New member and a few questions

Submitted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 16:42
ThreadID: 107724 Views:2067 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just joined today, I find this whole site to be extremely informative and very interesting, a great travelers guide!

I am from Whyalla, SA and in October last year my husband and I purchased a brand new Ford PX Ranger, seven months on and we have nearly clocked over 22,500kms and that's just traveling around this state! We have only in the last few years developed a taste for camping and we are slowly building up our resources including a dual battery system, electric fridge/freezer etc...... We currently camp out in a tent, but are saving money for an off road camper trailer.

We plan to do the Oodnadatta track in September 2015, as the Ranger is not a 4 x 4 and being fairly inexperienced we didn't want to tackle the Birdsville Track at this stage. We are very interested in the Far North of SA and I myself am a big fan of John McDouall Stuart and what he achieved throughout this country.

Just a few questions about the Oodnadatta track. Is the Pink Roadhouse still open? I know that the owner tragically died a few years back and his wife was in the process of selling the whole outfit.

Is there anything road wise we should be worried about, I have read that it is graded fairly regularly and it's accessible to most vehicles, but just wanted to do my research first, in case of sandy areas, bad corrugations etc..

And finally, is September a good time to go, or is there a better month to consider?

I look forward to hearing from you all and I look forward to reading and learning more about camping in this great land of ours.

Thanks and cheers

Virginia and Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 17:09

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 17:09
The Pink Roadhouse has new owners and is still trading as usual (they have a website). A post here a few days back had feedback on the Oodnadatta road - as long as you have robust tyres, it'll present no problems for your vehicle.
AnswerID: 532273

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 17:47

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 17:47
We had lunch at the Pink roadhouse a couple of weeks ago and all was good.

You would have no problems travelling on the Birdsville, Oodnadatta or Strezlecki track with your vehicle as long as the track is dry.
AnswerID: 532275

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 06:41

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 06:41
Virginia & rob

Firstly welcome!

Don't be put of going up the Birdsville Track, as it is a road that s generally in very good condition and the vehicle will be quite suitable if you drive to the conditions, in fact it would be a good run up to Birdsville from where you are located and plenty to see and do along the way....

Enjoy!
AnswerID: 532311

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:36

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:36
V & R, Stuart was a remarkable fellow.

Arrange to stay at Moolooloo Station in the northern Flinders on the way up or back . . . just up the Glass Gorge loop a little.
http://www.moolooloo.com.au/

They have some comfy shearers qtrs bunks and you can camp.
In the kitchen, you'll find a little Stuart museum with little anecdotes of his travels and return from his 1861 south - north crossing via that property.
AnswerID: 532353

Sponsored Links