Roadside Assistance

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 19:01
ThreadID: 107426 Views:3293 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I use to be a member of the RAA in South Australia. Before leaving for a trip to Darwin (3years ago) I contacted the RAA about what cover I should have, which I did & upgraded to a premium which was suppose to cover a lengthy tow should I need it.
I broke down near Timber Creek on the Victoria Highway about one hundred kilometres from Kununurra WA & 400 hundred kilometres fom Katherine NT. I rang the RAA at 10:00 am & they would not send a tow truck from Kununurra but would send a tow truck from Katherine. Eventually at around I would I was not being towed because of the distance.
When I returned to Adelaide I was told by the RAA country services manager that it was only a gentle man's agreement if you got towed or not.
So I changed to 24/7 Roadservice who claimed they covered you Australia wide except Tasmania.
My renewal with 24/7 is due & I have received my membership renewal.
So I phoned them this afternoon & was told they now do not cover vehicles older than 10 years. So My question is Allianz Roadside Assistance worthwhile?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 19:47

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 19:47
Allianz is just basic roadside assistance (I have it free with my car insurance) - nothing extra - fine if you run around town and in my view a little better than say NRMA basic roadside assistance (3500kgs vs 2500kgs vehicle weight) but if you are out travelling across the country I would be looking at the Premium coverage from one of the major auto associations.

Garry
AnswerID: 531084

Follow Up By: Member - KBAD - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 20:03

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 20:03
Conversation going on in this thread may have relevance for you
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/107411/Roadside_assistance_when_towing.aspx?ky=&sn=&p=%2fForum%2fDefault.aspx%3fpn%3d1
FollowupID: 814099

Reply By: Rustynails59 - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 22:03

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 22:03
Hi there,
Motoring 24-7 don't cover vehicles more than 20 years old
I have just joined them and read their prospectus
AnswerID: 531094

Follow Up By: Garry E1 - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 16:52

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 16:52
Thanks for reply but 24/7 have changed their rules to they now do not cover a vehicle that older ten years old.
I have been with them 2 1/2 years & never had a claim.

Regards
Garry
FollowupID: 814140

Follow Up By: Rustynails59 - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 16:59

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 16:59
Weird as their terms and conditions state must be under 20 years old and it's still on their website
FollowupID: 814141

Follow Up By: Garry E1 - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 17:16

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 17:16
I rang them yesterday & was told this , then into their onsite membership application & is on there as well.
What makes me mad at no time did they contact me about this.

I have now sent them an email & I awaiting a reply.

Regards
Garry
FollowupID: 814142

Follow Up By: Rustynails59 - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 20:32

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 20:32
Perhaps tell them to update their website , after all it's a legal media these days
FollowupID: 814154

Reply By: evaredy - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 15:22

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 15:22
Gary, I would not have settled for that, why couldn't they send a tow from Kununurra? It just doesn't make sense that they would send a tow from 4 times the distance.

I certainly would not have accepted their excuse as it being a gentleman's agreement.

I would have asked for their terms and conditions, at least then you would know exactly what you are and are not entitled to.

Motoring 24/7 doesn't seem to be very good from what I have read.

You are only allowed free towing to a max of 50k Radius in the country, is this a round trip or each way. You are charged the operators fee for anything over 50k. This could work out to be quite expensive in deed. They state they will transport the driver and make no mention at all in regards to all passengers.

this could be awkward if you are in the middle of nowhere.

They offer up to $400 dollars for accommodation, travelling etc you can only use one option at a time and cannot combine them, but you are only allowed a max of $500 per year.

But you are not entitled to the above until 48 hours after the breakdown.

Just comparing RAC's highest cover which admittedly may seem expensive it may work out to be cheaper because you are allowed more K's before you are required to pay the operator.

Ultimate Plus is $275 a year.

Guaranteed Service Areas - Metropolitan Regional Centres towing is 200 k from point of breakdown.

You are also entitled to 2 tow incidents.

Non-guaranteed Service Areas - Country areas towing is 300k round trip, so 150 each way.

Accommodation and car hire when more than 100 k from home $1250 per year.

Plus they transport driver and upto 4 passengers.

Extended benefits are available 24 hours after breakdown.

I am with RAC and have asked them to send me their Terms and Conditions/PDS for Roadside Assist, it will be interesting to see exactly what is and what is not covered.
AnswerID: 531118

Follow Up By: Garry E1 - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 16:49

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 16:49
I had the RAA's terms & conditions & yes your right about the RACWA could have come from Kununurra. The problem was when I dialled 131111 this took me to the AANT not the RAA & apparently it does not matter what happens when ytou dial that number you are connected that states body which are in
I switched to 24/7 roadservice & now they say they will not cover a vehicle that is older than 10 years old.
I own a 2000 Holden Jackaroo & it is in top condition & would take it any where.
I would like to know where these companies are coming from.
I have sent 24/7 an email today, so now I am waiting on a reply.
My next move maybe is to contact consumer affairs.

Regards
Garry
FollowupID: 814139

Follow Up By: evaredy - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 18:05

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 18:05
hey like insurance companies love to take your money, but will use their loopholes to get out of paying when you make a claim.

Hopefully you can get some resolve through Consumer Affairs.

With the 24/7 I would be extremely wary if out in the bush miles from any town.
As they state you are to pay what ever the operator at the time feels is a good price, once you are over their limit. It may end up costing you a lot of money.
FollowupID: 814146

Reply By: allein m - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 18:13

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 18:13
Yes they can be a little funny with there terms I live in Broken Hill so we have the middle level cover with RAA and thought that would cover us well we got 2 flat tires in a matter of 20 ks and we were just on my limit of 100 ks from town , so we rang up sorry we do not tow for flat tires any more .

This is Sunday morning we are of to Adelaide any way we asked to speak to the duty manager explaining to him we had just bought 4 new tires and it seems they did not replace the tubless valves

He approved the tow in the end but I was not happy at the thought of paying a lot of money for a tow

The other problem I have since found out is there is only two RAA serivice agents on the Barrier hwy between Adelaide these daysPeterborough and Broken hill

AnswerID: 531128

Follow Up By: Garry E1 - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 18:39

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 18:39
Your problem is similar to mine.
The RAA is like any other insurer, they want your money but do not want to give any service.
I picked up a new terms & conditions booklet & it states on page 6 that they cover you, no matter where are in Australia.
But when ring up for assistance you get a different story.

I did get legal advice & was told I would win any court action but I was a bit cautious as the RAA have their own legal team.

Regards
Garry
FollowupID: 814148

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 09:44

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 09:44
Yes that is the thing they have all the power and the legal team to back them up

But I think the best action is when you ring them and they say no take it further up the ladder in a sense what have you got to loose.

I had a situation when I went out of town (Broken Hill ) just after the big wet few years back and was on the dirt road and part of the road gave way and I was stuck 7pm at night

I explained I was on a dirt road next to the railway line it is used by the mines and property owners

I was told no tow so I organized my own tow and next day went back took some images and such and emailed them to the manager of the RAA road service and he paid for the tow

So next day I went back took some images and explained what happened and emailed the images to the manager of road service in Adelaide and he rang back said the lady had no choice because to said diirt road out of town but now he has seen and understands what and how it happened he is happy to pay for the tow

the side of the road just fell away into a huge hole left hand front wheel went down and I was unable to get out

FollowupID: 814172

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 09:46

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 09:46
opps sorry bit of lag on my system there I doubled up

FollowupID: 814173

Sponsored Links