Transcool 12v Evaporative Cooler

Submitted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 14:06
ThreadID: 107655 Views:2576 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I see this topic was archived last year with no response from anyone who had used one of these. I had a demo at this years Melbourne caravan show. It was a hot day, even for a Queenslander. I know from experince that these type of coolers are hopeless in the tropics but as they also have a fan only function i was curious if anyone has used one and can give some idea of it's effectiveness. They are extreemly light and compact and may be worth a shot as we often find ourselves in hot areas with varying humidity levels.
Cheers. Terry.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 15:02

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 at 15:02
I have had one for a few years now and love it

I have been on the road 'full time' now for 4 years mostly above the tropic of Capricorn.

Yes the effectiveness drops off as the humidity increases but I have found that other than the actual "wet" and the month or two preceding "the wet" the unit works well

As the cooling effect of evaporative systems relies on evaporating moisture from the wet filter pad, they work best in hot, dry conditions, and aren’t well suited to humid conditions. Up North is often hot and dry with low humidity for a lot of the 'usual' travelling months

I haven't hooked it up to the external water supply but am seriously considering it as you can go through a bit of water in really hot/dry conditions if you run it at full speed

Attached is a link to my SPOT tracking page (which shows where I have been)

KiwiAngler's SPOT tracking page link

AnswerID: 532047

Reply By: LJME & LMG - Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 23:02

Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 23:02
We have had a Transcool for a couple of years. If the conditions are hot and dry, it works well as a personal cooler. It does not really cool the camper interior - the flow of air needs to be directed over your person for the best effect. It provides lovely cool air while you have a rest or are trying to sleep, with very little power draw.

If you just want a good fan that you can mount on a wall or hanging bracket, the 12v Caframo 807 Sirocco fan is pricey, but works very well - it has three speeds and a timer.

Cheers MG
AnswerID: 532131

Follow Up By: Member - iijmartin - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 06:47

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 06:47
I have just installed a second Caframo Sirocco fan over bed. Currently in Qld in 35 deg weather they are fantastic. Leave on all night. I bought my last one for $149 landed which I don't regard as pricey for a quality product resulting in a comfortable nights sleep
FollowupID: 815334

Reply By: teribul - Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 19:04

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 19:04
Sorry for the slow reply everyone, called away unexpectedly. Thanks for your input. Tough decision but the humidity is the big thing for our next couple of trips. I guess we'll check out the Brisbane Caravan show in case something new has arrived in the last couple of months, otherwise it might be the fans. Thanks for your help. Cheers. Terry
AnswerID: 533159

Sponsored Links