Track Update for Donohue & Plenty Highway's

Hi all

Just advising we went from Boulia to the Stuart Highway across the Donohue & Plenty from Boulia a few weeks ago & it was quite doable - we took it easy. I had the Troopy towing a Jayco Hawk & had to drop to about 20klm/hr for about an hour but averaged about 60klm/hr for the dirt section until Gemtree. It did rain from Harts Range as well so the bulldust became a bit sloppy. Had a great trip overall - did about 7500k since April 1st.Home now without any dramas at all.
Stef
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 21:31

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 21:31
Good on you Stef, how about updating the track conditions as well. That way it won't get lost in down the archive line.

Donohue Road Conditions page

Trust you enjoyed the trip. I will never forget the bull dust we drove through near Tobermoray during cattle mustering time. Man it was a beaut.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531372

Reply By: P_Young - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 09:52

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 09:52
Hi Stef

We were thinking of taking this route in July. I have a 2011 Grand Vitara. Not as much clearance as larger 4WDs. Are there many/any sections that require good clearance (deeper crossings, deep wheel ruts etc)?

Also do we need to carry extra fuel?

We're not towing anything (just carrying a roof top tent).

Many thanks

Peter
AnswerID: 531791

Follow Up By: Stefandsal - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:15

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:15
Hi Peter

Mate the road would be fine if you take it easy. It didn't have any major wheel ruts/conditions etc that would prevent almost ANY vehicle doing it but, take it easy.

Having said that, I would call Tobermorey/Jervois/Gemtree/Harts Range Police to double check - just in case it rains before you go.

In regard to fuel, it's a long way, but Tobermorey & Jervois both have fuel (actually didn't notice if they had unleaded/opal, but they have diesel), however, you will pay a premium, so if you need it, perhaps only get what you need.Boulia will be you last fuel stop & despite what the brochure says, there is no fuel on Sunday's.

Have a good time & remember, if you take the drive easy & don't get tempted to speed, your tyres should be fine. The bull dust shouldn't be too much drama seeing you aren't towing anything.

Enjoy

Stef
FollowupID: 814974

Sponsored Links