ford ranger 4x4 XL Plus

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 17:55
ThreadID: 107643 Views:3984 Replies:2 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I just found this link to a new ford ranger with some extra beefed up extras for the mining and people who want to put bull bars and extra lights

ford

so what is your opinion I know several members have ford rangers but this is a diferent brand new spec one
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 19:55

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 19:55
all-terrain tyres, heavy-duty canvas seat covers, and beefed-up electrics to handle add-ons like a light bar, radio, and driving lights.

The model also comes with daytime running lights, running boards (dual-cab models only), moulded black bumpers and a second (80ah) deep-cycle battery with isolator.

At a maximum $1500 additional value, possibly $2000, how much is it over the equivalent Ranger without the gear.
I like the term beefed up electrics. Love to know what that actually means.

Most people who have one already connect lights and a radio, do they mean HF?, It would seem the 80AH of beef is to run such a radio.

Look closely at the value and what you get, it may be a sales gimmick!
AnswerID: 531991

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 09:19

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 09:19
I would say the beefed up wiring would be relating to better corrosion resistance and added factory wires located at the right areas for rotation lights, work lights and radio/comms devices.

It would be a more plug and play type loom.

The 80a/h aux battery may be for a fridge but I would say it is more then likely for a second isolated start battery just in case the main battery dies.

There would be another 100 small things they would also do to make it more mine spec.
FollowupID: 815222

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:59

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:59
It's probably the same wiring harness they fit for the Police pack. Which has an auxiliary wiring harness to power emergency lights, Police radio and computer.

The cops seem to prefer these and other dual cab utes these days over the Falcon utes with the prisoner module on the back because they can carry 4 coppers in full rig AND still have somewhere safe to shove the crims when the job is done.
FollowupID: 815241

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 17:33

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 17:33
The decision to go to dual cab utes was made because of weight limitations and more recently the discontinuation of the Falcon and Commodore utes.

Most departments are going to cab chassis modules now so the can use them for many years to come on many models.
FollowupID: 815246

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 05:44

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 05:44
Looks about right for the money. About $9k over the xl for dual batteries, rear locker, tow bar, up rated suspension, bigger rubber and some toys ( those seat covers are $700). The big thing is they have dumbed down the canbus system to take accessories. I'd lay money the smart alternator has been killed off here as well.
Just googled up the tyre size and with the 50mm allowance we only just miss out on being able to run 285 75 16 legally on common rangers. Anyone run 275 75 16? They would be right, just not too common. There isn't much else in the commercial/mining sector that is going to give it a run for its money at $50k.
AnswerID: 532018

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 09:45

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 09:45
If you reverse engineer it, it's an xlt without carpet, cooler, climate control and other useless crap, and all the stuff you really want in a tourer for less money. Man, I should sell cars :)
FollowupID: 815227

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:18

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:18
I don't think they would of dumbed down the canbus, the canbus would not affect anything they want to fit.

Canbus is not as scary or accessory upgrade limiting as some may think.

The smart alternator setting is only software driven that can be enabled/disabled by the dealer.

FollowupID: 815237

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:55

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:55
Or left out of the car in the case of mazdas. Mine still drives around with the bms fuse in the glovebox due to fords inability to master their own software on 4 occasions now.
FollowupID: 815240

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 17:29

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 17:29
Mazda uses a dumbed down battery charging system, what you will find is Mazda BT50 doesn't have the full smart charging system not because of function or technology but cost..... Mazda doesn't want to pay for the licencing fees for the technology...... one of many reasons the Mazda are cheaper..... the fee many be $600 per vehicle.

We did some software changes for a special application we had on Holden Commodores, it had to be done in the USA.... the physical cost of rewriting the software per vehicle was a about $200 but the licensing fee was $700 per vehicle.

The physical hardware used is very cheap, where these companies like Bosch, Denso, Delphi and others make their money is the licensing fees charged to the vehicle manufacture to use their concepts and technology.

85% of Apples Iphone cost is made up of licencing fees and not hardware.

Don't know if it's Fords inability to master their own software or the dealerships technicians....... myself and many others have had it turned off by Ford.
FollowupID: 815244

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 18:19

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 18:19
olcoolone facinating thank you
FollowupID: 815250

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 18:29

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 18:29
gbc,
my smart charge was disabled by a small country dealer not long after the software was released. Tis your dealers that are the problem.
FollowupID: 815252

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 19:13

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 19:13
No, the canbus is apparently 'confused' by the accessories attached to the vehicle. They can pull out the section of code, run the new code over it, then when they try to put it back my ute refuses to take it. I know it should be a simple job but my cabbage patch kid just likes to be different.

Mazda simply omitted the battery management module. The plugs are there, just no module. Bloody smart move in hindsight ;)
FollowupID: 815260

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 09:26

Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 09:26
QUOTE"No, the canbus is apparently 'confused' by the accessories attached to the vehicle"

This sounds like a dealer cop out....... dealers are quick to point the finger and most times what they are pointing to isn't the cause, we had a problem with our ranger cutting out every now and again...... they said it was caused by the ARB bull bar. Ended up being a faulty crank angle sensor.

If your Ranger doesn't accept the change there is something wrong somewhere and I would say it's the dealership tech or their computer...... ask them the elevate the problem and get a Ford trouble shooter to look at it next time he's in town.

I would be getting to the bottom of the problem whilst it's still under warranty as you may need a reflash/update done on it later in life.

The only way a canbus can be confused is if someone has interfered with the canbus.... canbus either work or doesn't work.

I would remove all the accessory wiring and then try it, if there is a problem with the canbus chances are it is upsetting something else.
FollowupID: 815294

Sponsored Links