Heads up, 2006 Jayco Sterling Suspension

Submitted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 07:47
ThreadID: 107591 Views:6462 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone with a Jayco Sterling, 2006 model and many other Jaycos around that date.

I caught up with a mate last Nov on the road he discovered he had a broken main leaf in the rear left spring. Luckily it was near Toowoomba QLD so replacement parts were available not to far away.

Just recently while on a 6000K trip to SA I had the same problem. Lucky for me I had one of the mates old springs along as a spare for that exact emergency. An hour and a half after discovering I had a problem I was back on the road and continuing my journey.
This leads me to suspect that the leaf spring suspension use by date is around about now for those models mentioned

The leaf springs as fitted standard, in my opinion are just adequate for the job on the 21 foot and 23 foot Jayco Sterlings and it may apply to many other models either side of the models I have quoted. Add a few extra items and the springs have a shortened lifespan.

When seeking replacements the mate took my advice and upgraded the replacement springs to the next level and, eventually, we replaced all four springs with the same ALKO replacement units as only 2 springs were available in Toowoomba.

AL-KO have only 2 outlets on the east coast we have been told.
One is in Victoria and the other is in Yatala, a Brisbane suburb.
Not sure if they deal direct with the public but a phone call will sort that out.

The replacement springs are listed as below

ALKO STOCK No 546207
Spring Tandem Rocker sets
7 Leaf 60 X 6 X 7 leaf
14 inch wheels NO U Bolts

This will increase your springs from a 6 leaf to a seven leaf setup and increase load capacity of the suspension to around 3 plus tonnes.
Note that this does not give you a legal right to overload your van above manufacturers GVM, just in case you were wondering.

Note also that they only sell them as a complete set for each side, that is 2 springs and associated parts..
They come complete with the centre Rocker Hanger, the rocker and pivot pin with grease nipple, shackle plates nuts and bolts, bushes already fitted to the springs etc and the fixed hanger at each end. In other words everything needed ready to weld onto a chassis.
Naturally the hangers will be discarded if you are replacing your springs.

Hope this is of some benefit to others.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 18:05

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 18:05
Thanks for that Bruce.
I have 25 foot Sterling with 6 leaf springs
Not long ago put it over the weighbridge – a bit overweight at 3 Tonne.
It’s done about 50,000 Ks on Bitumen and 2 or 3,000ks on rough gravel - no problem so far.
2 years ago I met a guy with a similar van to mine who broke a spring when he hit a pothole.
AnswerID: 531760

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 18:06

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 18:06
I should have mentioned that it was a 2007 model.
FollowupID: 814852

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 18:58

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 18:58
I have broken a spring in a pot hole also Dennis.

Happened on our previous van though, with nearly catastrophic results. Nearly caught fire due to the friction caused by the tyre rubbing on the underside of the guard.

I would not be surprised if the springs under your van are the same as the ones I have just removed from our Sterling.

The standard units on my van were 698 centre of eye to centre of eye
with an offset centre bolt 330 from one end with 6 leaves at 6mm thick and 60 wide.
If yours are the same Dennis I would recommend updating if possibile as they usually fail when you are in an isolated location, Murphy's Law..

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 814864

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 19:46

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 19:46
This isn't a problem peculiar to Jayco!
My brother's fifth wheeler broke off the entire swing arm from the Al-Ko torsion suspension assembly.

AnswerID: 531772

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 19:49

Saturday, May 03, 2014 at 19:49
If you think Al-Ko cared, you are wrong, they offered to rebuild it for $1600.00, but would NOT warranty it!

FollowupID: 814872

Sponsored Links