Towing mirror support arms

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 15:49
ThreadID: 107491 Views:1934 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I,m looking at the above for my new Ranger not previously needed on the Patrol.Has anyone had any experience with A. the magnetic patch ones Or B the suction pad ones.
Bit reluctant to put anything on the paint work but as quoted by Ora it is a non scratch material.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gbc - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 19:07

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 19:07
C. The old fashioned seat belt wind up versions work o.k. On the ranger for us if you run out of other options.
AnswerID: 531358

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 22:33

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 22:33
I've got a BT50 and had been using the ones with belts like seatbelts on the previous 4wd. But on the trip last year had problems on the rough roads. I bit the bullet and installed the "clearview" mirrors. They are expensive but they are the best mirrors I have ever used. They replace the standard mirrors and still have the electric bit and lights if you have them in yours and you don't need to take them off and on. They just slide in when not towing.
There is a different mirror for each model of the BT50/Ranger, mine is the standard Black with no lights, you can get silver with or without lights if you have the other models.
Just google Clearview mirrors

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531380

Reply By: Member - mdgodf - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 12:18

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 12:18
Over the years I have had all three types (magnetic, suction, and the 'belt' ones - a.k.a Aussie truck mirrors I think). All have their issues. The only ones that scratched the paint work were the belt ones where the belt's hook grabs the bottom of the door. Also the belt ones I had had a piece of plastic that slides down into the window cavity. Every time I opened the window it would get pushed out. Also every time I got back in the car and shut the door the mirror would move so had to be re-adjusted - a real pain.

The best ones I found were the magnetic ones, though the strap broke on one of them so I know have the suction type (only because it broke during a trip and the suction ones were all that I could get). The suction cup looses its "suc" sometimes but not often...so far. No doubt they will break sometime in the future and I would go back to the magnetic ones. they magnetic and suction type are also more convenient if you want to remove the mirrors while in a town for a few days. You don't have to take the strap that's around the car's mirror off.

I've considered the clearview mirrors (and looked at them again at the Sydney show on the weekend) but they are too big - even folded the landcrusier would only just fit in the garage at home. I think though if you were travelling most of the time they would be the go. But if only travelling a few times a year they are too big. Your car will look like Dumbo the elephant - not that that really matters.

Mark
AnswerID: 531409

Reply By: steamfire01 - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 18:33

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 18:33
Hi new boy
As noted elsewhere the clearview mirrors are very expensive (unless you buy them online from the USA) and there's no doubt about it they are really huge, many would say way too big.
Any mirror system that relies on attaching or being braced on the door will eventually cause some damage to the paintwork.
Have a look at Milenco mirrors, they attach to your existing mirrors and don't vibrate.
I bought a pair prior to a lap last year and they performed brilliantly on my Patrol including a run down the Gibb. Check them out on line.
Keep safe out there.
Regards
TJ
AnswerID: 531426

Follow Up By: steamfire01 - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 21:00

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 21:00
New boy
Oops, I just noticed that clearview are designed and made in Australia, I was getting carried away after buying a set of Rock Tamers online from the USA for much less than those sold by the people that also sell clearview mirrors.
Anyhow, I still believe that clearview mirrors are far too big and far too expensive.
Keep safe out there
Regards
TJ
FollowupID: 814441

Reply By: Slow one - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 19:05

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 19:05
I have use the Aussie truck mirrors on my PX Ranger. Have used these mirrors on 2 vehicles clocking up over 100000K with no problems. 20000K plus on the Ranger.

I was given some Milenco ones to try on the ranger and they are not a patch on the Aussie truck mirrors. They don't have the same vibration problems and I like flat glass for backing.

I have not damaged to my paint on either vehicle or the window rubbers.

One thing I have always done to avoid damage, is to use magnetic sign writing material behind the straps, and I make sure the doors are clean before I put the magnetic material on them.

On the Ranger if you decide to use these mirrors you don't try and put them next to the glass, they fit on the next section out. Once removed the door rubbers will go back to shape after a month or so. I have never had a problem with the bottom of the doors on either vehicle. If you get the genuine Aussie Truck mirrors, they have good rubber protection where they hook onto the door bottom.

AnswerID: 531428

Sponsored Links