Rig Road condition

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 22, 2014 at 20:32
ThreadID: 107412 Views:1311 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We're thinking of doing a Simpson crossing west to east in June, possibly exiting to the Birdsville Track via Warburton crossing. Would appreciate feedback from people who've used the Rig Rd in the last couple of seasons, as to how difficult it now is, particularly the section between Knolls Track and the K1 Line.
I gather the Rig Rd has deteriorated considerably over the years, so would you describe it as generally still easier than the French Line, about the same, more difficult, or what. For info, we crossed the French Line east to west a couple of years ago without problems, so we generally know what to expect (and enjoy).

Thanks
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2014 at 21:02

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2014 at 21:02
Hi John,
We did the same trip in 2008 and really enjoyed it.
The road between the dunes is still in very good order.
The Rig road being not as heavily traveled as the French line is in my opinion a better trip.
When we traveled it there was no previous evidence of other car tracks so we had to pick our own way across the dunes, not just follow over tracks.
We took our time and at one stage didn't see another vehicle for 2 days.
Whichever way you decide to go have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Will

here (i hope) is a reference to my blog of the trip ....BlogID: 208
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531031

Follow Up By: luxtourer - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 09:51

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 09:51
Thanks for the info Will. Also had a look at your blog (ID 2008 I think) and enjoyed that. I think I've read here somewhere though that the Rig dune crossings are becoming harder year by year?

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 814070

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 20:55

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 20:55
The Rig Road is not particularly difficult past the Knolls although it has deteriorated from lack of use with many detours around eroded clay capped sections. In 2012 the dunes were no challenge to us but that can change after dry windy conditions. The Warburton Track had all but disappeared in places due to several years of closure. Long grass had us navigating by GPS across the flood-out area but suspect last season's traffic has re-established the route.
I would say it was a touch easier to drive than the French Line but more difficult to navigate. Certainly a more interesting drive than straight across.
Have fun Craig..............
AnswerID: 531136

Follow Up By: luxtourer - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 21:44

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 21:44
Thanks Craig
Sounds like the condition depends on recent strong winds, as you say, and whether there has been recent traffic to re-establish a track through. I've managed to track down a couple of photos, and the last dune before the K1 Line looks like it could be quite a challenge in the right (or should that be wrong?) conditions.
We can always make a decision when we get to Knolls Junction anyway.

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 814161

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 22:33

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 22:33
John just had a look at a video of the last dune before Kuncherinna Junction & was pretty uneventful. Usual eroded clay track with small detour over a double crested sand hill. Maybe if towing an overloaded camper could give some trouble otherwise simply up & over.
FollowupID: 814165

Follow Up By: luxtourer - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 14:29

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 14:29
Thanks Craig
That's reassuring news anyway. We certainly won't be towing!

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 814199

Sponsored Links