Missing brake adjusters

Submitted: Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 17:34
ThreadID: 107512 Views:1385 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I am having some issues with electric trailer brakes on camper trailer with one side only working very weakly. The other seems ok. There is a strong humming evident on both sides when brakes are applied so I am thinking at this stage the problem is mechanical.

Having trawled through this site for answers I thought I might try to adjust the brakes however I cannot find the adjusters.

I removed the rubber grommet where I expected it to be however there is only a spring evident on the side not working. Thinking this is not right I looked at the other side and cannot see anything at all in the hole. I have adjusted rear drum brakes on utes before so I have a good idea what I am looking for however this has got me stumped.

The only possibility I can think of is some auto arrangement as the brakes did not work at all after the trailer sat idle for a while so I worked the hand brake a few times which seemed to loosen them up enough to at least get one side working.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 18:25

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 18:25
Humming is normal with some brake controllers with the brakes on, all brake setups I have seen have they usual wheel type adjuster with a spring on it to stop it turning by vibration etc.

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531424

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 18:52

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 18:52
G'day Peter

I suggest you whip off the drums and have a good squiz. There is the possibility the adjusting mechanism has been put in arse about face with the cogged wheel not obvious through the adjusting slot. You will get a better idea how the whole setup is configured and also have the opportunity of pulling the adjusting mechanism apart and lubricating as I have found they can rust up quite considerably when left idle or subjected to salt etc.
AnswerID: 531427

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 19:56

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 19:56
Also a great time to service the wheel bearings and seals.
FollowupID: 814424

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 21:51

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 21:51
As has been said....probably a good idea to whip the wheels and drums off and get a good look at the assembly inside.

If they are one of the popular brands..or a knock off of a popular brand you should be able to grab at least an assembly diagrame off the net.....if ya lucky you may get a full set of instructions.

It has been testified many times in the past that getting the backing plates properly aligned and all the rub points lubed up, can work wonders for electrc brakes.

It is all to common for electric brakes to be neglected or even incorrectly installed and adjusted from the get go.

As we all know..brake adjusters of all types are notorious for getting gummed up.....taking them out , cleaning them and giving them a good dose of anti-seaze is a good polocy regardless.

cheers
AnswerID: 531437

Reply By: Peter T9 - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014 at 15:40

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014 at 15:40
Thanks for the replies.
I will pull them apart and see what is going on.
AnswerID: 531475

Sponsored Links