Rear camera monitor

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 20:40
ThreadID: 107441 Views:1974 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have had a safety Dave rear camera monitor installed so when I tow the van I can see what is behind me
The issue I am having is that the monitor will sometimes work and sometimes not
For example, I towed the van this morning to get serviced, when arrived turned the car off which turns the monitor off. When told where to park the van, turned on car but no monitor- it has no power, but then might come on 5 minutes later
I have contacted the installer who reckons it's a faulty monitor. I personally think it's a faulty wire loom
Anyone had similar problems ??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Regina M - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 21:08

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 21:08
Hmmmm
I feel sore.

What could it be?
AnswerID: 531137

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 21:40

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 21:40
What's wrong with believing the installer and get them to just fix it. That's what you pay them for. It doesn't matter if it's the camera or their wiring.

Phil
AnswerID: 531140

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 07:18

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 07:18
x2 They did the install? These guys sound ready to replace whatever is faulty.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 814166

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 07:19

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 07:19
If the installer used scotch locks (displacement connectors) to connect the camera system to the existing wiring loom, that may well be your problem.
Scotch locks are notorious for this problem.

My OEM tow bar was fitted through the Holden Dealer. (Not necessarily by them)
Every once in a while, my right hand brake light didn't work.
Pull out the light assembly, replace the scotch lock the installer used to break into the wiring loom and problem fixed.

Unfortunately, there are times when a scotch lock is the only practical solution, but they can be a bugger for causing problems with poor connections.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531147

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 08:04

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 08:04
You aren't kidding mate.

That's one of the main reasons we went with the VMS in-dash box for GPS and rear camera. All their wiring, and to the rear camera also, plus they used a proper fully compatable loom cable made for our model. No soldering, ID connections nor "adapting" or modifying the car wiring to suit their box. Just plug and play so to speak. And I still have old stereo that just plugs back in.

Phil
FollowupID: 814167

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 09:55

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 09:55
Rusty mate you can think whatever you like, but that is not sound fault finding procedure.

Someone elses problems have not a thing to do with yours.

The only thing that will get your problem solved is straight forward step by step fault finding.

It may well be a faulty monitor, it my just as easily be a wiring fault, it may be somthing else all together.

As for scotchlocks in automotive wiring......there is always an alternative.

I do all my own wiring...because I can & I know it will be right.

BUT, if I was getting someone else to do electrical work..I would be putting it in writing that if they use scotch locks on my vehicle I would be charging them for a replacement harnes and fitting.

This is the view of many government contracts.

They are horrible things.....realy.....repeated and common causes of problems.

That said.
The genuine Scotch product does work reliably on the correct sized cables when installed correctly.
The problem is most that are used are cheap, nasty, generic rubbish, they are applied with no knoweledge or concern for the wire size and most who use them just squeeze with a pair of pliers and hope for the best...many don't even get em on straight.

I worked with a bunch of auto accessory installers for a couple of days a while back...sorry, these guys where rough....but no way they would risk a scotchlock.

cheers
AnswerID: 531163

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:24

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:24
Re the scotch locks, there are millions of them joining telephone wires together and by using the proper size and proper tool they do make a very good connection...even better than soldered joints according to the demonstration by cable jointing instructors at the old Telecom.
FollowupID: 814180

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:01

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:01
Scotch locks on telephones are a whole other story and they are a completly different device.

Telephone wires are solid conductors and come in very narrow range of sizes.

The telephone wire joiners are not intended for mid span wire tapping

the telphone wire joiners are filled with silicon grease to exclude moisture.

AND, if you are complying with instructions you should be using a dedicated tool to compress them...I own such a tool.

EVEN then they fail and can not be compared to the solder joints that preceeded them.

The telstra serial and item number, genuine item, scotchlocks on my own property pole have been replaced twice, because they became unreliable, the whole bulk termination across the road up the pole has been reworked recently because of a similar issue.

The telephone wire terminators are fairly reliable in all situations in the short to medium term.....but in the long term they have issues

They are used primarilly because they are many times faster than any other outdoor jointing method.

BTW. I trained in Telecom (back when we had a phone service run in the public interest and not for corporate profit)....at a time when Krone was just comming in, these scotch lock phone wire joiners where considered new and $#@t hot and would last forever AND we still did a hell of a lot of soldering.

Let me tell you over a 30 year period I'll back the soldered connection over the scotchlock anyday.

The problem with soldering is it takes time and skill....both something most of our modern telephone installers have little of.

cheers
FollowupID: 814188

Reply By: evaredy - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:31

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:31
How old is it?

I would contact Safety Dave and have a chat to him, ask he he can send you another monitor to test. If it turns out that it still doesn't work, you can then just post it back to him.
It will then fall back to the wiring, you can then approach the person that did it and let them know that you have tried another monitor and it still won't work, ask them to check the wiring and all connections.

If the other monitor does work ok, just send the faulty one back to Safety Dave.
AnswerID: 531172

Reply By: Rustynails59 - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 14:29

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 14:29
Thanks to all who responded
The installer came this morning, yes ANZAC day, and replaced part of the wiring loom. After speaking to safety Dave ( both of us separately) it was decided it wasn't likely to be the monitor, but rather part of the wiring. Time will tell but I feel confident it will solve the problem. Safety Dave are sending me a spare wiring loom when I arrive in Coober Pedy just in case- can't ask for much better than that
AnswerID: 531187

Sponsored Links