Deua national park NEW RESTRICTIONS

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 18:55
ThreadID: 107547 Views:1884 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Nat parks have today advised that taking any trailer in or out of the western side (braidwood side) is now illegal and fines will be issued.

Note trailers entering or leaving on eastern side is still permitted.

I did ask what was the reason for the ban and the officer said that trailers damage the drainage mounds that nat parks created,justifying the ban.(not the vehicles apparently)

They could not explain why the same trailers apparently do not damage the mounds on the other roads.

Also they say this is on their website,but it did not appear on the website on my phone, its different on a laptop.

You have to click on the red button "fires and closures " on their website to see the trails affected.

All the best,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 19:29

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 19:29
I have been in and out of the Braidwood side with my off road trailer some years back and it is very rough and steep! Large loose rocks on steep sections of the road make it rough going. Its not really suitable for trailers I believe, unless there has been considerable upgrades to the track in to Bendethera. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531534

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 21:27

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 21:27
Will be there this weekend and let you know..
FollowupID: 814579

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 20:28

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 20:28
I'd say that some careless person had an accident towing.
I don't know anything about Deua NP, but I do know that a decade ago NP banned trailers going into two very step tracks into Oxley Wild Rivers NP. I asked a ranger about it shortly afterwards and he said there was at least one nasty accident where a vehicle towing a heavy trailer got away on the owner and went seriously off the track.
I'd taken lighter camper trailers down into it until that stage, I used to have some interesting moments towing coming up around hair pin bends with erosion banks across them, but never any problem going down.
Have to make rules to protect people in light SUVs trying to emulate what someone in a serious 4WD does I guess.
AnswerID: 531539

Reply By: duck - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 21:30

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2014 at 21:30
Signs have been there advising against trailers on the western side for ages
AnswerID: 531540

Reply By: RodH, Sydney - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 08:05

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 08:05
That is disappointing. With appropriate care it is not a difficult road in from the West with a proper off-road trailer. (My signature photo was taken on the road into Deua from the West)

I do think NPNSW does little to try to understand today's off-road traveller.

Regards
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531618

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 11:40

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 11:40
Your correct about the difficulty of the tracks and not causing damage - however some people going down there are not nice and careful as you are - the knobs get in there ripping up tracks so it is not surprising that these tracks have been closed to trailers. NP have been asking for people to not take trailers on these tracks for some time and while this was not mandatory it was a clear indicator of what was likely to happen.

As always, it is the actions of a few that impact the majority.

Garry
FollowupID: 814673

Sponsored Links