Chescold fridge

Submitted: Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1075 Views:1772 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Is it possible and safe to run Chescold on gas inside the vehicle....overnight ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axel- Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00
Yes,it is possible,but VERY unsafe ,should the flame go out an explosion is a real possibility ,,, never mind safety cutouts ect,they have been known to fail,,,,also gas fridges or any gas appliance needs to be vented to the outside,,a chescold running on gas produces plenty of heat if run in a confined space with a corresponding loss of efficiency,,,,
AnswerID: 3322

Reply By: Colin- Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00

It is not recomended as there is a risk of fire - I do run mine on gas in the car but only when I am nearby - leave a door or window open for ventilation and keep back of frig clear. I turn it off at night as it will normally keep cold enough. Always turn it off at the bottle, and let the flame go out before disconnecting the line.
AnswerID: 3331

Reply By: MarkC - Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00

Hey Milo, by law the largest gas cylinder you are allowed to keep in a car is 1.25kg. The fridge will have a safety cut out on it, that in the event of the flame blowing out will shut the gas off. This is a fail safe valve, ie if the valve dies, it shuts off the gas all the time. The biggest worries are fire from the heat generated from the burner, and the burning of oxygen in the car (if you are sleeping in it). In summary, don't do it!
AnswerID: 3332

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Milo
One advatage of a dual cab ute, with canopy. You can run the fridge in the back overnight, just leave the window ajar and put the gar bottle outside the vehicle overnight. The main problem with gas is that it is heavy than air and needs to be vented through the floor if are using it inside a vehicle
Ray
AnswerID: 3334

Sponsored Links