Birdsville Races

Submitted: Friday, May 16, 2014 at 09:10
ThreadID: 107800 Views:2642 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am travelling to the races this year. I am driving a 100 series cruiser and my mate is bringing his Mitsubishi Triton turbo diesel 2wd. I was considering coming back via the Birdsville track and was wondering if his vehicle would be capable of making the trip. He is towing a camper trailer but if there were any tough places to get through I was thinking I could tow it as I'm just not towing anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 09:47

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 09:47
No problems at all JT, as long as it's dry and tyre pressures are reduced on vehicle and camper.
LT type AT tyres would be best though, road tyres might take a beating if the corros are rough.

Coming back via BT ?
Are you going in from the east ?
AnswerID: 532542

Reply By: wato35 - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 09:57

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 09:57
Just check to see if there has been any unexpected rain in that area before you go.
You should not have any problems, just drive to the conditions.
Wato
AnswerID: 532545

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 10:02

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 10:02
The Birdsville Track is generally in very good condition and almost like a highway more than a track, and it is more than suitable for travel in two-wheel drive vehicles with the appropriate care and "drive to conditions" attitude...

Enjoy...
AnswerID: 532546

Reply By: Member - IAN G5 - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 13:14

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 13:14
I have just come down the Birdsville Track from Birdsville, south through to Pt Augusta--left last Sunday 11th May and the track was like a highway. Early in the season though it can become chopped up with more traffic. regards Ian
AnswerID: 532554

Reply By: Just tired - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 14:03

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 14:03
Les

I will be coming back via BT it's on my bucket list as are the races. Thinking about going there via Cameron's Corner, Inaminka and Cordillo Downs.
AnswerID: 532555

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 16:10

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 16:10
Heya Tom, cool mate.
We came down to Inna via Walkers Crossing, not sure what Cordillo way is / was like, as I haven't done that route before (will do it one day, need to see that shearing shed !).

I think the Strz Tk has many more corros (then the BV Tk) at the moment from the brief bit we did from Inna to Mt Hopeless, also the truck traffic is much higher up to Inna, B doubles etc, lots of dust.
We came down the Old Strz Tk to Merty Merty too, and avoided a lot of this, not as rough or bulldust either.

The races would be great all right, but 7000+ people ?
Suppose the atmosphere would be great, but get there early to get a good spot if camping on the river, I expect accom and cara pk would get booked out pretty quick.

If I do it one year, I reckon I'd fit in the 3 events of the Desert Race Carnival (I think it's Betoota fist, then BV, then Bedourie) to make a trifecta trip of it.
FollowupID: 815854

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 15:17

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 15:17
Tom,

Be careful of the floodways, if the grader hasn't been on the Track for sometime.

"They" filled these with rough gravel, to help when it's been wet, but with constant traffic, there are often sharp, or protruding rocks, that can really knock tyres about, Slow down a bit, and be a bit cautious.

Otherwise, I'd agree with everyone's comments.

Enjoy, it's great country,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532561

Reply By: Off-track - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 17:08

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 17:08
Just about any vehicle will get through the Birdsville Highway these days, unless it's wet. It's better than some tar highways and most roadwork detours you're ever to come across. In years gone by Falcons, Kingswoods and Valiants dealt with much worse.

The only real points to consider is high clearance (soft-roader height or greater), reasonably strong tyres as there are some sharp stones and take plenty of water/supplies as it is remote country (although you would be pretty unlucky if you didnt see 20 vehicles a day pass). Tyres I keep at highway pressure to protect the sidewalls. If very corrugated you then may wish to lower for comfort and reduce vibration.

A couple of years ago we passed a Nissan Micra coming out of Lake Eyre NP and several large motorhomes rumbling along the Birdsville...
AnswerID: 532564

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 17:15

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 17:15
As mentioned above, it's hardly a track but more a highway these days, wet weather will be the one thing that could cause you issues though.

AnswerID: 532566

Reply By: Just tired - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 18:31

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 18:31
Thank you everyone foe your replies. I thought it was doable I'll just have to convince my mate to do it. If you live in Sydney 7000 people won't phase me. I've heard it's school ides for over fifties. Let the good times roll.

Cheers Tom
AnswerID: 532574

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 12:43

Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 12:43
Moreso getting a spot to camp Tom.
Not much accom in town, fairly big camping area at the cara park, but I feel it would fill petty quick (or be crowded and facilities under pressure).
Which leaves areas along the Diamantina River, first in best camped :)
FollowupID: 815976

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 16:22

Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 16:22
To get a proper 'feel' for Birdsville you should look into getting there well before race day ,try to spend 3=4 days before the Friday , that way you stand a better chance of finding a campsite to suit , the madness usually starts round Wednesday and by Thursday afternoon it can be tent peg on tent peg ,
AnswerID: 532698

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 20:42

Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 20:42
I see the majority are calling it a highway & downplaying it, but wasn't many years ago, around 2004 I think, that a lady driving a Suzuki Vita got stuck & subsequently perished.
The vehicle was towed in to Birdsville while we were there, quite a sobering experience to see it.
So it still pays to treat any Outback track with respect!

AnswerID: 532716

Sponsored Links