Let others drive their own car!!

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 11:53
ThreadID: 107611 Views:2827 Replies:12 FollowUps:45
This Thread has been Archived
This is not just restricted to touring, camping, caravanning and 4wd's etc, but it raises it's ugly head on many occasions.

I want to say something about some comments made by some today's "innocent" drivers that annoys.

Why is someone who passes you at maybe a bit over the speed limit classed as a ratbag, foolish speeder or hoon? You get comments like "he was parked just up the road" or "Look there's that fool who overtook us all stopped already". All that stuff.

I have passed many cars on all types of roads and tracks. Sometimes it meant going quite a way over the speed limit. But I always returned to under the limit. If possible and where appropriate, I will "go hard" when overtaking as I like to limit my "time on the wrong side of the road". But that said I wont swing back immediately on dirt.

My point is that, just because you pass them "stopped just up the road", that doesn't give US, yes me also, the right to condemn or label them. They may have a valid reason for driving faster than you, so leave them be thank you.

Drive your own car and leave others to their own pleasure or destiny. It's not up to us to judge others.

Phil

PS I am not talking about the obvious law breakers who don't care etc
Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Ozrover - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:23

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:23
Goodonya Phil,

There are way too many people who think that their own opinion is more valid than anyone else's.

Look after their own backyard before worrying about everyone else's

AnswerID: 531807

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:33

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:33
Totally agree. Sometimes I get up to 140 just overtaking! Why? Because my car is powerful and I can overtake very quickly. As soon as I overtake, and when safe, I back off to the speed limit. So what if I stop 2 klms up the road to answer a phone call or for some other reason?

As far as I am concerned..the less time spent on the wrong side of the road the better!!! Where and when I stop is my business.
FollowupID: 814914

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:43

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:43
Heading down Parramatta Road at 3AM on 4th May 1975 I was my lovely wife said "Why are you stopping at the lights". Seeing that I am not good as a midwife that was the lset light that I sopped at. 20 minutes from Kingswood, near St Marys, to Paddington?

That could be anyone.

Exactly.

Phil
FollowupID: 814916

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:45

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:45
What a mess. I got interrupted and didn't read what I typed. Yes I did do it as s afely as I could.

Phil
FollowupID: 814917

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:24

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:24
Phil I know I'm slow on the uptake - but I haven't got a clue on what you are trying to say.
FollowupID: 814927

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:35

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:35
No worries.

Earlier today I read a post else where talking about people overtaking "slow" vehicles and then the "slow" driver finds them stopped just down the road. Implying that he shouldn't have even overtaken and that they shouldn't drive fast and just slow down and "smell the roses". I am sure that you know what I mean..

This made me think of the times that people criticise, quite blatantly, anyone who travels faster than they do or speed at any level and mostly when overtaking a slow car at the head of a crowd being held up byt a "slow" driver. Then, instead of thinking that there may be a reason that they are going fast, they just "judge" them and refer to them as idiots, hoons and many variations on that theme. And in a lot of cases make a big deal of passing them parked 'up the road".

I am saying that not only could they be way off mark calling them that but they are doing judging them and have no right to do so. Judge another human being. They should just drive their own car and let the others look after their own life. Butt out and shut up.

That help you mate.

Phil
FollowupID: 814929

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:42

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:42
Phil,
In a court of law and you on the jury have to JUDGE another and if the issue was the the result of a person breaking the law, ie, speeding etc, are you then going to declare them "not guilty" because you don't want the same for you.

That would make the other 11 jurors very frustrated with you if they clearly see it was wrong and hold to their opinion. Odd man out.

SO, who decides the destiny?

If there is a valid reason for them to be going faster than the limit, they are usually associated with flashing coloured lights and sirens, the noisey sirens, not the beautiful ones.
AnswerID: 531808

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:56

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:56
Ross

I am sure you didn't mean that, "don't want the same for you". Don't know where that came from.

Also; In a court of law the jury finds the charge either proven or not proven. The jury does not judge. And even the judge does not technically "judge". He either finds the charge true etc and decides on the penalty.

