Yokahama Geolander A/T or BFG mud terrain for onaddatta track

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:41
ThreadID: 107615 Views:2353 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

We plan to travel the Onnadatta track this July towing a tvan with a 100 series landcruiser. Plan to visit Marree, Dalhousie, mt dare, chambers piller, Alice springs, kings canyon, Uluru and home to melb on the black top.

I have done the onnadatta track before 6 years ago. I have Yokohamma Geolander a-/t in 275/65/17 as per factory. I have 285/70/17 BFG mud terrain. Not sure which tyres to run on a trip like this. I like the bfg muddy as what ever track conditions I have the best available traction. I have maxtraxx, rear air Locker and a winch to help.

Due to time on the highway I feel the original size geolander would be good for towing. Yet bfg MUDs good for dirt road yet larger size fuel economy suffers.

Any input would be great.

Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Regina M - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:59

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 16:59
I would suggest the standard tyres will be more than adequate with the additions you have, and if you drive to the conditions.

That's how I did it.
AnswerID: 531830

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:17

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 17:17
And lower your tyre pressures, 25 psi should do it

jeff
FollowupID: 814957

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 10:38

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 10:38
Agree. The only place that you are liable to have issues is on the track from Finke to Alice Springs along the old Ghan track. We didn't even see a spike once. Off the track yes there were some. But not on the track itself. But then again others have had them stuff the tyres. That may just be heresay also.

Our tyre pressures were 20 front and 25 rear.

But I wouldn't worry about the mud tyres. Use the ATs.

We just had ATs for the same drive plus a Simpson crossing. Mud tyres action is to allow the mud to be either slung off the tyre as it rotates or to let the muddy gooey muck flow out through the big gaps in the tread. On hard standing dirt and bitumen roads they actually have less "rubber on the road" and thus less traction. In mud; yes, muddies are better, but I can't see how they are better on gravel and sand.

Phil
FollowupID: 815043

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 10:45

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 10:45
I may be missleading you because I do know the geolander tyre.

If the Yokohama Geolander is "light truck" then use it. If not use the muddies.

Phil
FollowupID: 815044

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 19:54

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 19:54
IMO light truck construction is important on those roads where you're dropping your pressure. Look for a load rating of 100+. Not sure what your Yokis are; mine aren't LT.

AnswerID: 531852

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:14

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 20:14
You won't need the maxtrax, winch or airlockers.
A LT construction AT tyre would be the most commonly used out there but you have neither. I'd have more faith in the BFG muddies than the Yokohamas for this reason.
AnswerID: 531855

Follow Up By: Penchy - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 08:37

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 08:37
errrrr my KM2s are LT
FollowupID: 815034

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 23:14

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 23:14
Mick

I think the important factors in order are:

luck (the more experienced you are the luckier you get)

driving technique (picking the right line to avoid sharp stones and stakes, accelerate gently, don't drift around corners)

speed

load

pressure

brand of tyre

To keep load down I'd lose the winch. Travel at a sensible speed when off the bitumen. There is a massive difference between 80 kph and a 100 for tyre damage (thermal and puncture). As stated above, drop pressures to around 25, except on the back if you are heavily loaded, where they may bag too much. In which case, slow down some more.

Traction on your proposed trip is not a big concern. I'd favour the AT tyre.

Bob
AnswerID: 531877

Reply By: gbc - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 06:18

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 06:18
I'd confidently take the yokos. They are 115 rated. If you feel the need the muddies could go on, but the yokos are going to be the better tyre on road, and I'd say for most of that track they are going to be better as well. The stone throwers will be better if it rains, but then you shouldn't be there at all.
Current assumptions I think about fuel usage etc.
I rated my geolanders very highly on my last vehicle. Note they don't come out with lt stamped on them, but their rating and construction notes says they are the same as any other lt out there.
AnswerID: 531882

Reply By: Member - BUSH CAMPER - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 07:24

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 07:24
We did the same trip with an Elite 17' offroad van 2 years ago. We had Cooper ATR's and let pressure down to about 28 PSI and travelled between 60 - 80 kms ( to road conditions ). Don't think that you need muddies, if it gets wet just stop and wait for the road to dry out. Very expensive to drive on muddy roads if the road closed signs go up. Wouldn't waste my time with a winch, it just adds weight and on that trip there isn't much to winch to if you get stuck. just use common sense and take time to smell the roses.
At the time you are travelling there will be plenty of travellers on the road, and keep an eye on the weather patterns at the time.
have fun, Hugh
AnswerID: 531885

Reply By: TTTSA - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 08:49

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 08:49
I would use the more strongly constructed tyre. ie the km2. They are fine on bitumen, sand and everything else.

Cheers
AnswerID: 531890

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 17:01

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 17:01
Mick,
If you drive to the conditions as suggested most good quality tyres will be ok.

As said above drop pressures and speed. Check your tyre pressures when cold at the start and after an hours drive. If they have risen by more than 4 psi then they are either too soft or you are driving too fast for the pressure. Old rule of thumb that works well.

cheers
AnswerID: 531980

Reply By: mick78 - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 09:34

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 09:34
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you to those who have responded.

I have experience in outback roads. I have done the Simpson desert a few years ago. I always lower tyre pressure accordingly to road conditions. I have always had bf Goodrich mud terrains on all my cars. This car came with the near new geolanders.

I would normally say bfg MUDs. But this trip we have planned up the onadatta to Alice is the only dirt section of the trip. As kings canyon and Alice to melb is on the black top. Just though it may be a waste to burn up the muddys on the highway for most of the trip.

I was interested to see what other guys run. We are towing and traveling on our own. I hear after mt dare to chambers to Alice is the most remote. I have a sat phone. A spare for car am trailer. All tyres interchangeable. A third carcass on the roof.

The down falls with the geolanders are strength. Ground clearance as they are 275/65/17. At tread if weather turns. Then again roads close down anyhow. The smaller tyre would be better for gearing/towing.

Bfg muddy. 285/70/17. No negatives except using a muddy on the highway is a shame. Maybe the size is a advantage as the car is higher.

ATM I am thinking of bfg muddys.

Thank again guys for the feed back
AnswerID: 532487

Reply By: BunderDog - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 17:48

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 17:48
Geeeee.............did most of those tracks back in the early 60's with my Dad in a Peugeot 403, two wheel drive with skinny little Michelin tyres. 155 x 15 if I recall. Never even looked like getting stuck.
AnswerID: 532509

Sponsored Links