Toyota Coaster 1990 1Hz LW, Motor Home

Submitted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 12:57
ThreadID: 107755 Views:11263 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
For what's it worth, I bought my 1990 Coaster 1HZ, LW, 10 Years ago with 442,000 km. It was a School Bus with absolutely no Rust! First I was a bit concerned about the high Mileage but was assured by the previous Owner that the Engine (original) goes well and uses no Oil between Oil Changes, which I do every 5000km including Oil Filter.
I have now done 539,350 km without any repair, apart from regular Service and Tyres, I replaced the Shock Absorbers when I bought the Vehicle but are now replacing them again after 90,000 km, We have done thousands of Km of the beaten Track including theBirdsville Track!
I use about 1,lt oil between Oil changes, only because I like to keep the oil on the Dipstick top mark. Our Fuel consumption has been between 12 1/2 and 13 1/2 lt /100Km usually driving around 85-90 Km/Hr.
Because I have an Exhaust Brake, I hardly use any Brakes, we go down most steep Passes without touching the Brake! Friends driving behind us often tell us, you better check your Brake Lights!
I have done my own Conversion, and it worked out very well, with two single Beds, the usual Furniture's, a 110lt 12,24,240V Waco Fridge, Shower, Toilet, 450 AH House Battery, 320W solar Panel with a Redarc 1240 Regulator, which works lake a charm. I also built a Hot water Heat Exchanger run of the Engines Cooling System, which keeps the Water hot for about 1 1/2 days after stopping. I also installed a second fuel Tank of 45lt, which gives us a range of about 1000 Km. Recently I put on a swing-out Alu Box with Bike Rack on top, does not look to bad.
We can free Camp virtually unlimited providing we get Water somewhere, which so far we always managed to do. I am also using a 350W Honda Generator which allows us to charge the House Battery at 18A via a 3 stage 240V Battery Charger if necessary , the Honda 12V Battery Charge outlet is useless! Only 6A at 12 1/2V. However the Generator after 10 Years, has hardly been used. All in all this Vehicle has been exceptional Reliable and Trouble free. Now I hope to get another 50 to 100K of Service,
Provided one gives those Vehicles a regular Service they seem to run for ever.
John
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 13:16

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 13:16
Pics would be great - sounds like an excellent bus. Very Interested in Coaster conversions.
AnswerID: 532405

Reply By: MEMBER Bushbum - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 08:23

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 08:23
Hello john and I found your post most interesting as I have a 1999 Coaster that has done 350,000kms, was a retired school bus when we brought it and had it converted in August/September last year. Since then it has done approximately 10,000 kms and we really enjoy it. It is quite sooty when under any load so yesterday put it in for a major service and to have the injectors cleaned. The repairer rang me and told me the rear bearings and seals need replacing and they probably have never been looked at and the rear drums need machining so that will be done today. I feel that that I have found an honest fellow and am quite happy to have the work done so that we can enjoy trouble free touring. Our bus has a double bed, 150 litre fridge, 290 watts of solar, two 100A/h Batteries and the usual shower and kitchen and is very comfortable. On a 7,700 km trip to S.A. it averaged 13.5l/100kms and I was happy with that considering I previously had a 4.2l Patrol and towing a twenty foot van I used 20.5l/100kms.
You can contact me by email at bushbumswil@bigpond.com and perhaps continue our comparisons and perhaps catch up some where.
Regards,
Ray
AnswerID: 532444

Sponsored Links