12:59
ThreadID: 107385 Views:1371 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Has anyone been in the area in The past couple of weeks? We are meeting friends in Omeo on Anzac Day and spending a couple of weeks touring the tracks out from Omeo, Harrietville and Mansfield. We will be staying in Caravan parks as some in the group have on-road vans, and doing day trips. We have a rough itinerary, taking in Haunted stream track, blue rag, billy goat, crooked river, Craig's hut and Bindaree falls. We're after updated information on track conditions, and also any must-see destinations. Thanks in advance, Lisa

Ps we are properly set up and experienced in4WD , and will be traveling with other experienced and properly equipped drivers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 17:07

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 17:07
I was up there about 4 weeks ago with my 4WD club; it rained on an off for the whole one week trip.

The pinnacles were completely covered in cloud we could not see more than 50 to 100 metres. Billy Goat was OK. Nothing special about Haunted Stream except for a large narrow rock that was impossible to see over the front of a vehicle, a few people collected it on their undercarriage.

With some heavy downpours there was gravel and wood washed across the road, it was OK if you drive to the conditions.

I hope you have better weather than we did. Good luck.
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 530975

Follow Up By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 21:42

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 21:42
Thanks for the feedback Rob, we hope for better weather, but it should be fun regardless. Cheers, Lisa
FollowupID: 814010

Reply By: Wayne NSW - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 18:17

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 18:17
Lisa,

The only track that I could see any problem with is Billy Goat. It can be driven but with the track been over used it will be a challenge.
After the heli pad the track has large rocks and even bigger holes and picking the right line is very important. Traction aids will also help.
All of the other tracks are open and not a problem.
The biggest worry would be the amount of traffic on the tracks and the amount of campers in the area.
I was on Billy Goat last Monday.

Wayne.
AnswerID: 530979

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 20:56

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 20:56
Hi Lisa

We also went up Billy Goat and actually quite easily. No lift, no traction aids or lockers. As Wayne said take it easy and pick your line and you should be fine.

Your not with a Wagga mob with Anne and Michael are you?

Phil
FollowupID: 814002

Follow Up By: spanner1969 - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 21:00

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 21:00
Hi Peter/lisa

We spent the last four days in Corryong/Omeo and Dargo including billy goat track . I will agree with Wayne after being on BG all day yesterday the amount of traffic was like a shopping centre car park. Although saying this our run from Omeo to Dargo, road was fine no issues, was pleasant and very quiet, which was lovely.

We counted about 9 trucks coming down as we were going up and approx 20 at pinnacles lookout, but the track is rough in parts and like Wayne has stated the line is the key. If wet you will be winching as the rocks are spread out over the track in places and deep ruts. Good gear is req but no issue as long as you plan yr trip . Have fun and hope the drive/ weather was as good as we had .
Paul
FollowupID: 814004

Follow Up By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 21:40

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 21:40
Thanks for your comments Phil, we are with Mick and Rammy from Northern NSW, but haven't met others in the group yet so I'm not sure if that includes Anne and Michael from Wagga.

Hi Paul, hopefully it will be a little less busy for our trip, sounds like it will be fun, and hopefully the weather is OK. We're looking forward to some crisp nights by the campfire.

Thanks for your feedback Wayne, we will be taking care and getting local advice as well on which tracks to do. Maybe it will be quieter once the school holidays finish.

FollowupID: 814009

Sponsored Links