Darling River Run

Submitted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1077 Views:1635 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday all, I'm based in Brizzy and am planning a trip to Ballarat in September. The trek down the west bank of the Darling River looked like a good thing. Has anyone done the trip recently, or perhaps could give me an idea on availability of fire wood, fuel or history of the area.

Kinchega, Mungo and either Hattah Kulkyne or the Pink Lakes look to be our other stops, or one or two of them at least.. We are a bit restricted in time as we'll only have two and a half weeks to do the whole trip and must spend three days in Ballarat for a sixtyth anniversary. I am anxious not to visit a Park and not give it the time it deserves, and stuff it for the next visit! Any advice from more travelled folk than I is more than welcome.

Cracka
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00
Haven't done all this one but most of it, reckon west darling is a no dramas and an easy trip , Kinchega , well don't get too worked up about it, its a big area of water and a few tit bits ... Mungo ... stay outside the park, as the mid point camping area is remote , and spend time looking at what Aus used to be !
If you run out of time you won't miss much by catching up !!

steve
AnswerID: 3336

Reply By: waynepd - Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 04, 2002 at 00:00
Gday Cracka,
In this month's Overlander Mag there is an article about the Darling River run. They are travelling South to North though from Menindee to Bourke and they seem to be using the eastern bank up through Louth.

There are a number of farm stay accomodation places. According to this article, the owners are people that have several generations of occupation and are happy to tell you the history of the areas you are passing through.

I am planning to do this run myself next year, good luck and i hope this helps you out
cheers
waynepd
AnswerID: 3341

Reply By: Mike - Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 05, 2002 at 00:00
Cracka, despite the previous posts, WE thoought Kingega and the menindee area beautiful. It's a shame they rebuilt the fantastic old pub the way they did though, as we thought it's character has been completely destroyed. The main bar just looks like the inside of any country footy club, but without the trophies. Lovely bush campsites by the beautiful Darling River. At Mungo, we stayed at the old shearers quarters and though It rained leke hell and the ring road was closed, saw eneough to whet our appetites for another trip there. You will have plenty of time to do at least these 2 and do them credit. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 3349

Reply By: michelle - Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00
visit hattah on the murray river, great park, sand beaches, great fishing, and very clean and good supply of fire wood lying around on the ground. we were there about 3 weeks ago good acess from the main road, maps can be purchased at the servo in hattah south of mildura onthe calder hwy. you can camp right on the river which is very clean and safe. happy camping hope this helps the bird life is great. you can also launch a boat too.
AnswerID: 3397

Sponsored Links