I decide my own destine by going fast , slow or shooting you in the head. Not a jury nor a judge.

I decided to speed when taking my wife to hospital. Me! Not the bloke in a car I passed. And I would have gladly accepted any consequence. As it was we only just made it and are off to his birthday party this arvo.

Phil
FollowupID: 814920

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:47

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 12:47
Absolutely agree, I drive a naturally aspirated 1HZ Cruiser so I am usually the one getting overtaken but I often have cars do between 10-30kms over the speed limit to pass me and it makes perfect sense to me. Not only are they on the wrong side of the road for less time but they are also giving others behind them an opportunity to pass as well. As long as you drive to conditions and return to the speed limit afterwards I see no problem with it at all. Boo to the whingers!
AnswerID: 531810

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:01

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 13:01
Mate! Thanks for that. You post is exactly what I was hoping to get from the "other side of the coin".

Have an great day.

Phil
FollowupID: 814922

Reply By: bks - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 14:13

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 14:13
Phil,

I'm on your side!

This is my pet hate, the reason you often have to drive over the speed limit to pass other cars etc, is you have been following them for miles at some ridiculously slow speed eating dust and when you get to an over taking lane or straight stretch of road they then accelerate up to the speed limit. You often have to go pretty quick to get past them so you can continue the trip at the speed limit.

I have raised this before on this forum and been put down by others who seem to think it is acceptable to plod along disregarding the queue of traffic building up behind them.

Well done for raising this.
AnswerID: 531819

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 14:47

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 14:47
bks..... my pet hate too.
Can we include the ones that will fly up behind you, overtake you, then slow back down to the point that you have to take your cruise control off, overtake them and then reset it.
Then 15 minutes later, the same thing happens again....and again, and again. Appendage heads the lot of them.
Fab.
FollowupID: 814937

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:48

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:48
Maybe they are driving without cruise control.

For decades we did a lot of country driving and many times we were able to just sit with other cars. And we thought that we were travelling at the same speed. Then along comes cruise control.

I wonder if we were then going up and down without noticing it. Just like the bloke in your example but I must admit those cars back then didn't seem to race up behind us.

Maybe it's technology.

Avagudone

Phil
FollowupID: 814952

Follow Up By: bks - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:00

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:00
No they look at you as you start to go past them and plant the foot.

But I know what you mean, its very easy to be just cruising along in a line of traffic particularly on a freeway, then realise you and the whole line of traffic is over the speed limit.
FollowupID: 814955

Reply By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 14:43

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 14:43
The other "ratbag" act that I often do is overtake multiple cars at once.
Phil, there have been lots of times where I've been stuck behind a row of cars that are being held up by a truck doing 90 - 100 kmp/h. The cars may be under powered, towing or just not in any rush to get anywhere and I'm capable to overtake say 3 cars plus the truck safely. So I do. Then I have to listen to the cars beeping or flashing their lights as I go past them.
It's not illegal to overtake multiple vehicles in one foul swoop. The only technicality is that during the overtaking maneuver I exceed the speed limit for only the time that is required to complete my maneuver. But as everyone else has stated... the less time on the wrong side of the road, the better.
On the other hand, when driving the io fully loaded, I sit back and wait for the overtaking lanes and even then it's hit and miss if it has an uphill gradient.
Fab.
AnswerID: 531822

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:59

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:59
Too true mate. Too true.

What about those who do not, or don't want to, overtake and won't allow another vehicle room to merge if they are so "bold" as to overtake. They either drive inside the tailpipe of the car ahead or speed up as you appear to want to merge.

And if you do happen to succeed to "merge" they "judge" you and shake their heads from side to side because you had the gall to overtake THEM. Shock horror.

I will tell you this though, this forum helps by providing a a soapbox to blow off steam safely instead of on the road.

Phil
FollowupID: 814954

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:11

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:11
Phil....you've nailed it on both points. Travelling nose to tail like a line of furry caterpillars and the idea of venting on here rather than on the road.
This has been one of the most interesting posts for a while on here. So glad you had the goolies to start this knowing that the PC crowd lurk out there.
Fab.
FollowupID: 814992

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 22:02

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 22:02
Check the PM mate.

