Travel to Cape York towing a 15ft van

Submitted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 13:46
ThreadID: 107654 Views:2469 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading out to travel to the top of the Peninsular towing our 15ft caravan. We are wildly travelled and have done plenty of dirt roads of varying degrees. Any information would be very helpful

Thank you

Mimted
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bludge - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 15:55

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 15:55
Just travelling the Deveopment Road? - As long as its dry no issues
What time of the year? - June to August is the best (Easiest) time.
Off road Caravan? - Easier to get to some places if it is.
Any intended stop off along the way? - Day visits or passing through.
What you driving? - Big small 4WD or SUV
Want to travel the OTT? - There are some iconic venues or crossing if you are a 4WD'er.
Fishing, sight seeing, a bit of history - what sort of thing are you after?
Family or just the two of you?

AnswerID: 532049

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 20:18

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 20:18
Hi Mimted

We did the Cape with a caravan about the same size - most of the Telegraph Track will be off limits while towing. At least it was for us, as I'm not really into damaging stuff. But that doesn't mean that you cant unhook the van and have a look. Places we appreciated were:

1. Bloomfield Track
2. Endeavour Falls Camping Ground
3. Weipa
4. Coen (try to stay at The Bend just a little north of town)
5. Stayed at Loyalty Beach
6. Trip to TI (not with the van!)
7. Twin Falls - part of the OTT - but doable if you take your time
8. Archer River - still dream about the Archer Burger.

Seems like you've done some travel - so keep the speed down, watch for the bull dust holes on the PDR and you'll have a great time.

You'll need quite a good off road van - also saw lots of abandoned trailers on the way!

Chris

AnswerID: 532071

Reply By: Member - Hugh D (WA) - Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 13:48

Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 13:48
Heading to the Cape early May. All I have read indicates take it slowly, drive to the conditions and enjoy the trip. All appears to depend on how much time you have as to what you get to see. Some areas not van/trailer friendly but again best advise has been to ask the locals or rangers.
Enjoy.
Hugh Dorey

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532103

Reply By: Tony F8 - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 07:01

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 07:01
You will have no problems towing the van to Bamaga or Seisia with yuor experience. Personally I would travel Cooktown, head out on the Endeavor Falls road towards Hopevale, turn left onto Battlecamp and wind your way through Lakefield to end up at Musgrave Roadhouse (Telegraph Station).
This is a nice days run with plenty of scenery, Normanby River, Isabela falls, old Laura and Hann crossing, the crossings at Normanby, Isabella and Hann are easily done, even with water over them. From Musgrave, head north on the southern bypass and the Cape's your oyster.
If your van is set up to handle the notorius stretches of corrogations, you will have the time of your life.
The Cook shire and Injunoo councils are now continually grading roads, so at times it can be reasonbly smooth and safe to drive at up to 80 kph, the road crews generally taking a break during the busiest times, (shool holidays) basiclly as a safety precaution as it seems in the busiest times you get the worst, most ignorant drivers.
Drive safe.
TonyF8.
AnswerID: 532136

Sponsored Links