Maralinga Updates

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 18:53
ThreadID: 107620 Views:3198 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi Everyone

For those that are planning a Desert Adventure this year and have not decided on where to go, then have you thought about visiting Maralinga and the surrounding areas? Weather you are travelling solo, or in a group, Robin can cater for all your needs and see an area that has been closed to the general public for decades.

I was speaking with Robin this morning and the tourists are now arriving at a steady pace. The area has had a lot of rain in the last month or so and the Wildflowers are out in full force. Robin was telling me that there are patches of Sturt Desert Pea in flower around Watson and Ooldea while out in the Forward Area and further out on the range, the Wildflowers are stretching as far as the eye can see.

Contact Robin direct on (08) 8670 4089 or email : robin.matthews@y7mail.com

Mention that you have seen the details here on ExplorOz and Robin will take care of all your Permits and even organise your visit on the Emu Road, that for many years has been impossible to get permits to travel on.

There is no time like now to visit Maralinga and the surrounding area.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:10

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:10
Hi Stephen

Thanks for your prior assistance in making arrangements to visit Maralinga, and we will be meeting with Robin in late June to do a tour before heading up the Emu Road and the Anne Beadell to Laverton.

Robin has been very helpful and informative and offered every assistance...

Just counting down the weeks...

Cheers, Baz

AnswerID: 531861

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:58

Sunday, May 04, 2014 at 21:58
Hi Baz

You will have a great time and see some great country, and what Robin does not know in the area is not worth knowing at all. With the rain that they have had up there, the Wildflowers should still be in bloom.

Once on the Anne Beadell, take your time, and you will be in for another great drive through to Laverton.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815003

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 05:12

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 05:12
You brought my trip last year back to the front of my memories. One of the best experiences ever. Thanks for highlighting this last year.

Robin is a lovely guy and perfectly suited as the tour guide. It was a great experience and I'll be back for longer visit taking in Emu.

Interestingly, my 10yo talked about the trip at school as part of discussing what the kids did in their holidays. His teacher who is old enough to know a little about Maralinga, simply didn't believe that my son went there and though he must have mixed it up with some other place. Next day the photos went to school to prove it.

A very unique, very interesting place.

AnswerID: 531881

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 06:38

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 06:38
A similar experience with our son TomO and his teachers, they can't believe where he has been and what he has done...

Cheer
FollowupID: 815026

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 08:03

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 08:03
Hi Boobook

I feel it is the job of people like ourselves to promote just how unique a visit to Maralinga can be. As you and others would be aware, no single one visit to Maralinga can do the area justice, as there is just too much to see and.

It has been as long hard road for Robin to get the area opened up to tourists, and most people would not be aware of only a couple of people that tried to stop this venture in its tracks.

With the backing of both Aboriginal Elders, State and Federal Governments, it is now up to all travellers to give Robin a plug and to show those few people that tried to stop this enterprise that it should always remain open for all generations to see and hear what has been kept secret for far too long.

Now you know why we go back to Maralinga, promote the area and class Robin as a true friend who is always welcome to stay at our house, and not just another tourist operator that is only interested in making money from a job that he is not passionate about.

Its great that you really enjoyed your trip to Maralinga and pass on your thoughts to all your friends.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815032

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:05

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:05
I can thoroughly endorse Stephen's and others comments. We were there just before Easter and had a great time. Robin really knows his stuff and i believe that it is a must do destination. Unfortunately for us, we didn't get the wild flower display but that will be special for next time. If only we could get Robin to reveal the location of those Harley's LOL
AnswerID: 531931

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:29

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:29
Hi Des

Great to hear that you really enjoyed your Maralinga trip. Are you going to do a blog?

Robin is such a special guys and his wealth of information is unquestionable.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815097

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:27

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:27
Hi, Hope this offer is still standing next year as we will be travelling out that way about july august 2015 and would love to visit .
Cheers Judy and Laurie
AnswerID: 531934

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:33

Monday, May 05, 2014 at 20:33
Hi Judy and Laurie

I know Robin as a friend and he would always go out of his way to help you out.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815100

Reply By: Jackolux - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 13:10

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 13:10
I would love to visit Maralinga , will have to be next year now as we have already made plans for this year , if it wasn't for the others that are counting on me would I cancel all plans and contact Robin .

I was lucky enough to travel the length of the Ann Beadell and visit the Bomb sites at Emu with both Len and Ann Beadell , that was a good few years ago now but of coarse Maralinga was out of bounds back then . The stories Len would tell around the camp fire at night were fantastic

Where do Robins tours start from are they only a day tour or is it possible to camp . Im into photography and Im sure I could spend days just taking photos , what is the distance travelled any other info would be appreciated

Regards Jacko

AnswerID: 531964

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 13:14

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 13:14
I have just found that " Related Article " link above , probably most of the info I want is in there but I would still like to hear more info from someone who has been there , if you can be bothered

Thanks Jacko
FollowupID: 815154

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 14:41

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 14:41
Hi Jacko

Robins tours are for the actual test sites, plus other point of interest in the area, eg Daisey Bates camp, Ooldea Soak, Watson Quarry and of course everything that Robin can show you in the Forward Area and beyond.

As a bare minimum, 2 - 3 days for the above, then there are lots of other things to see in the area. You will be based out of the old Maralinga Village and Robins takes you out from there. The Village has all facilities, from camping through to onsite donga's. There are a number of varied ways to get to Maralinga, depending on which way you are travelling.

As you have read above from those that have visited Maralinga, it is one place that you will go back to.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815159

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 16:17

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 16:17
Thanks very much for that info , its a must do that's for sure .

I would change this years trip to Cape York to in a flash if I could
but the others would crack a sad

Regards Jacko
FollowupID: 815167

Sponsored Links