Phil
FollowupID: 815005

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 18:15

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 18:15
Got it thanks Phil.
Tried to reply but it says my work count is over 1000.
WORD says it's only 200 ish.
I'll try again later.
Cheers.
Fab.
FollowupID: 815081

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:24

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:24
All cool Fab. Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 815111

Reply By: The Landy - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 15:05

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 15:05
You can only ever drive the car you are in and it is best kept that way is my starting point (also). But it cut all ways...

Oddly, there are aspects you raise that I experienced on a recent trip.

On the way home with TVAN in tow, on the Great Western Highway to the west of Sydney, our experience was that despite travelling at, or close to the posted maximum speed limit, I had a few vehicles tail-gate for reasons that will only ever be clear to them.

I’m all for giving consideration to other road users and on this trip pulled to the side of the road on the tracks we drove to allow faster vehicles through – that makes good sense and is an etiquette I always follow.

But on highways were I am travelling at, or close to the posted maximum speed limit, the courtesy I look for in return is that other road users is drive at a safe distance behind me and moving up and passing only when safe to do so (and at any speed that suits them).

Adding, that some should follow your sound advice and concentrate on “driving their vehicle” in a safe way and with due consideration to other road users, rather than trying to drive my vehicle by trying to “shunt me along” at speeds beyond the posted maximum, or at speeds I am not willing to drive at taking into account the road considerations and my vehicle configuration…

As for people that can't wait to pass, and yet are pulled up a couple of kilometres down the road - well who knows for what reason they have stopped, but it does make you have a quiet chuckle to yourself...!
AnswerID: 531824

Follow Up By: bks - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 15:52

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 15:52
Landy,

My criticism is not directed at drivers like you. All I expect is drivers to travel at or near the speed limit. If you have a load on and that means you slow down going up hills, so be it, thats life. Its the drivers that seem to have think being overtaken is a threat to their masculinity, that I'm aiming at.
FollowupID: 814948

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 07:01

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 07:01
BKS

Here is the thing, there is no requirement to travel at or near to the posted speed limit, but only that you drive safely and with reference to your circumstances and prevailing conditions.

This is something that all should bear in mind.

Having said that, if you are travelling well below posted limits then give due consideration to other road users who may be impacted by your actions.

I work on the basis of treating others in a way that I would like to be treated, and that might by on the road, or anywhere doing anything for that matter.

But I can only control my actions so that is what I concentrate on and I don't allow myself to become stressed if someone is not acting in a way that I might prefer., especially on the road...

I find it makes for a far less stressful life...

Good luck out there and I appreciate your sentiments...
FollowupID: 815029

Reply By: Jackolux - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:12

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:12
I ride a 1300cc Bike , I just wish the Coppers would see things the same as you blokes about going 10-30 over the speed limit when overtaking .
AnswerID: 531827

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:09

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:09
It happens Jack. Just the luck of the draw sometimes mate.

We used to get pulled over all the time in our RED Kingswood. Amazingly it wasn't the same when we got it sprayed a midnight blue. Hmmmmm. My wife noticed the same. I'd hate to have a red bike then!!!

As I say you take risk and you pay the fine. Me too.

Cheers mate

Phil
FollowupID: 814956

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:16

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:16
Jacko .... I ride a 1584cc motorbike and get pulled over because of the brand of bike and the stereotypes that go with the brand. I feel your pain mate.
Fab.
FollowupID: 814993

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 10:30

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 10:30
Hahahaha.......Ive got a 1200cc and a 1340cc if ya know what I mean. Yep.....I know the feeling too!

