HEMA 6 and HEMA 7, what is the difference?

Submitted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 17:01
ThreadID: 107561 Views:2788 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Have the option to get either at a good price, but what (besides the 6" and 7" screens) is the difference in them.
Is one loaded with better/extra software? Can the lessor be brought up the the greater (costs)??
User experience?

Thanks is anticipation
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 17:06

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 17:06
I have a 7" Garmin as well as the 6" Hema. It's worth noting that the 7" screen seems to take up a lot more windscreen space than the extra inch would indicate.

Other than that, I haven't looked at the differences, however, if someone confirms the 7 is brighter than the 6, that would be a good thing.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531586

Follow Up By: duck - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 20:20

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 20:20
I Have the hema 7 & i agree that extra 1inch does feel big & doe's block a lot of screen on the gu but is clear to see I've already moved mine as I felt it blocked too much screen
FollowupID: 814649

Follow Up By: duck - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 19:37

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 19:37
The led light on the power plug is far to bright & had to tape that up
FollowupID: 814737

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 19:47

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 19:47
Hi Bookleaf

I have not turned on the NH 7 yet but what I can tell you is that apart from the larger screen size, the HN 7 is pre pooled with the latest Camps 7 that includes images of the sites when used in the Street Mode, where as the HN 6 was only loaded with Camps 6.

One thing that does not come with the new HN 7 is the back up DVD that contains all the maps that are on the unit that came with the HN 6.

To some this may be an issue, but the set up of the new HN 7 adds these maps to your Windows based PC in the easy set up.

Either way you go, the Hema units are a reliable unit to use straight out of the box and ready to take you anywhere.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531601

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 20:43

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 20:43
Having upgraded from the 5" to the 6" Hema, I am wondering if the HN7 is maybe a little too big?
There has to be an impact to view obstruction through the windscreen eventually, if the Hema is mounted directly to the glass.

I experimented with a Sumsung Galaxy 10.1 which was mounted to the dash, rather than the windscreen and it still took up a bit of real estate.

I am happy with the HN6 for Australia wide travel but I don't use the iGo street navigation, preferring a separate TomTom device.
I can keep Oziexplorer running uninterrupted and use TomTom to navigate my way to a selected street or location within a city or town as I travel through it.
The 6" screen is big enough for my "old eyes" without being obtrusive and obstruct the view out of the windscreen. I also use a visor to reduce glare.
There may be a feature I wish to record a waypoint for at any time and if Ozi is shut down to run iGo street navigation, you can't achieve that.

The TomTom I have is a 5" device that sits in the bottom right corner of the windscreen, while the Hema is located in the bottom centre of the windscreen where the only view it "blocks" is a section of the bonnet behind it.

I will happily forgo the Camps 6 or 7 feature of iGo for the "Live" reporting of changing road conditions on TomTom. Obviously, this is not important in rural areas, but is handy in Metro areas.
I have a printed Camps 7 spiral bound book to refer to if I need to.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 531608

Reply By: Member - Bookleaf - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 23:00

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 23:00
Thanks for the replies.
One item I have come across that may be an issue is that I believe the 6 uses a stylus where the7 is all touch screen.
Is this so?. Is it a nuance to have to use a stylus, or is it optional and not really necessary?
AnswerID: 531613

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 23:06

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 23:06
Hi Bookleak

The screen on the HN 6 and 7 are the same. I only ever use my finger on the HN 6. The stylus on the HN6 is located on the side of the unit, where as the HN 7 stylus is quite long and you keep it in the carry pouch.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 814658

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 23:19

Thursday, May 01, 2014 at 23:19
Dont forget there nothing more than a chinese navigator running ozi ce and hema maps
If you buy every thing rather than get it off friends you can have the same thing for under $300
AnswerID: 531614

Sponsored Links