1986 Drifter Cub - 3way fridge help

Submitted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 17:57
ThreadID: 107674 Views:2302 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello - new here and just got ourselves an 86 well looked after drifter pop top camper, I want to remove the fridge to connect battery power etc behind the fridge and give a good clean etc but i can't seem to see where any screws holding in the fridge, does anyone know and help with this please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 18:45

Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 18:45
Try opening the door as wide as possible and look along the sides.
The screws may well be hidden with the door closed.
That's how my 2way is held in.

Good luck with it.

Disco.
AnswerID: 532117

Follow Up By: paul p11 - Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 18:50

Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 18:50
great thanks for that I will check in the morning
FollowupID: 815315

Reply By: Tony H15 - Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 19:10

Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 19:10
I rebuilt one of these about six years ago: new chassis, kitchen, seats, cushions beds, mattresses, canvas, bed base, and so on. Anyway, if yours is the same as mine the fridge has angle iron brackets screwed to the left and right side of the fridge at floor level which are then screwed to the floor. The left side brackets are easy to remove but you will have to remove the wooden panel on the right side of the fridge to gain access to the brackets If you move the fridge out you will also have to disconnect the gas line. From memory I think you can access the wiring via the panel on the right side and the external vent. There is also a panel on the left side toward the rear of the fridge which also gives access. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 532121

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 20:03

Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 20:03
Paul,

Don't want to be a doomsdayer mate, but you would be wasting your time if your intention is to attempt to run the fridge off a 12v battery, unless the circuit is connected to the vehicle and with the engine running most of the time.

These three way fridges are notoriously power hungry and will suck all the power from a battery in a short period of time, probably damaging the battery in the process.

The 12v setting should only be used while traveling and with the vehicle generator supporting the (main) battery drain.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532122

Follow Up By: paul p11 - Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 23:03

Thursday, May 08, 2014 at 23:03
thanks Bill - no I don't want to run the fridge on its own from battery but I do want to see where the 12v lead goes as I can't seem to find any input/output for it. I would like to run a battery off the car battery when traveling to charge and from that to the fridge to keep it cool on the road then switch to gas once stationary. thanks again for the advice
FollowupID: 815327

Sponsored Links