Cheers
FollowupID: 815042

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 17:49

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 17:49
You're on the same page as me Hairy.
FollowupID: 815078

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:31

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:31
Don't suppose you Blokes are going to Alice next week on your Bikes ?
FollowupID: 815099

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:40

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:40
Na mate ......lived there most of my life and got out about 3 years ago.
FollowupID: 815103

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 22:31

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 22:31
Thought you might be a member of the Old Farts , Ulysses , the AGM is next week , thought I would go for a ride , then just keep heading North for a while ,
FollowupID: 815122

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 09:45

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 09:45
Not old enough!!! LOL
FollowupID: 815143

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 19:38

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 19:38
At 41 y.o. I'm a few years off that yet. Although I do plan on one day doing the Adelaide to Darwin trip on the scoot. The longest ride I've done to date has been Adelaide to Melbourne and back along the Great Ocean Road. Loved it.
However, I've become very attached to my new friend Dina (pictured). Not sure she'd be up to a road trip on the bike.
(Just to keep things on topic)..... I'll be using all 1584cc to overtake the traffic as quickly as possible and I'm sure I'll get more than my fair share of dirty looks.

Fab.
FollowupID: 815173

Reply By: Member - John G - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:27

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:27
G'day Phil

We can all choose to break the road laws. Most of us will assess the risk, but if we make the choice to speed when overtaking, then there may or may not be consequences.

In the scenario that you describe, one consequence is being pinged for speeding or dangerious driving, and as one respondent suggests, you have no defence if that happens. It's pretty much a black & white decision for the boys in blue.

The other issue that I see is the disproportionate increase in adverse consequences if something unforseen happens when the speed limit is exceeded during overtaking.

As for what others say - does it matter?

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 531828

Reply By: Tony H15 - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 18:01

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 18:01
Don't quote me, but I believe it is quite legal to exceed the speed limit when overtaking. I remember reading that somewhere a while back; however, there was a margin mentioned, I just can't remember what it was. No doubt the armchair experts will profess to know.
AnswerID: 531840

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 19:07

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 19:07
Sorry ,Tony you believe wrong .
FollowupID: 814965

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:02

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:02
Sat behind a truck sitting on 110kph for half an hour across the Hay Plain last year - got sick of looking at the back of the truck so I passed him - got booked by the local leo for doing 130 kph in a 110 zone ! Two minutes earlier or later I would have been fine - pardon the pun !

Happy and safe travelling

Gazz
FollowupID: 814970

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:20

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:20
It's a common mistake the speed limit is the speed limit, I speed up all the time to minimise the time on the other side as it's a risk that I manage and if I get nabbed then so be it.

The other one is going from say 100 to 80 people think there is leeway, there isn't, once your past the 80 sign you must be doing 80.

cheers
FollowupID: 814975

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:27

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:27
Over took a car travelling on the Calder Highway heading for Charlton, I was doing 120 km/h and the car I was overtaking was doing 94 km/h according to the booking officer (the highway there is 100 km/h limited). When I explained I was overtaking as quick and as safe as possible he said the law was the same here in Vic as S.A. and I could not exceed the limit of 100 km/h under any circumstances, he told me what the fine will be and how many demerit points I will loose. He did say I slowed down after passing the other vehicle, but either through luck or his change of heart I have not heard anything yet (2 years have past).
Cheers
Graham
FollowupID: 814977

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:43

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:43
You know some of them are actually human :)

Maybe he thought he'd exercise his discretion and wrote it down as a warning - good on him

It is good to hear the common sense outcomes for the motorist vs Police

cheers
FollowupID: 814986

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:55

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:55
Outback Gazz , Mate don't do that here in Vic they take your licence off ya at 125kph .

At 140kph you become a Hoon and they take your licence on the spot also your car , bike or what ever you are driving , impound it for 30 days . Towing and impound cost are very steep .

Hasn't happened to me and I will make sure it never will

Everyone goes on about the zero tolerance here in Vic , I guess I must of been just lucky plenty of times

I know I have been over the limit by 6-7kph plenty of times had a radar pointed at me and nothing happened .

Just a few weeks ago I had just come out of a 80 zone into a 110 overtook a 4x4 , looked in the mirror halfway past , Highway Patrol right behind me , bloody hell , to late now so just kept going pulled back into the left lane slowed back to about 112 .

