Good WA wildflower season coming up?

Hi all,

A news report here on ABC yesterday (29th) is suggesting that there might be a good wildflower season this year.

The WA rainfall map here certainly looks promising. Are there any WA locals who might be able to provide further info?

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 14:36

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 14:36
Have a look here http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDW60045.txt most of the southern region has had a good drink.
AnswerID: 531520

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 15:12

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 15:12
So, are you heading there Val?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531522

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 16:24

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 16:24
No firm plans ATM Allan.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 814561

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 15:29

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 15:29
Hi John and Val,

I think the ABC got it right, it is looking like a good season, the orchids are out and about around the Margaret River / Augusta area already.

Eneabba, Dalwallinu and Wongan Hills have had less rain, but it still looks promising out that way as well.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 531523

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 15:40

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 15:40
LOL

how longs a piece of string?
yes a good start but last couple of years weve had next to no rain June and July

one rainfall doesnt make a good season and there predicting an El Nino year

youll just have to keep watching for decent falls up and beyond the north eastern wheatbelt
AnswerID: 531524

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 17:45

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 17:45
Probably a bit early to be absolutely sure but is a pretty good bet with this good opening rain. Lighter showers will now keep it going for a wonderful winter/spring full of flowers. If you haven't been to WA for a good wildflower year you have never seen anything like this any where else in the world. Last time I went from Perth to Mt Magnet I photographed 1,200 different wildflowers and I don't expect I got them all then. But if you really want to see variety then the Great Southern and South West is where you go in September to November.

Neil
AnswerID: 531527

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 16:42

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 16:42
Hi Neil,

Agree the western wildflowers are magnificent. We have been fortunate to have 2 trips over - one good year and one quite dry, so it was interesting to see the difference. Our cameras have worked hard on those trips - have a look through our blogs and in the wildflowers section for some of our finds. Would love to have another look, but just a pity its such a long way from Canberra.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 814626

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 18:25

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 18:25
Hi Val,

If the rain that the Gascoyne region is getting heads south a bit as winter sets in the wildfire season should be a good one. Lots of roads up here in the NW CLOSED because of damage and complete washaways.
We are heading for the GRR at the moment and hope it eases up a bit up here..(:-((

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 531531

Reply By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 22:28

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 22:28
Gidday

Travelling north yesterday there was a lot of water between Payne's Find and Mt Magnet. Even without follow up rain there should be a bit of moisture around for a while.

Cheers

AnswerID: 531544

Reply By: Member - Woteva - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 22:39

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 22:39
Bugga! Bugga! - good wildflower season means I will have to teach the Mrs how to use the old whippersnipper and clear the way in front of me when detecting.
Life was not meant to be easy eh?
Just joking, will keep fingers crossed for a good season (Wildflowers and Detecting)

Woteva
AnswerID: 531547

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 16:48

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 16:48
Well that sounds like a promising start. We will see what follow-up rain there is, and if that happens it will keep the farmers happy too. Anyway for those planning to go west this winter its an opportunity to plan to visit some of the wildflower areas. Hopefully we will see some wildflower photos posted up in due course.

Cheers ,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 531585

Sponsored Links