Another NS Pajero lift kit / suspension upgrade

Hi All,

I know this has been asked many times before, that said I'm a new member and the last thread i could see was 3 years old.

I have a stock 2007 NS Pajero Exceed with an ECB 3 hoop alloy bullbar.

Wanting to raise it with the standard 2" lift kit and upgraded shocks / springs.

Currently its a black bitumen ride, towing either my ezytrail camper trailer or 5.1 mtr alloy fishing boat. I am just about to join a local 4wd club, but expect any off road to be either easy / med tracks or sand dunes.

I have been researching many options, don't think i need air bags as i dont tow a heavy caravan etc. Looking for suggestions on which kits would be most suitable, EFS or tough dog have been the two front of mind, why? maybe just marketing I'm not an expert in this area.

Will b doing a little more off road (no Simpson desert or trips to the cape) just taking the missus and grand kids to simple off grid camping sites, as well as club day and weekend trips.

Wheels are stock 18" rims with wrangler tyres - would appreciate any suggestions on replacement tyres also - thought Coopers At3 as an option?

Thanks
Matt

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: patsproule - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 06:16

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 06:16
Don't listen to the marketing. Lovells coils and Bilstein shocks have long been regarded the best combination in a late model Pajero. There is a very active aussie forum called Pajeroclub with countless owner experiences reflected. This combo is always rated highly. I'm on my second set of Bilsteins having put 200,000km on the first and 100,000km on the second so far with no issues and a lot of abuse. Lovells springs are a progressive rate coil and come in a selection of weights - typically you put the heavier ones in a diesel and / or with a constant load in the back.

Pat
AnswerID: 531387

Reply By: Matty_P - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 08:28

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 08:28
Thanks Pat - appreciate the feedback and the link.
AnswerID: 531393

Reply By: NTVRX - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 20:21

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 20:21
I had a 2003 NP diesel GLS I put Koni adjustables & King springs all round. The rear springs were progressive rate or load sharing springs. We towed an off road camper trailer. Never had problem with this combination which gave me a 40mm lift. I had B F Goodrich A/T tyres. In 2009 bought a VRX diesel auto fitted OME shocks & King springs same as the NP set up. I have stuck with the BFG's as I consider them the best on & off road tyre. We have done numerous desert trips & around the map. Never had any problems with the vehicle,suspension set up or tyres. Robert.
AnswerID: 531433

Follow Up By: Matty_P - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 19:35

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 19:35
thanks guys for your feedback, after many days or reading and checking forums am down to 2 options.
1. Lovells springs and shocks - $850 delivered 36mm long travel legends
2. Bilstein shocks and Lovells springs - 46mm big bore $1250 delivered

option 2 is my preference, but given my budget and the fact i will see more blacktop than dirt or sand its mostly likely optin 1. Its been enlightning listening to different opions and justifications.

Should have them sometime next week, get em fitted ready for my basic driving course with the TLCC in a couple of weeks.

One thing is for certain, there isnt any right or wrongs - its horses for courses and nearly every ones requirements and rigs are going to be different.

thanks Matty P
FollowupID: 814638

Follow Up By: Member - BrisVegas - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 09:00

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 09:00
I'd spend the little bit extra and get the Bilsteins. I agonised over it too, but in the end I didn't want to second guess myself by not getting "the best". I paid for the fronts to be installed and the 4 wheel alignment after putting the rears in with the help of a mate.

Some people have expressed concern about Bilsteins being vulnerable to rock strike on dirt roads as they're a monotube design. This is probably more likely if you're on dirt constantly. They do make little rock shields for them if you're really worried about it. I suspect the shields would stop the airflow and therefore heat dissipation from the cylinder though.

I've got Bilsteins and HD King springs (progressive rate) and coudn't be happier. They're not harsh when empty and when loaded to the eyeballs, the wagon doesn't sag or wallow.
FollowupID: 814661

Follow Up By: Matty_P - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 17:10

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 17:10
Thanks BrisVegas.....

Couldn't help myself......went the Bilsteins & lovells package with stone guards. At least i wont have future doubts!

Luv the Shrek!
FollowupID: 814726

Sponsored Links