Cop came up beside me had a bit of a look and kept going , my GPS said at some stage in that overtake I maxed at 122kph ( lucky )

This was on the Bike too , all of em on the bike

Speed cameras there a different story , they cant think , my licence is clean atm has been for a few years now . I like it that way
FollowupID: 815002

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 13:30

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 13:30
Sounds like Victoria has very good anti hoon laws, sooner the other states see the light the better.

Peter.
FollowupID: 815058

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 15:20

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 15:20
I think that they, the RTA authorities, do really know what we are talking about and that is why we are getting the "average sped" cameras. You can "build up" a buffer that then allows you to go over the speed limit for a short time like 20 seconds etc to overtake at 20 or 30 K over the limit. I saw the mathematics on it.

I just tried to work it out but the brain isn't working and I can't get the hang of it but it surely lets you go over a bit. Great for places like the Hay Plains where there are a lot of trucks travelling at 100 K and the limit is 110 for cars.

Phil
FollowupID: 815072

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 18:26

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 18:26
Ha ha, build up a buffer .... I don't think so!
Point to point cameras are primarily for trucks that are fully aware of the locations of fixed speed cameras.
You will still get booked if you get caught cashing in your "buffer".

FollowupID: 815082

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:53

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 21:53
Are you saying that there are other cameras located somewhere inside that zone?

I was led to believe that there are only the first and last ones.

Phil
FollowupID: 815116

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 09:39

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 09:39
You certainly can. If you travel slower than the speed limit for the greater majority of the zone then you can go faster briefly to overtake anywhere in that zone and still keep your overall average down. Of course without hitting the speed of light. You can't go open slather.

It is simple mathematics mate.

You didn't answer my last but still may and if there aren't any on the spot cameras IN the zone to catch you then it is mathematically possible to do it.

If you don't believe me then ask someone that you trust who has a basic inkling how "averages" work.

Phil.
FollowupID: 815142

Reply By: fisho64 - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:15

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:15
ahh-Phil, we've disagreed more than a couple of times in the past, then you post up something like this which is well thought out and totally practical.
Too many on here take the law as gospel-if its a law then it must of course be legally morally and simply the only right thing to do.

For me at my ripe old middle age now, I know the law can be an ass and tend to base these sort of decisions on the following criteria

1/ will it hurt me or anyone else
2/ will it unreasonably inconvenience anyone else
3/ will it cause me to lose any sleep
4/ is it morally wrong
5/ am I likely to get caught

Theres more than enough public servants employed to tell what you arent allowed to do and very few to tell you what you can do.

Its a decision for everyone to make for themselves unless they choose to be completely run over by bureaucrats.
AnswerID: 531863

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 22:26

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 22:26
Fisho!!

Exactly, and that is our right. To be able to disagree and talk about it. I am not a pacifist. I have had my fights behind the shed and out the back, and got kicked off the footy field more than once. After all I was a forward and that's what forwards do.

But I never failed to listen to the son's explanations (note the plural). That is before I sent him to his room. It is important that we get rid of our frustrations and complaints before we get like that Goofy did in the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde cartoon. A comical twit.

I will listen to the talk around the fire or on the forum but when someone makes judgement on others I can't help but think how narrow minded they are.

So I tell the bloke, shaving in the mirror, "don't worry about it". Enjoy the drive for what it is.

Have a good one mate and safe travelling.

Phil
FollowupID: 815012

Reply By: evaredy - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 13:41

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 13:41
The thing that I really do not understand and routinely criticize, is the idiots that NEED to be in front, no matter what.

If you are travelling at the max speed limit and are stuck behind a truck, van, etc, I see no need what so ever to overtake at a higher speed. I think it is just plain stupid, because you can't really go any faster anyway.

But I do agree with going above the limit when overtaking a slower moving vehicle, it to me is the safest option and as stated, reduces your time in no mans land.

I know there may be many reasons why someone would pull over just after passing you, but no matter who you are, you will always feel as though it was a waste of time passing you in the first place.

