handheld radio vehicle mount

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 01:45
ThreadID: 107701 Views:1771 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey everyone.

Im looking for a solution to mounting a UHF handheld radio in a vehicle, somewhere on the dash, similar to how you would a mobile phone.

Anyone done anything similar?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 07:48

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 07:48
We have 3 mobile phone mounts across our dash which hold radios , all of them are modified phone mounts.

They are positioned such that the antenna just sees the outside via line of sight so that you don't loose to much UHF signal.

The mounts are all mounted using layers of double sided tape. Sometimes you need 2 or 3 layers to cope with curved dash. It was important to to make the tape follow the curved line otherwise it falls off with heat.

On 1 or 2 we also built up the back of mobile phone mount with bit of carved wood to assist with following the curve.

For one of the radios we needed better performance and for it we have a seperate mic so the radio doesn't have to be moved and also a magnetic 1/4 whip for car roof.
This aerial has very thin coax cable only 2mm thick so it can be laid inside the door trim and not be obvious.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532203

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 20:14

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 20:14
Hi None.
Mine sits in the 12 volt charger vecroed tight. Also wired to the bullbar arial and carry another that i swap to keep them charged.

Cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 532415

Reply By: none_obviously - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 00:47

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 00:47
Thanks guys.

I'm looking at the GME 6150, which comes with a speaker mic and a car charging cable.

The radio itself can sit in a little alcove in the centre console next to the 12V plug, i just need something i can clip the speaker mic onto that will sit on the front facia of the dash.

There is a magnetic antenna that GME make, will get one of those and connect it to the handheld.
AnswerID: 532478

Sponsored Links