Tablet, GPS Bluetooth and Oziexplorer

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2014 at 15:06
ThreadID: 107747 Views:3912 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Good Day

I plan to replace an old PC/Oziexplorer navigation setup by an Android Tablet, a Bluetooth GPS receiver and the Oziexplorer Android version. Only very little information is available on th WEB.

What is your experience with this setup and what combinations of tablet/Bluetooth GPS were successfull/unsuccessfull. Or is it even possible to use the tablet on the dash board without external GPS?

I am looking at the ASUS MeMO Pad HD7 ME173X tablet.

Thank you for your help
Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: evaredy - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 15:34

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 15:34
Hi, I'm not familiar with the tablet you mentioned but do have various Android phones and tablets.
I have a Samsung galaxy tab 10" and an Asus transformer tablet.

I would never buy another Asus product because of their lack of support when my tablets screen cracked, 3 months after buying it, through no fault of my own.

Anyway, most Android tablets have built in GPS so I don't see the need to have a BT GPS.

Many people use this setup when running Ozie/Hema etc, some use 7" tablets and others use 10", there are a variety of mounts available for them as well.

Ram Mounts are very popular for mounting tablets inside the car, if they don't have a mount for your particular model you can buy separate components and make your own.

http://www.rammount.com/tablet_mount_pc_mounts/tablet_mount_pc_mounts.htm#/

just make sure the tablet can accept large capacity memory cards, has good internal memory as well as a fast processor. It would also need to be easily read in sunlight, so something with a mat screen may be better.
AnswerID: 532342

Reply By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 16:03

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 16:03
Hi Andy
I run Oziexplorer on a Motorola Android phone and an Acer Iconia Android tablet. Both of them work fine in the car running off the inbuilt GPS. I can't be sure but the Android version of Ozi may not have all the bells and whistles but it sure is good enough for us.
cheers
Kevin
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532344

Reply By: lizard - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 16:39

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 16:39
I run Hema maps and Oziexplorer on my 7" samsung android - great ......
AnswerID: 532347

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:31

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:31
I run Ozi for Android on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. It's great. The tablet has built-in GPS and works perfectly sitting in a RAM mount to the right of the passenger seat.

In response to your opening post I disabled the inbuilt GPS and tried a Bluetooth external GPS with no joy. It pairs ok, but no satellite data gets through. Not much point in pursuing that, IMO.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 815600

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:32

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:32
Oops, I meant that as a reply, not a Follow-up
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815601

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 10:42

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 10:42
Out of interest, I installed a free app, Bluetooth GPS. It displays GPS position (lat/long and UTM), height, time, speed and course. If your tablet has a cellular connection and is in range it uses google maps and satellite imagery to display your position on a moving display.

But it won't feed Ozi for Android - well, I couldn't find a way to make it happen.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815713

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:26

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:26
Hi Andy,

I'm running my maps on a Samsung Galaxy 10" tablet running Android and Oziexplorer.
Best navigator I have used. Built-in GPS has a clear sky vision from where I have it conveniently sitting on the "Jesus" handle in front of the navigator/passenger. A clip over the top with 3mm shock cord keeps it in place. It does not obstruct road vision.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 532352

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 10:55

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 10:55
Hi Allan, How do you use it for navigation when out of internet range, our Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet won't run the maps when no internet connection. We bought the Samsung because we were told we could use it for all sorts of navigation. Would love to be able to use it when out in the backblocks but looks like we will have to get something else

Cheers Ross.
FollowupID: 815772

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:21

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:21
Ross,

You need to install an app such as OziExplorer for Android (there are others as well) and then install some maps which must be suitable for the app you choose.

Ozi is widely used and there are heaps of suitable maps available.

That will make tour tablet independent of an internet connection.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815774

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:22

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:22
Should be "your tablet" in the last line.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815775

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:36

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 11:36
Hi Ross,

The Samsung Galaxy is equipped with an internal GPS receiver for device location. It also has Mobile Network location function if being used with a SIM card and mobile account however this is not necessary if set up to use a mapping App such as OziExplorer.

It is necessary to ensure that the GPS function is turned on in the Galaxy 'Settings > Personal > 'Use GPS Satellites". I do not use a SIM so have that option turned off.

I use the OziExplorer for Android application and EOToppo maps on a micro SD card. I also have some other maps installed but prefer the EOToppo collection
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 815777

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:56

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 17:56
you can use a BT mouse with your android tablet via numerous apps.
Ive got a mate who has done it as he had the BT mpouse from a previous setup
as others have said only worth it if you want to use the tablet from the middle of the vehicle say in the back of a campervan, with a dash mount it shouldnt be needed
AnswerID: 532355

Reply By: 1533rl - Monday, May 12, 2014 at 20:13

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 20:13
Andy, there is a lot of information on the web!
Try a search on this forum too.
Try this one as well, it is for oziexplorer https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OziUsers-L/conversations/messages
Then there are the specific 4wd forums , most of whom have their own gps sections.
AnswerID: 532368

Reply By: andy - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 03:07

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 03:07
Thanks for all your suggestions

It seems that BT GPS works fine with the common navigation software as Google map and similar ones. However, I could not find any successfull story on the WEB of oziexplorer Android working together with a BT GPS. This confirms Franks experience.

@Frank and Allen
As Samsungs Galaxy Tabs are working allright in your setups I will proceed buying one with an 8" or 10.1" screen and forget about the BT GPS.

Cheers
Andy

AnswerID: 532384

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 07:17

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 07:17
Huh?
The bt gps works as the gps
Doesnt matter what app that uses gps it is.
Told you ive seen it done.
Theres more than a few apps for it and not all apps work as claimed thats more likely tobe franks issue.
FollowupID: 815645

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 05:40

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 05:40
You can use an external bluetooth mouse but it is a pain to keep charged and is a lot more expensive.

It is better to chose a tablet with an integrated GPS ( or AGPS). It will just work and keep working. Most will work fine on the dashboard or sitting on a passengers lap.
AnswerID: 532386

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 20:08

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 20:08
Hi Andy.
Have had ozi running on a samsung 10.1 fora few years now. In built gps is fine and just as accurate as any of the stand alone units i have but much easier to edit waypoints ,tracks etc. Just put it on a kogan agora HD phone with a much smaller screen and works fine so any android device should be fine< operating system in the samsung and angora is the same . Find better maps than hema though if you can they dont have the detail.
cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 532414

Sponsored Links