As far as the law is concerned, I believe that here in WA you are not allowed to travel less than 20k under the posted speed limit and it is an offence to intentionally hinder the flow of traffic.
But that could be easily argued in court I would assume, because you could argue that you were in fact driving to not only the conditions but also to your own abilities.
AnswerID: 531909

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 14:35

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 14:35
I agree with you mate but then again you may be wrong tagging then with word "NEED". What if it was as shown below. I don't NEED to be in front but I like to drive as I wish etc.

I may sometimes overtake in that situation, specially if we are coming up to a long steep hill or some windy section, like the great ocean road, where the ones in front won't be able to maintain a reasonable speed. I don't necessarily like just doing 50 KPH because the truck or overloaded car pulling a too heavy caravan can't keep up the pace.

I may also over take them because if we come across a slower vehicle maybe the truck or same caravan/trailer may not be able to overtake and we are thus stuck!

Just what Dad used to call driving the road ahead as well as the road that you can see.

Remember that when I learnt how to drive there weren't any multiple lane roads so these scenarios often arose. And they still do specially on corrugated roads where some poorly educated people get along at 40 or even just 20 KPH.

I drive to maintain my safe and comfortable speed within the current limits.

Phil
FollowupID: 815063

Follow Up By: evaredy - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 15:04

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 15:04
I understand and agree with the "need" to overtake in a situation such as hills etc where the leading vehicle may slow considerably.

I was talking about driving in areas where there is no need to overtake the lead vehicle, situations where there is no real gain achieved.

Some out there "Need" to be in front and these are the types I was alluding to. They do what ever they can to get in front and then proceed to plod along just in front of you.
FollowupID: 815070

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 15:23

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 15:23
Yes I do agree. And wasn't trying to at that you are wrong. Far from it.

I was just giving another scenario where even a tag of MUST lead can be wrongly used.

And then we have the others.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 815073

Follow Up By: disco driver - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 17:55

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 17:55
That bit about being 20k or more under the posted limit only applies to the freeways, no where else.

Disco.
FollowupID: 815080

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 22:18

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 22:18
I would say that they would still be able to charge you with something if you are a hazard to other road users. 20 K under or not.

Phil

FollowupID: 815120

Follow Up By: evaredy - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 09:20

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 09:20
Disco,

it looks as though you are correct, according to the Road Traffic Code 2000, it states on a freeway. I couldn't find it listed anywhere else.

FollowupID: 815137

Reply By: cookie1 - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:19

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:19
What timing

travelled from Adelaide to Whyalla today (about 400km) and had a couple of cars behind me in the work van, now I was on cruise control sat at 110KPH, had a couple pass me and that's fine, I do the speed I do for fuel economy and because it is the posted speed limit, the coppers are hot on that stretch too.

Get to the overtaking lane and I was overtaken, now the person caught up to me quite quickly, but then backed off sitting just in front and to the right, I had to then brake as we got to the merge section and sit on about 102 / 104 - slower than what I was cruising at. Eventually they sped up but thought that it was a bit rude, was it?

Later my heart started racing as I saw 4 sets of head lights on a single carriageway, slowed right down from 110 to 60KPH only to realise that someone had pulled off the road heading towards oncoming traffic, with their lights on.

I have no issue with being overtaken and will quite happily sit behind a semi as I know they are speed limited to 100 :) but must admit I do get a little frustrated when the road becomes clear ahead only to find someone behind in a faster vehicle pull out forcing me back in - yes I could push the point but no one wins in an accident.

Sometimes a little patience & courtesy makes your trip a whole lot more enjoyable, if someone needs to get there 5 minutes earlier then so be it.

cheers
AnswerID: 531933

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 19:46

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 19:46
G'Day Cookie,
I've traveled and travel that stretch many of times.Whyalla being my birth and home town for over 18 years.
The bit that always amazes me is that short stretch near Warnertown where the speed limit drops to 100kmp/h then to 80kmp/h. I find I'm the only person that does actually slow down.
Others are that lonely pub on the south side of the Adelaide to Melbourne road (Little Desert NP area). Does anyone slow down for that stretch?
I like your phrase...no one wins in an accident. So very true.

Fab.
FollowupID: 815175

Sponsored Links