Goldstream off road 16ft 6 off road van

Submitted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 19:25
ThreadID: 107772 Views:10792 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, looking at the Goldstream off road 16ft 6 cutaway caravan and loving it but need to know if anyone has anything bad to say !!! We currently have a 21 ft Windsor Statesman Royale on road van but wanting to go off road more, but want all the comforts!! I love the cutaway van and the Goldstream seems very solid. I would love an ensuite but they don't do them in this van .Almost all 'off road van's' seem too big to me ,with too much weight. Can I get some opinions please????
Thanks Lynne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 22:30

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 22:30
Hi, I can't comment on the van you are looking at but we have an Goldstream explorer ST. Its the 14 foot pop top and has a shower and toilet. It is also the offroad model with the independent suspension.
We have had a couple of minor issues with the van and they have been fixed with no questions. The van is 12 months old now and has done a number of trips without a problem. The van is very solid and although heavier than other makes for the size, the build is such that it gives you confidence. There is a Goldsteam owners group and if you go on the website and contact the organiser they may be able to put you in contact with other owners of the model you are looking at.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532472

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 09:17

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 09:17
We've got the same Goldstream model except no shower and toilet. No end of problems including very bad tyre wear, pelmets falling off, drawers opening when on the road even though locked, info plate dropped off chassis, curtain lining full of holes. This lining was eventually replaced as it was obviously faulty material and it arrived from Melbourne screwed up into a tight package which of course meant they had to be ironed before fitting.
Tyre wear etc blamed on abuse/misuse/alignment but the worst worn tyre and shocks replaced after Consumer Affairs WA got onto the retailer George Day.
Then we found 2 wheels were so badly buckled they couldn't be balanced so back I went to the retailer......same old story "misuse/abuse, no claim, not interested" and absolute silence from Goldstream who wouldn't answer emails. I'd taken pics of wheels which showed no damage except for a bit of gravel rash.
But they paid up for replacement wheels, fitting of tyres, costs involved in investigating the cause of probs (all without any assistance from the retailer or Goldstream I might add) after I took action in the small claims court and the van is now not bad.
This van was our second new RV from Goldstream and the third from George Day and that was the treatment meted out to us.
I have to add that the girls in the warranty section at the retailers were fully supportive but there was only so much they were allowed to do by management and our probs couldn't be fixed with a tube of silicone.
Many good threads on here and other forums about crap service so look long and hard before making any decision.....and good luck.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 815770

Reply By: picketts - Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 23:12

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 23:12
Thanks for that !!
AnswerID: 532475

Reply By: Greg & Dianne - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 07:03

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 07:03
Hi Lynne I cant comment on the Goldstream but we have a Coromal 17ft 6 cutaway van off road and just love it it has a shower and toilet. The Coromals appear to be solid we travel off road most of the time and havent encounter any problems ours is a 2000 model and friends have a 2003 model and love theirs. They are both pop tops. Cheers Greg & Di
AnswerID: 532481

Reply By: peter s62 - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 14:01

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 14:01
Hello Lynne/Picketts, I have essentially the van you describe although my internal layout may be different.
I have had an excellent experience with it. I've travelled the Great Central Road, out to Mt Augustus, The Gibb River Road, Roper Hwy to Borroloola plus lots of sealed road - all with hardly an issue.
Call me if you like on 0418.883.159. Rgds PeterS.
AnswerID: 532503

Reply By: Member - BUSH CAMPER - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 17:14

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 17:14
We met up with people travelling in WA 2 years ago, they had a Goldstream off road van and they were going to get rid of it when they returned home as they had many problems. can't remember details, but weight was one of the problems ( to do with compliance plate Vs actual weight. ).
We have an Elite 17' off road van for sale, details in above classifieds in Victoria if interested.
Regards Hugh
AnswerID: 532507

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 21:30

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 21:30
We love our 14ft off-road Goldstream (with ensuite). Previously, we travelled with a very solid but very basic camper trailer or, on some trips, with a tent. We loved that way of travelling but climbing on the roof of the car to get gear became somewhat tedious on long trips. The caravan seems to be pure luxury to us!

We bought it new and after our first major trip in it found a few minor things that needed fixing. This was done without any fuss by the dealer.

We have never really solved the problem of the fridge door that often doesn't stay closed on gravel roads. We jam a $2 coin in the latch and if lucky, that works. We put our camp chairs in their bags on the floor in front of the door and that sometimes helps. But this issue could occur on any van brand with the same fridge. We haven't got round to making a big fuss about it yet (and probably never will).
AnswerID: 532520

Reply By: Member - Graham D2 - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 17:28

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 17:28
Lynne - we have had the 16'6" FKST Panther pop-top fully optioned for 12 months which we bought direct from the factory in Pakenham. It has so far done 10,000kms most of which has been off-road including Vic high country, SW Qld, NE SA & Western NSW and in 5 weeks plan to do the Flinders Ranges, Oodnadatta Tk, Old Ghan Tk & Tanami. We have had a couple of teething problems........ end of sullage outlet broke off by flying rocks (replaced and new guard affixed that actually covered the end of the outlet)....... problem filling front water tank (breather hose re-aligned that fixed the problem) all fixed at no cost.
Have had rain water get in via one of the rear side windows (hole in silastic). Will be fixed at service in 4 weeks. Other than that all good.
Yes the van is a little heavy- with full water tanks it is about 2.4t with a ball weight of 240kgs but drive to the conditions and all is fine.
Good luck with your purchase & travels.
Graham
AnswerID: 532567

Sponsored Links