Gas bottles stolen ( how to secure)

Wednesday before Easter some one decided around 7.00am to pinch both my gas bottles off the van parked in my driveway which I was getting ready to leave for the break in that night. Must have been watching for a while as they used a pair of bolt cutters to cut the bike security lock i had around them. thankfully took nothing else.
Not some thing you would expect to get lifted, but now I have to ensure they stay put. What do you use for securing gas bottles.
Daz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:47

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:47
Hi Daz,

Have you seen these?
http://www.traveluniverse.com.au/Lock-Alarm-Cable-Locks-2-4-or-4-6/LockAlarm.htm
One of the shorter ones might do the job for you.

We have recently bought one of the longer ones to secure our small tinny, outboard and trailer to the front of the van when parked in our front yard.
We also plan on using it to keep our generator or other items secure when we are travelling.

Hope this helps you,
regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531183

Reply By: Member - Odog - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:51

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 13:51
Hey Daz
Guess I'm not really much help... I use a bike lock... Might have to watch your thread, as the bike lock theory has been tested. We just got back from 8 week trip 10000km traveled, no miss haps.. Security was always a concern.. But can't spend the time worrying about stuff.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531184

Reply By: moamajohn - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:02

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:02
Hey Daz,They might look daggy but I used to use motor cycle cable locks when mine was in the drive.The cable is 3/8 thick and locks via a male female joint.Bolt cutters only compress the cable and they cant,cut the lock either.Go to a m/cycle shop Cheers John.
AnswerID: 531188

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:04

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 15:04
I suppose im not surprised - ive seen some pretty wierd and worthless things stolen like a 1 tonne block of cement

but gas bottles?
I could maybe see it if it was a crime of oportunity but cutting a lock to get this ever so valuable comodity??
AnswerID: 531190

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:01

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:01
off topic but another wierd thing I had stolen was kind of not stolen but swapped

someone took the wheels off my bike with pumped up tyres and replaced them with wheels with punctured tyres ...???
FollowupID: 814208

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 09:44

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 09:44
It is amazing what some people will steal. Kinda makes you wonder if some are just looking to steal whatever they can sell or just too lousy to put their hands in their pockets for something they need. Then maybe some are just kleptomaniacs who have a need to just steal without any particular need for the item.
The determined or professional thief will generally get whatever they set out to take. They will have bolt cutters, angle grinders or whatever although angle grinders will cut just about anything they are noisey buggers.
I think deterring the opportunistic dirtbag is all we can do in practical terms.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 814253

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 10:44

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 10:44
Pop, it amazes me too. I used to work in a pinball/games parlour in my youth ... anything that wasn't bolted down would get '5 fingered' in a flash. Weirdest one was a bottle of Windex spray with about an inch of liquid and a dirty chux I used to wipe the pinball machines down. Went to the office to get more change, came back out and bingo - gone!

Still scratch me head over that one..........
FollowupID: 814258

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 16:30

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 16:30
Hi Daz,
Bugger Mate!

Stranded cable style locks are the better type to use to secure against the opportunist thief.
The stranded stainless steel cable is much harder to cut through unless the feral mongrels have invested in a battery operated angle grinder. (And a charger to keep the battery charged)

Some low life's in our communities just won't pay for anything.
They will steal to get a buck or two to go towards their next "fix".
What a woeful life they must lead.

Some years ago, I had a length of stranded stainless steel cable made up with eyes each end to which I could put a padlock or two on, the padlocks rated as high security with a hardened steel shackle to resist cutting with bolt cutters or hacksaw. I used to pass the cable through the solar panel frame, fridge and the handles on my Thumper battery pack and secure the lot to the vehicle axle. (A paranoid camper I was)

When I heard about the introduction of battery operated angle grinders, I changed my perception of what is really securable.

I now use the cable strung between a couple of droppers to give my dog a sliding "dog run" when we take him away with us.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531198

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 07:16

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 07:16
Move to a better suburb.
AnswerID: 531239

Follow Up By: Member - daz (SA) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 21:32

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 21:32
Where do you live ???
FollowupID: 814369

Reply By: evaredy - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 18:42

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 18:42
Unless you are prepared to pay very good money for bike locks, they are useless. For anything decent you will be looking at 200 and up. We have bikes and have researched them thoroughly when we wanted to lock up $10,000 worth of bikes.

There was a video getting around where a bike shop tested a lot of so called quality locks ranging from 20 to 150 and had a pro thief try to compromise the locks. It was amazing to say the least at just how fast he was, none were unbeatable.

I can't remember what the chain is that I use for our camper, but I got it from a locksmith. I just told him what I wanted it for and that it had to be the best there was. i also got a good quality lock from them as well.

There are also other options, such as Stainless steel cables with good lock. this is where I have purchased mine from. I bought several different lengths and use them to lock up gear when camping.

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=6942.0;topicseen

Scroll down the page to see some photos and information about the different types of ends available. He will also do custom lengths as well.

Then you could also go with a U LOCK type lock something like this Abus Granit X-Plus 54, which designed for bikes but may work well for gas bottles, depending on the distance between them of course.

http://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks/U-locks/Granit-X-Plus-54

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 531278

Reply By: Member - daz (SA) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 21:30

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 21:30
Thanks to all for your interest
Purchased a metre of Master Lock high security 8 mm hardened steel chain enclosed in a plastic tube. Secured bottles along with two number 9 quality master padlocks. just to make things around van more secure a got a metre of 6mm hardened chain as well and secured the spare tyre with another no 9 padlock. Now a thief will need to be well prepared to pinch bottles or the spare,
Am also going to buy one of the piercing alarms that will go off if attempted to be cut. Will thread through gas bottles as an extra deterrent and use to pinch proof my portable solar panels when camping .
So far $182 in cost & still to buy the alarm
Thanks Daz
AnswerID: 531371

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 16:57

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 16:57
Put a piece of insulation tape over the key hole of the padlock. This stops dust getting in. Otherwise it may be difficult to insert the key.
Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 814408

Sponsored Links