tracks-Two Rocks, Lancelin range , WA.

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2014 at 09:47
ThreadID: 107682 Views:1905 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I'm a little out of date with doing any actual 4wd- went for a spin with new 4by ( Navara) last week and found the track(s) from Lancelin dunes to Wedge Island USED TO to be ok go thru the military range. now permanently closed. I imagine this has been for a while now. can turnaround, try beach- or go north to main road and back as a detour. took track north -a bit overgrown, goes for about 7k and has many quite rough limestone areas (as do a lot of tracks in this area.)
I am sure the 'authorities' will try and close more of this up as camping was banned in area up to wedge isl not long ago and lots of pressure now on getting the shacks out as well .I believe recent public meetings managed to keep the Two Rocks tracks open.
MG.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:08

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 15:08
My understanding is that the Lancelin/Wedge Island tracks were permanently closed once the Indian Ocean Drive was opened for traffic.

Disco.
AnswerID: 532162

Follow Up By: Member - mike g2 - Friday, May 09, 2014 at 17:26

Friday, May 09, 2014 at 17:26
Hi disco, your probably right, I knew that new road was open, I somehow missed the info on the tracks.
MG.
FollowupID: 815370

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 00:24

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 00:24
for what it's worth Defence has been advertising for past month that the range is closed due to live firing exercises during May. you can still go via the beach when the flags are down. as for the shacks - there are a few years to go before they are req'd to go.....if it occurs at all. with the bitumen arriving the main problem now iare the morons who have "discovered" Wedge and drop in and expect fuel and coffee.......morons. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532238

Follow Up By: Member - mike g2 - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 09:54

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 09:54
Thanks maverick, I knew range closed up ( advertised as well) for firing practices. I saw planes doing prac runs that day and red flags were up. a guy at the boundary x over in an official vehicle ( ? contractor) told me its now permanently closed. fencing also , bunds built up over former entry point and signs changed. I haven't been out that way or doing any 4by driving for quite a long time as haven't had a 4x4 to play with for about 2 yrs! also haven't kept in touch with the range notices ( should!) in paper. my recollection of the beach in parts of that area is that its a bit tight in some places , soft and sloped, so didn't go that way around. have seen many a vehicle in trouble on beaches and helped a few of them. doing a course greatly changed my perspective and I am conservative. agree with "new arrivals" to wedge, was it them who caused the trouble ( in the news) there recently ( bashing/fight on beach) ?
thanks anyhow.
MG.
FollowupID: 815466

Sponsored Links