Drinking water on treks

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 14:13
ThreadID: 10780 Views:2236 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have two questions: (1) Would you wonderful, helpful, readers recommend a water 'bladder' that can sit behind the driver and passenger seat (for example)? or just a plastic container?

If the former, can you help me find a supplier, please?!

(2) What should I put in the water to make it drinkable? (i.e. recommended purifier) or if a campsite says it's drinkable, do we leave it as is?

Thanks peeps.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 14:27

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 14:27
If you can , the bladder style are pretty damn good. Fit in the footwell of the rear seat . . . some fit into the rear quarter panels . . .

Not real cheap . . . ARB have them.

2. You cans always boil the water . . .
AnswerID: 48039

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 14:44

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 14:44
Depends on how much you want to carry (time away, number of people), how much room you have, how much you want to pay etc. Bladders can carry heaps. Do a search on internet and you'll find heaps of suppliers. All (most) 4WD stores like ARB & TJM etc should have them. Not exactly cheap (when compared to plastic containers). Another possibility is a caravan type water tank.
Due to legal issues I imagine every "campsite" these days would be telling you if the water isn't suitable for drinking. If you're picking up water from an unknown source Puritabs work (but don't taste particularly nice). Go to a camping store - they'll have them. Must be used at the specified rate to be any good. There are others but I've never used them.
AnswerID: 48041

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 16:10

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 16:10
Sandie, we have used a bladder from OPP Lock for several years ,holds about 55 ltrs & lays on the floor behind front seats. If you top up in the bush would recommend the pills camping shops sell. Wash out the bladder with a bleach mix & then rinse with a bi carb mix from memory instructions were included. We also carry a couple of those 10ltr casks of filtered water. When we take the camper all up we have 250 ltrs of water ( Lex likes her shower ) & if she's happy makes my life easier.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 48053

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 21:11

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 21:11
I prefer water in multiple containers - you can separate good water from dodgy water, and were you to get a leak, you don't lose the lot.
AnswerID: 48092

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 00:44

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 00:44
ny collapsibble /flexible bladders from these guys , cant remeber the prices but were better than ARB listed prices and more variety.
gaurenteed taste free.

hope it helps

http://www.turtlepac.com/frameset.asp?pagejump=tanks

dont ask me how i found him.
oops sprung!!
AnswerID: 48136

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:48

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:48
Might I suggest contacting Whitworths Marine - : www.whitworthsmarine.com.au
They have a mail order catalogue which you can request and mine is sent to me regularly with updates. They have a massive array of gear mostly used for boats but a huge amount of the gear is also suitable for around the 4x4, trailers, caravans etc. and I find their prices heaps cheaper than most of the 4x4 accessory stores. The flexible water tanks they supply are double skinned and suitable for laying on the deck of a boat in the salt and sun, the 100 lt tank price is $119.oo. Thats a lot of water so you don't have to fill them full and could lay them in the back, remember to order some hose and caps for the filler and outlet. They also supply water purifiers, in line pump filters, the list is endless.
No I don't work for them, just giving you blokes the good oil. Worth a look.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 48148

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 14:57

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 14:57
Would endorse Cocka's comments re Whitworths.
Their service is as good as their prices too. Catalogue is a wealth of info,

Hooroo...

FollowupID: 310106

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:25

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:25
Whitworths sell 'Puratabs' used a lot in the marine industry to purify water in boat tanks. They will send you a catalogue & price list if you ring your nearest branch.
FollowupID: 310138

Sponsored Links