Touring tyres

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 at 21:24
ThreadID: 107648 Views:1951 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Guys,

What is every one finding as the best touring tyre, to tour requires a lot of k's road / dirt.
Mud/ sand and rocks .

I have hade 3 sets of cooper stt 's and found them great.

Low noise
Great in all conditions

Just not over keen on the side wall look on modern trucks.

X1 set of simexs

Great in the mud , that's it.

X1 set of bfg all terrains

Can't really remember haha.

Thinking next set , cooper st maxx

Thoughts!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 00:55

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 00:55
for what it's worth - 22yrs with LWB Maverick and 10R 15 B/Stone RD604.......they worked ok and we travelled all over the place. also had them on a trailer we towed - cheap trailer tyres as they just got handed down from the Maverick. Fitted ST Maxx to new DMax last year and after 38K Kms they are working ok - noisier than the RDs but have been rotating them so not too bad. Work 4WDs had Wranglers (supplied by contract) and they too worked ok. I think the trick to getting a decent rate of wear is to vary the pressures when necessary and rotate every 10K Kms. rgds
Slow down and relax......

Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532016

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 07:51

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 07:51
We have gone with ST-Maxx as best all round tyre because its probably the toughest which is what one needs when a long way from home in the rough.

Its not as open to let in sticks and still has both mud and sand capability.

If however I was touring on just dirt roads without the hard stuff then it would be (and is , as have 5 tyre/wheels sets) BFG AT - our most dangerous road condition out there is rolling over on fast dirt roads and this BFG maximizes the size of stones that it can cope with via its even blocks which about as much space in between blocks for stones to enter without rolling on rubber blocks.

I note overseas there is a new BFG AT type with same outside structure and st-maxx type center - look ok but to early for reports.
Robin Miller

Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532028

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 09:11

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 09:11
Agree, we run ST Maxx's on our 200 series and they are a fantastic tyre, they are aggressive enough for mud and clay and are fantastic on the bitumen offering good handling in the wet and dry plus they are quiet.

Would I go to a real mud tyre in the future...... NO, would I buy these tyres again....... YES.

Too many people buy tyres based on 2% of their driving leaving the other 98% of their driving time using a under performing tyre......




0
FollowupID: 815220

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 08:02

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 08:02
Ken

I have also had a brilliant run with the Cooper STTs. Just back from a trip from Echuca to Rudall River and back with plenty of off road (AS, Yuendumu, Nyrrippi, Kiwirrkurra, Telfer, Rud River, Kalgoorlie, Trans Track, then bitumen home), towing a trailer. Not a single puncture in the Coopers, while the other vehicles had a few each. Sadly, a brand new STT spare on an OEM rim snapped off the front of the trailer during some rough creek crossings in Rudall River NP in heavy scrub, never to be seen again.

So keep an eye out for a brand spanking STT spare somewhere in the bush at Rudall River!

Stick with what works for you.

Bob
AnswerID: 532029

Reply By: Peter T9 - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:08

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 16:08
I have got Maxxis 751 Bravos on my 100 series and reckon they are a bit soft and having a hard time on gravel. Don't think I would buy another set.

Probably will fit Bridgestone D697's next time having used them on a different vehicle with excellent results.

AnswerID: 532050

Reply By: Kyle H - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 17:41

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 17:41
I have recently fitted Mickey T Baja ATZ P3s on the 200 and I am very happy with them. Very quiet compared to my previous tires Mickey T Baja ATZ 4Rib which I got 90000k from and prior to that Cooper ATZ ST which I got good mileage and service from but were noisier than current tyres and chipped particularly after going across the Stoney Desert.
AnswerID: 532059

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)