Looking for interesting campsite near Warburton crossing Goyder Lagoon

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 17:38
ThreadID: 107460 Views:2685 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning a trip in July, and will be traveling south on the Warburton track then to Mungarannie.

I have been looking at staying somewhere near Goyder Lagoon, or Tippipila creek bush camp or near Warburton Crossing.

I am somewhat interested in Goyder Lagoon as the Diamantina flows into it and the Warburton flows out of it and into Lake Eyre.

Has anyone taken a look around this area in the dry and know if there are any interesting places to camp, especially at the water hole at Goyder Lagoon wihich looks permanent? I have been trying to research it and there almost nothing on Goyder Lagoon on the internet. I was very surprised.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 18:24

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 18:24
Nothing in that area got me excited BooBook

Drove both Inside track and Warburton track last sept (which way are you going).
Warburton track area was all cut up and to the sides as well.
Where before the 5 year closure it was much nicer.

Up on the inside track near Goyder the quality of inside track was better than birdsville track itself however it gave me the impression of being graded to discourage camps.

Someone should be able to give a more up to date comment on Tippipila than me but it seemed the better.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531204

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:18

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:18
Damm Robin I would love it if you found something.

I'm taking a month to do the Simpson E - W then swinging up around to Jervois and heading down the Hay River track and out through K1/ Walkers Crossing and to Mungarannie. I was researching the Goyder Lagoon area. I know it hasn't been accessible for a while but I would like to get into the actual lagoon, I hope it is permanent.
FollowupID: 814224

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:43

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:43
Boobook,

On our way down to Lake Eyre, in June 2011, we camped at Moongarra Channels, which are at the top of Clifton Hills. Probably a bit far to backtrack from the Warburton Crossing.

Tippipila didn't impress us at the time, gidgea stones everywhere, but the Boss was impressed with the onsite toilets. We weren't ready to camp at that hour, but there may have been better sites down along the creek.

Down the drain at Gason Bore wouldn't be too bad, where the water is a bit cooler, or perhaps along the creek it flows into. There's a few trees along the drain that would provide some relief from any winter winds, and a bit of shade.

Some years ago, we camped on the Warburton, on Cowarie Station while a group of us sorted out the fledgling Georgina Diamantina Catchment Group. Top spot, with the sounds of the Creek rattling its way down to the Groove, and Lake Eyre. On the same trip, we called into Clifton Hills and drove from the station into the edge of the Lagoon, and spent an hour or so. Was nowhere near the waterhole you're interested in.

That 'hole looks to be a few kms off the Inside Track, so unless you found a track into it(quite likely) it could be very rough going. Might knock the edge off a great camp, knowing you have to come back out the next day :-)

There's a camp at the Cooper crossing too, with few big trees but not much firewood that I can recall.

We thought Clayton's was a great camp, and the mice were polite and friendly. Didn't try the spa, but the showers aren't bad, as long as the water from the bore has been flowing through the day, to bring the temperature up from near freezing.

Sounds like a good trip you have planned. Hope you get some good weather,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531224

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 22:25

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 22:25
Gday Tony,
Our preference has been to camp at Warburton crossing (south side of the creek). Its good and pleasant. Tippipila creek is out of your way, and not worth backtracking for, but we camped there a couple of years back and it was fine.

Goyder Lagoon is either there or its not. Its just a huge flat floodplain. When it has water, the track is shut because its boggy. When it's dry the best camp is at Dickeree Waterhole which is only about 20k from Birdsville. In my opinion, its not worth backtracking for a camp.

The common camps at Cooper Creek and Clayton Bore are OK in our experience. We'd most often do the run from Warburton Crossing to Farina in a day and camp at those places.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 531226

Sponsored Links