Exhaust upgrade for Mazda bt50

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2014 at 16:03
ThreadID: 107584 Views:12054 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guy,
My question has anyone upgraded their exhaust to 3 inch if so was it worth doing and what brand did you buy and the reason why eg cost,recommended,or other.
Another question are Snorkels worth it even if I do not intend to do water crossings.

ThanksJohn G10
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Regina M - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 18:07

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 18:07
Have u searched the Mazda forum?
And no, not worth it if you're not going to b doing water crossings.
AnswerID: 531687

Reply By: allein m - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 18:09

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 18:09
Hi I am no expert but a very good friend who has long gone but he was a good Diesel mechanic

I asked him about what to re maintenance with Diesel

he said simple things work best clean air ie Snorkels good oil and filter and fuel filters will keep most Diesel truck going for much longer

skip either and your truck will not last and may cost more in the long run

I have always kept to that idea

AnswerID: 531688

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, May 02, 2014 at 20:22

Friday, May 02, 2014 at 20:22
John G10

If you aren't going to cross water then from the hydraulic lock aspect you will never need a snorkel.
Since the air into the normal system comes from behind a headlight but the initial intake is behind that HL in the guard.

It can suck in dust from there if dust gets in there but usually it doesn't unless the air swirl brings dust well forward. Usually it goes to the rear as the vehicle moves forward.
Vehicle designers aren't silly.
Both normal and snorkel will take in dust if driven in dust.

People claim the air is cooler into a snorkel, but small children of guard intake height, seem to breathe air just as hot or cool as a grown up when standing outside.

Perhaps if you regularly check the aircleaner colour and contamination you can decide IF it will be better to have a snorkel.

Me too, no deep river no snorkel.
AnswerID: 531700

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 07:15

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 07:15
3 inch seems a big exhaust for a small motor. I installed a 2 1/2 inch on my 1HZ Troopy after much research . You do need some back pressure to assist your motor...Definitely improved the performance from standard and as I had the aftermarket turbo on for 6 months before the pipe upgrade, I did notice the car had more power. Not huge, but noticeable. Fuel economy stayed the same.
AnswerID: 531714

Reply By: Slow one - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 07:35

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 07:35
John,
If it is the 3.2 litre have a look HERE

I am always a bit dubious of dyno readings from exhaust and chip makers, so you will have to decide whether the outlay is worth it. Have a look at your standard system and the only restriction will be the cat and muffler.

As for a snorkel. Water crossings yes and dirt roads yes. If you look in your engine bay after running on dirt roads you will see all the dust, if you have use a snorkel you get cleaner air, sure it won't stop dust from passing traffic but you won't get that low down dust stirred up by the wheels and body.
AnswerID: 531715

Reply By: evaredy - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 12:31

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 12:31
I also agree that fitting a snorkel will help if driving along dirt roads, plus if you do happen to come across a water crossing it may make the difference.

I am not sure what the size of the exhaust pipe is on the BT50, but I believe the Dmax is 2 3/4" and have read that it is not the pipe that is the problem. It is the Cat Converter and Dump Pipe that is the restriction. I think there are limits with the amount of air for the turbo as well.

Others who no more maybe able to elaborate further.

Although I doubt it would really make much of a difference to the day to day running and fuel efficiency.
AnswerID: 531733

Reply By: phasar - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 21:58

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 21:58
G'day John

A proud owner of 2012 Mazda BT50 dual cab.

I have fitted a 2 3/4 inch mandrel bent exhaust purchased from Beaudesert Exhaust.
At the time (June 2012) these were the only people that catered for the BT 50.
I was very happy with the product and service.
As some one said you can't go too big, you need some back pressure.

The book rating as standard is 147Kw and 470 Nm.
After fitting exhaust dyno reading was 151KW and 492 Nm.
As a point of interest I then fitted a Steinbauer chip which increase to
168Kw and 543 Nm.

I have also fitted a Safari snorkel.
If you wanna get to heaven first you must raise a little hell
OMD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531778

Sponsored Links