Alice Springs to Perth via South then West – What to See?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 04:55
ThreadID: 107536 Views:1685 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all!
I’ve got a drive planned from Alice to Perth via the GCR and Gunbarrel from June 4 to June 17, but I want to come prepared with contingencies in case I can’t get permission from Britz for the Gunbarrel/GCR, or in case the weather doesn’t cooperate. So I’m looking for a good Plan B. I’ve looked at possibly heading north-west on the Tanami and then taking the highways west and south along the coast, but it is a hefty drive. I want to plan a south-west option and I’m looking for advice on some good drives/parks/scenery.

If I were to head south on the Stuart and eventually west on the Eyre, do you have any suggestions for must-see areas or good routes to make sure I take? Particularly once I hit the Coolgardie-Esperance Hwy and have the option of either the south route along the coast or the inland northern route. If it helps steer the suggestions, I’m looking for good camping, maybe some out-of-the way drives. I’ve looked at several ExploreOz treks but I’m not sure which would be good this time of year and would love some suggestions.

Of course I’m hoping I won’t have to use this alternate plan, but I want to be prepared.

Thanks!
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wizzer73 - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:01

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:01
So if you coming westward on the eyre hwy you could take the Balladonia to Esperance track for something different. Nice camping spots in the bays east of Esperance.

balladonia - esperance track

On the eyre hwy near Cocklebiddy is a place called the Eyre Bird observatory. I nice 4wd track into there and back. You could easily camp down near the beach if required.

nullarbor map

weather could be against you tho being winter.

wizzer
AnswerID: 531515

Follow Up By: SteveCanuck - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 14:51

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 14:51
Thanks for the tips Wizzer. I'll add these to the "weather-dependent" list of possibilities if I end up heading along the coast. The more I research southern WA the more I'm thinking I'm going to need to plan another trip but in a better season for that area alone.

I'm still tossing around the long north-west-south drive to the south west drive as the better alternative, weighing driver-seat sight-seeing against cold, possibly wet camping. I'll just keep my fingers crossed I can push ahead with my original plan...and even if Britz doesn't give me the go-ahead for the Gunbarrel, I have a hard time believing they won't let me at least push through on the GCR. But still, not going to come 13,000kms without back-up plans :)
FollowupID: 814611

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 19:42

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 19:42
GCR shouldn't be a problem for Britz as it's a pretty good road but I can understand their reluctance regarding the Gunbarrel. Have you thought about GCR to Warburton and then South down the Connie Sue to Cocklebiddy on to the Eyre Highway. From there to Balladonia and down the Balladonia track to Esperance. The South West coast is magnificent.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531600

Follow Up By: SteveCanuck - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 16:04

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 16:04
Hmm..I had it in my mind that the Connie Sue was a no-go for Britz so I hadn't considered it, but looking again at the Britz agreement I don't see it mentioned. Doesn't mean it's fair game but that definitely leaves some options.

Thanks for the great suggestion!
FollowupID: 814719

Sponsored Links